Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 14,886 times

Advertisements

Wondering what people think about these three towns. I know everyone has different preferences about bigger-smaller, more-less rural or closer to this or that, but I'm but wondering primarily about how these towns compare in terms of things like town and community services, community involvement, in town amenities, schools, traffic, and any other dynamics one might not really pick up from just driving through or poking around on the internet.

Thanks for any opinions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjd View Post
Wondering what people think about these three towns. I know everyone has different preferences about bigger-smaller, more-less rural or closer to this or that, but I'm but wondering primarily about how these towns compare in terms of things like town and community services, community involvement, in town amenities, schools, traffic, and any other dynamics one might not really pick up from just driving through or poking around on the internet.

Thanks for any opinions!
Based on what I've heard Medway has the best schools, probably followed by Norfolk then Millis. I've heard complaints about Norfolk lacking community, both Medway and Millis always seemed more friendly to me. Norfolk has very high taxes due to almost no business in town.

With that said I don't think the 3 are dramatically different.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Actually, Millis has the best schools of the 3. Norfolk has the commuter rail, but other than that there is really nothing there in terms of shopping.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,965 times
As a one time resident of Medway and now living lived in several areas I still have only one place I call home and that is Medway. I left roughly 20 years ago and have lived in Florida immediately after leaving Medway There is no comparison I am now living in Pittsfield MA. As a long time friend once told me Medway is like a magnet pulling everyone who has left back to it. I am a 1975 graduate of Medway Jr Sr High.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Actually, Millis has the best schools of the 3. Norfolk has the commuter rail, but other than that there is really nothing there in terms of shopping.
Can this be backed up by stats such as MCAS scores and college acceptance rates, or is this based on personal experience and/or word of mouth?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:07 PM

13 posts, read 22,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Based on what I've heard Medway has the best schools, probably followed by Norfolk then Millis. I've heard complaints about Norfolk lacking community, both Medway and Millis always seemed more friendly to me. Norfolk has very high taxes due to almost no business in town.

With that said I don't think the 3 are dramatically different.

Actually, Medway has the highest taxes of these 3 towns. I believe right around 17%, while Norfolk is around 14.5%. Not quite sure what the Millis rate is but it's less than Medway.

I myself am looking at homes in these 3 towns, but focusing mainly on Norfolk. I grew up in Walpole which is right next door and we have friends that live in Norfolk.

A few things to note about Norfolk:
1) No town trash service, but you can hire private pickup
2) Has it's own elementary schools which I hear great things about. Middle and High school is shared with Wrentham and Plainville. You'll find mixed opinions on the high school but overall its well regarded.
3) No grocery store in town, but you can drive 10-15 min outside of town and get to one. Millis and Medway probably have more to offer in terms of shopping areas and downtown.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 PM

34 posts, read 90,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Can this be backed up by stats such as MCAS scores and college acceptance rates, or is this based on personal experience and/or word of mouth?

In 2010, Millis earned Silver Medal status as one of America's Best High Schools in US News and World Report's latest ranking of public high schools. The magazine editors analyzed 18,743 high schools in the United States and ranked Millis High School in the top 3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts