Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 14,819 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move from the Chicago suburbs to Ma. I have a lot of questions and hope that anyone can give me a little insight. My husband would be working in Hingham and we would want to live somewhere that is no more than 20-30 minutes away. We have 2 children ages 4 and 6, and would of course want a good school district, activities for the children, and an environment that would promote making new friends. We would like an area that offers restaurants, shopping, and entertainment with a feeling of a community not just strip malls for miles and miles. Our housing budget could go as high as 850k. These are just some areas to start. I am sure I will have more questions as I continue to research different areas. Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,079 times
Smile Actually Hingham is nice.

Actually Hingham is a good choice. for what your looking for. Hingham has a good school system, nice downtown, nice houses that are in your price range, and you have (in my opinion) the biggest perk of all you right by the ocean. Though I heard that people that have gotten use to the lakes don't like the ocean and it salty content. Just what I've heard.
Town of Hingham Massachusetts, Incorporated 1635

You could also look into

Duxbury: again good school system, nice general area to live.
Welcome to Duxbury, MA

Cohassett: great schools, beautiful town in itself, But the prices are rather high for houses. You would probably be buying at the lower end of the housing market there.
Cohasset Chamber of Commerce

Scituate: Good schools, the downtown is getting better looking (I thought it was a dive up until 5 years ago), it's nice town in General.
Welcome to the Town of Scituate Massachusetts

All of these towns offer stuff for kids to do. I thinking that Hingham may offer the most.

As for making friends. You kids are young enough that they will have not problems.
But if you have never lived in our area before You and Your husband might have a larger issue with that.
Please read this thread so your not walking into a big culture shock.

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...2-fitting.html

Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM

I have looked into Hingham, Scituate, and Cohasset. What are your thoughts on Norwell, Hanover, and Marshfield? It looks like they have good schools and the housing prices are ok, but I can't tell from the maps what the commute time would be like or what the towns are like. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times
Hanover is the best, in my opinion, out of the three. But I agree with Baystater on his recommendations. Hingham is a great town! Duxbury is very upscale and super nice. Of all the places listed on this thread, so far, I would probably buy in Duxbury--not because it's "upscale," but because it's really just a lovely town.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM

Default From marshfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoursome View Post
I have looked into Hingham, Scituate, and Cohasset. What are your thoughts on Norwell, Hanover, and Marshfield? It looks like they have good schools and the housing prices are ok, but I can't tell from the maps what the commute time would be like or what the towns are like. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Believe it or not my parents live in Marshfield. And I was actually was raised there. The reason I didn't bring up marshfield it because 1. Didn't think it best fit what you need. And 2. I'm afraid if people keep moving to my home town it's going to become completely unfordable. LOL! But here's the lowdown on Marsh-Vegas. Nice town overall. Pretty good schools, have about 5 different beaches you can go to in the town, Has a 24 hours CVS, Skate park,Great library, does have a lot more strip-mall stores on 3A ( A major road in area) but also has more quaint mom and pop stores throughout the town. Also I must say marshfield is big there really 5 section to the town. Brant Rock, Hummer rock, Green harbor, Rexhame, and Marshfield Hills/North Marshfield. All are pretty good areas. If you not a real beach person then I might suggest Marshfield hills it probably the nicer looking part of the town over all. But if your like me. and love the beach then Green harbor maybe more for you. It flood a little less if there's a major storm than the other beach areas. As for the community and the people. It hard to say at the moment when I grew it it was a blue collar town filled with people that came originally from Boston. But now it seems to be changing over to a more white collar town and less standoffish than it use to be. If you moved there, your kids would be fine and would make friends no problem. the town is safe and the police keep a good watch. Just be more mindful in the summer when more outsiders come to town. Oh also forgot to say there is a a fair grounds in the town that is used for different occasions, flea market, car shows, and of course for the once a year Marshfield fair that comes to town.

Welcome to Marshfield, Massachusetts

Marshfield, Massachusetts

As for Norwell. Nice quaint quiet town. Not sure about is schools. in general the town is pretty picturesque.

NorwellMA.com

As for Hanover. Nota bad town. I find it to be a bit busier than the other towns I mentioned. Schools are good, Has a large mall with outlet stores, Don't know how the community is there because I never really hung out here.

Town of Hanover

Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Norwell is a great town, pretty upscale. Of all the towns you mentioned, I'd go with Duxbury. Good schools, the beach, lots of activities for kids. They have a newcomer's club: The Duxbury Newcomers Club

Old 08-31-2007, 07:23 PM

Thanks for all the input. Each town in the Chicago suburbs has a great park district program. They offer things like community pools, athletic leagues for the kids, preschool programs, dance programs as well as some adult programs. Does the south shore area have something similar or is everything more privatized? Also do you think the weather is pretty comparable to Chicago's? We basically have humid hot summers, cool beautiful falls (my favorite), winters have been milder in recent years with only a couple of major snowfalls, and short wet rainy springs.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Should be in the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoursome View Post
Thanks for all the input. Each town in the Chicago suburbs has a great park district program. They offer things like community pools, athletic leagues for the kids, preschool programs, dance programs as well as some adult programs. Does the south shore area have something similar or is everything more privatized? Also do you think the weather is pretty comparable to Chicago's? We basically have humid hot summers, cool beautiful falls (my favorite), winters have been milder in recent years with only a couple of major snowfalls, and short wet rainy springs.
Most of the stuff you asked for should be in the links the others and I have given you. Yes we have community programs. Would say that our community programs are probably not quite on the level of Chicago or is immediate suburbs. But OK. Would say. Also have many private institutions for the stuff your look for as well. So I'd say it a Mix of the two.

community pools: I think only Duxbury has a pool. it has a relatively small fee to use it year round. Most of the towns except Hanover have access to the ocean. So why build a pool?
Town of Duxbury, MA - Percy Walker Pool

With the weather. Don't think it will be hard to adapt for you hear Physically. Sound about the same as here. You guys probably get more snow than we do. But you don't Nor' eastern like us.
Howstuffworks "What is a Nor'easter?"

Old 09-02-2007, 10:06 AM

84 posts, read 360,168 times
Growing up on the south shore, I always though of Duxbury (Deluxe-bury) as the most exclusive of the towns mentioned. I also believe based on rankings I saw that Norwell and Hingham have the best public school systems. I am a product of the Scituate schools, and while I recieved a quality education I didn't feel like I was as prepared for college level school work as I could have been (I went to a top 50-60 University). Cohasset is a beautiful town as well. Take a drive down Jerusalem Road and you will see what some insanely large houses. Commuting from any of the towns to Hingham would be a breeze so that shouldn't be an issue. As for the beaches, the Scituate beaches are quickly disappearing due to erosion (look at what Minot Beach has become). I can't really comment on the community programs since I don't think I took advantage of any of them.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:18 AM

116 posts, read 316,660 times
I would choose Cohasset or Hingham if I were you. GIven that your budget is $850k, I wouldn't go to a town like Marshfield! You can afford a nice town like Duxbury, Hingham, Norwell or Cohasset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts