Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,691 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I was born in (and raised) near Boston. I aways loved it there but I don't think I ever really appreciated what it meant to me. And I never thought... never thought... never realized. I never realized how important Boston was... or is... to me.

I always loved it... I'd never willingly leave. I never (in my wildest dreams) thought I'd be away from home.

Well... we had to move quickly... don't think I'd ever ever have departed but we had toxic mold and my partner had severe medical problems. (Now know that she has RA & MS.)

We had to move in with her family... in Missouri. And we lost nearly everything.

Very hard. It was so hard... but not as hard as leaving my lifelong home.

I hate it here. There are practically no trees and the horizon stretches forever. No wonder they talk about God so much. The sky is so big you naturally imagine that someone is looking down on you.

I miss the trees so very much.

And... I know it sound awful to say this... but everyone here sounds (and acts) like a fugitive from Hee Haw. The first person I talked to here (a lady in a video rental place) asked me... wait... I ought to explain this... I have a last name that is also the name of a famous killer... like, you know, if my name was Manson. (It isn't.)

Anyway, back to the lady in the video place... while I was signing up.. she asked, in all seriousness, if I was related to the murderer in question. It was along the lines of...

"Are you..." hushed voice "...kin to him?"

I said that I was... and I should never have dropped him on his head when I was baby-sitting for his folks. You should have seen the look on her face.

Anyway, if you're from NE and are lucky enough to still be there... well... I sure do envy you.

I dearly miss Massachusetts. I miss Boston... the Arlington St. Church... the Hancock Tower... the Magnolias on Comm Ave.

I miss the Cape... especially Orleans and Old Silver Beach. I miss Canobie Lake Park.

And the T.

I miss how familiar and beautiful it all is.

And I miss, more than anything, how much I miss it all.

The thought of the Common just breaks my heart.

I told my partner that if she could give me one gift (in case we never get home while I'm alive) that it would be to take me home, and scatter my ashes in a special place in Massachusetts..

I know it's bad to be so unhappy... I try very hard... I'm only sad to be where I am.

Anyone who has known and loved New England... and then lost New England, as I have... well, I guess they know what I mean.

Please write back. Talking about home would mean so much to me.

If I don't hear from you, then I really hope you get home someday.

Michele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Hey Michele: So very sorry that you are unhappy in Missouri. Any chance you could save up for a few years--since you're living with your partner's family--and then move back to MA? It will always be here, you know.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodandivory View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was born in (and raised) near Boston. I aways loved it there but I don't think I ever really appreciated what it meant to me. And I never thought... never thought... never realized. I never realized how important Boston was... or is... to me.

I always loved it... I'd never willingly leave. I never (in my wildest dreams) thought I'd be away from home.

Well... we had to move quickly... don't think I'd ever ever have departed but we had toxic mold and my partner had severe medical problems. (Now know that she has RA & MS.)

We had to move in with her family... in Missouri. And we lost nearly everything.

I hate it here. There are practically no trees and the horizon stretches forever. No wonder they talk about God so much. The sky is so big you naturally imagine that someone is looking down on you.

And... I know it sound awful to say this... but everyone here sounds (and acts) like a fugitive from Hee Haw. The first person I talked to here (a lady in a video rental place) asked me... wait... I ought to explain this... I have a last name that is also the name of a famous killer... like, you know, if my name was Manson. (It isn't.)

Anyway, back to the lady in the video place... while I was signing up.. she asked, in all seriousness, if I was related to the murderer in question. It was along the lines of...

I said that I was... and I should never have dropped him on his head when I was baby-sitting for his folks. You should have seen the look on her face.

Anyway, if you're from NE and are lucky enough to still be there... well... I sure do envy you.

I dearly miss Massachusetts. I miss Boston... the Arlington St. Church... the Hancock Tower... the Magnolias on Comm Ave.

I miss the Cape... especially Orleans and Old Silver Beach. I miss Canobie Lake Park.

And the T.

I told my partner that if she could give me one gift (in case we never get home while I'm alive) that it would be to take me home, and scatter my ashes in a special place in Massachusetts..

I know it's bad to be so unhappy... I try very hard... I'm only sad to be where I am.

Anyone who has known and loved New England... and then lost New England, as I have... well, I guess they know what I mean.

Michele
Michele, My heart goes out to you. We are in somewhat of a similiar situation except that know one is ill. I had lived in Lexington two years ago and fell in love with the area, but after only a year, the pull to be around family back home in California, brought us back and although I love my family and cherish being able to see and hold them instead of using a phone, I have missed Ma. ever since.
We were hoping to be back the end of this month, but the finances have not come through to do this. I have been searching,calling,asking and looking for a place for us to live back in Ma. for over 10 months, only to find that the money we hoped we would have may be delayed or not even come through. So now we are in a state of flux, when I want to be in the state of Ma.
You have a great sense of humor which is a gift when times a bad. Loved your story at the video store! I hope you are able to save the money to go back to your home. Is there a job in Ma. you could apply for...anything...rent a room for you and your partner while you get on your feet? My little family had to move in with my husbands mom in the armpit of California after living in one of the nicest areas of Ventura County due to no income. I'm sure in some ways MO is similiar to Bakersfield,Ca. The lack of beauty and culture is what makes you crave Ma. I understand.

Last edited by puffle; 08-16-2007 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-16-2007, 01:33 PM

20 posts, read 158,180 times
Michele,
I know exactly what you mean. Although I was born in "Miszoura" a long time ago, I am eternally grateful my parents moved east...and especially their choice of Boston. I didn't know it at the time, but growing up in the Bay State, in those days, had so many more opportunities. As you know, some folks bloom where they are planted, others not. Some leave because of overwhelming personal events that drive them to carve out a new life without constant reminders. With the passing of time, most of us choose to remember the best. IMHO there are a lot of "bests" associated with New England. Like you, if I suddendly found myself exiled back to the tiny town of my brith, I think I would have a very tough time. Yea, I'd miss the tall trees but I'd probably miss the fresh seafood more than anything. It's always a personal thing, you know. But, then I might remember that in Missouri I learned to ride a horse, driver a tractor, and come to know men who were really good with a real six-shooter. Such skills were not much known, needed, or apprciated by my new-found friends on Beacon Hill. In the end, if you wish to return, you can. In some respects, it will seem as though you never went away. All the familar things will still be here when you return, plus some crazy new stuff that makes for interesting reading in the "Globe."

Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM

60 posts, read 222,631 times
Michele: you have a good sense of humor; it's an "east coast" humor that many people from other parts of the country just "don't get". We walk and talk a little faster and have a quicker wit. I mean no disrespect to anyone else. My family and I have lived in several different states and have enjoyed learning about all the different subcultures in our country. We currently live in the midwest in a beautiful area but are outsiders here. We may soon have an opportunity to move back east, possibly western MA, and are excited about the idea. If I was in your situation, I would write down everything (like your visit to the video store) and turn it into a book. Who knows? That may help you find your dream. I wish you both well.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

And the T.

Michele
I think you need to go back to Ma because you're not happy where you are. Do what you need to return home.

greenie

Old 08-18-2007, 07:05 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Wow, Michele, you are making me miss Boston and I've never even been there.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:37 PM

35 posts, read 196,760 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

And the T.

Michele

Michele,

Stay strong, your partner needs you.

Remember... we're in the process of implementing UNIVERSAL Healthcare in Massachusetts.

My mom had a stroke last year and has been treated for FREE. She literally has only had some small copays for prescriptions. She also was treated for early bladder cancer. Overall she is very healthy, I thank my state everyday.

Thanks be to the Grace of God, and the Commonwealth!

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 21,553 times
Default I feel you Michele

Hi Michele,

I posted to the "Do you Miss Massachusetts" thread last month and felt practically attacked. Most of the responses were so negative. However, I can identify with how you feel. I moved to Richmond, VA in 1997 and needless to say I regretted it. My grown son rode back to Mass on the first train when he turned 18. I don't know what I was thinking. I am seriously contemplating now on heading back. I am actually applying for apartments now as I speak.

I know how it feels to have to make decisions based on loved ones and loved ones situations. I moved here to be closer to family and my elders. No one knows how depressed I have felt in this last decade. My mom says no matter where you run you will always be depressed because It starts with me. I need to be happy with myself. In Virginia I am the square peg and you know what I do not want to fit in here.

Just know that someone feels the same way you do. Family first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts