Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:06 PM

126 posts, read 711,468 times

Advertisements

I am visiting family in Massachusetts this summer and really want to go to the beach! I would love a beach that has an amusement style pier/boardwalk type atmosphere. Any beaches like that in Massachusetts?Also, what are the nicest beaches overwall, nicest sand and water? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
You might like Salisbury Beach or Hampton Beach. Hampton is just over the border in NH. I personally like Misquamicut Beach in RI because the water is a little warmer, but I don't know id there is a boardwalk or amusement park along the beach area.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
You might like Salisbury Beach or Hampton Beach. Hampton is just over the border in NH. I personally like Misquamicut Beach in RI because the water is a little warmer, but I don't know id there is a boardwalk or amusement park along the beach area.
Hampton Beach is the only beach I can think of that has a boardwalk-type atmosphere. Nantasket Beach, which is maybe 20 or so miles outside of Boston, used to have that atmosphere back when Paragon Park was around. The carousel is still there, but I believe all the honky-tonk game arcades are gone now.

Many Massachusetts beaches are on either state or federal land and therefore have little to no development within their boundaries except for maybe a snack bar and restrooms.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Hampton Beach is probably your best bet. Revere Beach could work, but it's in a much more urban area and not as nice as Hampton (as far as the beach goes). Old Orchard Beach in Maine would also fit the bill and there's actually rail service from Boston directly to the beach (Amtrak Downeaster)

Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
One thing to bear in mind is that Hampton and Old Orchard have fairly cold water in the summertime, averaging around 60 degrees. The warmest temps are usually in early August (63 in Hampton, 62 in OOB on average). Old Orchard has an amusement park, but Hampton doesn't.

The most pristine, beautiful beaches are on the Outer Cape along the Cape Cod National Seashore, but these beaches have no amenities to speak of. And the water here isn't a whole lot warmer than up north.

The warmest water is on the southern side of Cape Cod, the South Coast, or in Rhode Island, averaging around 70 degrees. I'm not sure about a beach that matches your requirement for a boardwalk, though.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
This article rates the best boardwalks in the USA. The only one in New England that makes it is the Sandwich Boardwalk which is NOT what you are looking for. It's literally a boardwalk- a walkway over a marsh made out of boards. :-) It's a fun place to catch crabs....just not the Jersey Shore kind.

Agree Hampton would be your best bet. Enjoy!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I would suggest Old Orchard Beach up in Maine. They have the carnival and white, sandy, rock free beaches that go on for miles. I live on White Horse Beach in Plymouth and I love going to Old Orchard. No comparison.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Yes, you're looking for Old Orchard Beach in Maine.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 AM

244 posts, read 573,091 times
Thanks for posting this as we are looking to take a beach vacation up in New England after moving to Mass this summer. Does anyone know if any of these beaches accept dogs? The ones here in MD let you have them b/t Labor Day and Memorial Day but not during the summer tourist season.
Also, how long of a drive is Old Orchard Beach in Maine from the Boston area?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 AM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
There's a beach that I love but I don't want to mention or else everyone will go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts