Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 AM

137 posts, read 239,575 times

Advertisements

The most recent issue of Consumer Reports actually covers these companies. Xfinity was rated pretty low. I think FIOS was in the middle-high range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 AM

220 posts, read 836,151 times
The Comcast = coax, Verizon FIOS = Fiber is just a misconception. Comcast has fiber for years. Comcast fiber stops at the pole whilst Verizon fiber stops at the side of your house. They all converted to coax inside your home...big deal! The fiber craps spread by Verizon is a sham. Has anyone paused for a moment to think...did Verizon run fiber to every room in my house? I can help with that....NO!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 PM

49 posts, read 185,148 times
Default Def FiOS

FiOS is a dedicated fiber path that is future proof. Cable is shared by your neighbors...which is why your connection is slower when everyone comes home from work. As Video on Demand, and other internet bandwidth hogs, become more prevalent FiOS will shine even more while Comcast's shared connection hits turtle speed. "Xfinity" is just a marketing name for the same old comcrap...like putting a tux on a pig. Go with FiOS.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Default Xfinity all the way

Am satisfied with Xfinity....

Good service, good prices, fast internet.

Fios wasn't all it cracked up to be. in my opinion

Old 04-15-2011, 10:46 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Whatever Xfinity is rated in my opinion I like it better than Fios, you have more options for on demand and other things. Fios claims they have more, but in reality there's ore with Xfinity/comcast. I think Xfinity internet is faster too, and we only had problems when we had fios. Never had a problem with Comcast yet. The internet runs just fine and the price is fair, they have good deals where you can get all 3 for a low price for a year or something like that. at times.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinda94 View Post
FIOS hands down!

FIOS = fibre(quality)

Xfinity = coax
FiOS is delivered to the house over fiber and then converts back to coax, same as Comcast.

Comcast delivers to the node (1 node typically services a couple blocks) with fiber, then feeder coax (RG-650) to the tap and coax to your house.

The fact that Verizon WASTES fiber is to give you the illusion that your getting better quality due to it being fiber which isn't the case. The coax is MORE than enough. FiOS is better because for now there just giving better deals on programming not because of the fiber. I'm a telecom technician. I did a lot of work in Both Comcast head ends AND Verizon Central Offices... so YA I know what I'm talking about

Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 AM

53 posts, read 199,340 times
If you have FIOS already installed, its an option and go with the best price/service for you. If you don't have FIOS installed (even if its offered) STAY AWAY.. they have to install a big box and phone and will butcher your house to do it.

Also.. as others have mentioned, the fiber optics is BS because it ends once it enters your home.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,920 times
I have had both Fios and Xfinity and I am sticking with Xfinity. Much better on demand and my Internet is faster too, also the ease of using all the mobile app's and cool features that Verizion doesn't offer... BOTH ARE FIBER OPTIC. If you shop you can get really good deals on Xfinity.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveswetlow View Post
I have had both Fios and Xfinity and I am sticking with Xfinity. Much better on demand and my Internet is faster too, also the ease of using all the mobile app's and cool features that Verizion doesn't offer... BOTH ARE FIBER OPTIC. If you shop you can get really good deals on Xfinity.
FiOS has tons of mobile apps for my phone. There's one that turns my phone into a remote, on that allows me to manage my DVR on my phone, and a couple others.

I too have had both, but I prefer FiOS. I find my internet speeds are faster, there are plenty of on demand offerings on FiOS, and there seem to be WAY more HD channels on FiOS. Plus, the FiOS on-screen guide displays more channels (without ads too) and I like the way the channels are arranged. With FiOS all the HD channels are blocked together where as with Xfinity the SD & HD channles are intermixed. I don't generally watch SD channels so I really like that feature.

With either there are going to be some things you do or don't like. I don't think either is absolutely horrible.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Have been with Comcast since 2006 without any issues. We now have xfinity tv, internet and phone. Before that had Verizon DSL and had too many outages and they couldn't service you on weekends and had limited call center hours, so we switched to Comcast and never looked back. Back then I found the Verizon customer service to be very lacking, not sure how it is today.

Unlike some posts on this thread, I've always found the Comcast customer service to be very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts