Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 17,808 times

Advertisements

is this considered a 'reverse commute' with regard to traffic (meaning lighter traffic than going West to East). Are there locations between these two cities that would allow for a good reverse commute, but be close enough to Boston for a half hour/40 min train ride into the city when needed? Dont need a good school district, looking to rent, nice area, good shopping and restaurants, single, not family life.

thanks,
Vast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM

18,718 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Sure. Anywhere along the purple line commuter train. If you want to drive the commute, anywhere along Route 2. Not sure about the Pike, but anywhere along it would lead to Worcester- I'm not sure what part of Worcester the Pike leads into, plus it costs for tolls.
I think the 30-40 minute train idea might be something like NYC, where you can hop on a train and get anywhere you want when you want. The commuter trains here aren't like that- they largely run on a M-F schedule, normal business hours.
Best wishes.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vast View Post
is this considered a 'reverse commute' with regard to traffic (meaning lighter traffic than going West to East). Are there locations between these two cities that would allow for a good reverse commute, but be close enough to Boston for a half hour/40 min train ride into the city when needed? Dont need a good school district, looking to rent, nice area, good shopping and restaurants, single, not family life.

thanks,
Vast
I know folks who work in Worcester and live in Waltham. They don't have kids and wanted a lively place with good restaurants that wouldn't break the bank. They drive to work (Holy Cross) since it's not terribly close to Union Station (around 40 minutes along the turnpike). For them it's worth it since they have close friends near Waltham and enjoy the amenities of Boston regularly (they also can work from home on non-teaching days). They live near the Newton border so they can hop on the Fitchburg line if they want to head to Cambridge or North Station. They are also near the Auburndale and Riverside stops for commuter rail into South Station or the Green Line. One thing to keep in mind is that commuter rail is quite sporadic on a reverse commute.

Otherwise, you pretty much have sleepy suburbs between the two locales. If you want to be a bit closer to Worcester, you can check out the Framingham/Natick area. You won't be lacking in shopping and restaurants, but it's mostly the big box/chain type unlike Waltham.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,552 times
I am also wondering about this commute time driving. Just got a job in Worcester and would like to live in Waltham but worried about the commute time. What do people think about the waltham to worcester reverse commute? Looking to live in a fun area with single young professionals

Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM

31 posts, read 64,372 times
I commuted from Newton/Waltham line to Westboro/495 in the morning and it was a breeze. 20 minutes or so. Mass Turnpike going against traffic. Depending on what part of Worcester may be another 15-20. I can't imagine it being bad. Going the other direction-west to east looked like a nightmare, I'd see the backup every morning.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 AM

112 posts, read 296,666 times
I live in Waltham on the West Newton line. I'm super close to where 128 and the Pike meet. It's literally about 3 minutes to get to the Pike, and in heavy traffic 5-6. The ride to Worcester is about 35-40 minutes (to the exit I take, which is 10A) at speed, and 20 into Boston last time I went that way. Moody Street is close by for random shops and restaurants. It would be reverse to go to Worcester in the AM, I believe. It's reverse to go north on 128 in the AM, which is the direction I'm usually going.

I've been wanting to find a place in Auburndale, which is a stone's toss to the south, but is less cramped and Commonwealth Ave. is right there, and that goes right into Boston, and there are a lot of shops and such along the way. The area around Washington St. in Brighton is awesome, I love going through there, tons of shops, cafes, etc. and the population is a little younger since Boston College is right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts