Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 03:05 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times

Advertisements

The kids and I made a visit to Holyoke yesterday. The 8 year old was ready to turn around and go home. The place was really rundown and scary looking. We went to the Holyoke Children's Museum. The Children's Museum was small, but a lot of fun for the kiddos. After a couple of hours tho they were done with it all. It's right on the river and there is a state park right beside of the museum. There was a small playground in view of the river. And we walked over for a ride on the Holyoke Merry Go Round. It was $2 a person. It was the fastest Merry Go Round I've ever been on. I couldn't believe how fast it went!

It was a nice day trip. The parking garage charged me $0.50 to park. I was shocked! Admission to the museum was $6 per person.

It was a cheap day for sure compared to visiting the Children's Museum in Boston.

I can't say that I'm interested in rushing back for a 2nd visit, but it was a really nice day with the kiddos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Something positive about a Holyoke, a city that does not get a lot of positive ink. Thanks, Kelly.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
That merry go round is the one that used to be at Mountain Park, isn't it? I rode it as a kid and then went to Holyoke about 15 years ago and rode it again. It was interesting learning about the hand carved horses too,

(I don't know if there's anything they can do to bring Holyoke back. BTW, for those from EMass, it's Hole-Yoke, not Holy-oak.)

Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
As a architecture and city-planning geek, I find Holyoke fascinating. I certainly understand that it's in rough shape, but it has a GREAT collection of gorgeous older buildings that seem like they would fit in cities that are far larger. Most cities in MA, even the run down ones, have a solid collection of architectural gems downtown. Holyoke is no exception. However, Holyoke also has some awesome apartment buildings outside of the city center that you really don't see except in much larger cities (i.e. Boston). It's this type of building that I'm talking about. Holyoke has plenty of these. If the city ever rebounds, these types of buildings are going to be in high demand, because you just don't find them in many places. I certainly wouldn't live in Holyoke now, but I do like passing through just to look at the buildings. Architecturally, Holyoke is stacked.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
As a architecture and city-planning geek, I find Holyoke fascinating. I certainly understand that it's in rough shape, but it has a GREAT collection of gorgeous older buildings that seem like they would fit in cities that are far larger. Most cities in MA, even the run down ones, have a solid collection of architectural gems downtown. Holyoke is no exception. However, Holyoke also has some awesome apartment buildings outside of the city center that you really don't see except in much larger cities (i.e. Boston). It's this type of building that I'm talking about. Holyoke has plenty of these. If the city ever rebounds, these types of buildings are going to be in high demand, because you just don't find them in many places. I certainly wouldn't live in Holyoke now, but I do like passing through just to look at the buildings. Architecturally, Holyoke is stacked.
I agree Holyoke is a hidden gem, at least in its collection of old buildings. The city center also has these row house like buildings that also seem a bit surprising for a city of size, though not as much as the ones you posted

holyoke - Google Maps

I saw an apartment ad for one of those on craigslist. Price wasn't extremely but not very high either (I have $500 for a bedroom but not really sure)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts