Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 AM

224 posts, read 947,076 times

Advertisements

Has anyone confirmed the OP means Boston when he says Mass? He might mean central or Western Mass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
Malden and Peabody have a large Brazilian community and are cheaper than most other towns.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 459 times
My wife lives in dorchester Massachusetts,I am a Jamaican, we get married recently, she is a bus driver,and I am a auto mechanic,but Massachusetts is a expensive place,but she said we can still live a reasonable lives,but how are we going to own a house,with these high prices.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
Well, here in Brazil I am an art teacher. In America I did study one year doing Early Childhood Education, but never got to finished. But I did finish it here in Brazil Pedagogy which is the same thing as Early childhood Education, but I will have to see if my diploma is valid there and what will be lacking in my curriculum so I can have my teaching certificate there.

I am doing my research, so I can make a clear decision if I should go back to America or just stick around here for a while longer.
I am willing to do any kind of job, untill I settle down there. My cousin lives in MA and I have some friends but each say different things about living in MA. Some say it is good, some say it is bad.

So I am a little confused lol.
Regarding what living here is like, you'll see the same thing on these forums. Some people love it here, others want to leave. At a top level, here are some points I can think of for the Boston region - mind you, New England is bigger than the Boston area...

Negatives:
- Cold winters, and by March, most everyone is really sick of winter. It's not like Alaska, mind you, but yeah, winter here is colder, darker and snowier than in most of the country.
- Cost of living, especially in the Boston region, is very high, one of the most expensive areas in the USA. For many ordinary people, affording housing is a big challenge, and they may be forced to live in towns or neighborhoods which aren't very attractive and/or where crime may be an issue

Positives:
- Strong employment picture, particular in biotech, pharmaceuticals, and to some extent, electronics and software
- A lot of geographic diversity, with a beautiful coast down on Cape Cod, lovely forests in the countryside and mountains nearby (2 hours drive) in NH, VT, and ME
- A lot of local history, and for better or for worse, many old buildings and homes
- Strong education, from elementary schools right on up to graduate schools. As you may know, in the US, primary and secondary education is largely funded with city/town taxes, so the quality of this schooling varies a lot by town still
- A good deal of diversity in the backgrounds of people - people settle in the Boston area from all over the world, often drawn to the area by the universities or the tech jobs initially...
- Mild summers, the counterpart to our cold winters

Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
- Mild summers, the counterpart to our cold winters
Mild-ish. We had a couple weeks in the 90s. Lows in the mid 70s in late August/early September. This last summer was pretty bad. Not to mention the humidity here is very high. The great thing about New England weather is the fall, in my opinion. Can't be beat.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
This thread is from 2012.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Mild-ish. We had a couple weeks in the 90s. Lows in the mid 70s in late August/early September. This last summer was pretty bad. Not to mention the humidity here is very high. The great thing about New England weather is the fall, in my opinion. Can't be beat.
If you run down the eastern seaboard, by the time you get to say, VA, most of the days in Jun thru Aug are in the 90s, and by the time you get to the Deep South and the Gulf states, they have something like 6 months of weather that are mostly in the 90s. 2 weeks in the 90s, which is normal here, is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts