Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM

130 posts, read 832,481 times

Advertisements

Hi!

What can anyone tell me about Hull? Or Scituate?

Seems like compared to the rest of the Boston area, they are practically giving away houses there!! Waterviews for in the $600,000s?

As opposed to living in someone's garage in Wellesley?

Is there a reason? Or is this an undiscovered gem?

Yes, you're out on the peninsula, but there's the ferry for commuting...

What can anyone tell me?

Also, Scituate seems more reasonably priced than neighboring areas... what's the scoop there?

Thanks,
Patapsco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Scituate is okay, Hull is improving somewhat but is still trying to shed it's previously "seedy" reputation. If you didn't have to worry about the schools, I agree there are some great bargains there.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default both OK.

Hull is OK. like the previous poster stated that it had a seedy past but is getting better. The problem with the town is when a bad Nor'easter or bad storm comes through half the town get flooded.
Scituate I think is a little better than Hull. Scituate use to be on the dumpier side but has made great strides in the past decade or so. Not sure how good the schools in either town are as of current. So if it matters to you better check it out yourself first.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:33 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Scituate is known as "The Irish Riveria". The downtown area is very cute. Not sure about the schools but our school plays them in football though they're in a different league.

I've always thought that Hull was not a great area. I've not spent any time there but have heard the jokes that the gardeners, maids, etc. for the people in Hingham, live in Hull.

Hull got wiped out in the Blizzard of '78.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 AM

17 posts, read 70,838 times
Both towns are so far away from everything. It takes 1/2 hour to get to the nearest highway

Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM

84 posts, read 360,138 times
Well I've never heard Scituate referred to as "dumpy," but to each their own I guess. I grew up in Scituate, and I graduated from the high school in 1999. I received a good education, but nothing spectacular. I felt the school was lacking in AP programs back then especially. I was still able to attend a top 50 national university even with the flaws. I believe they've made good strides in improving the school system since I graduated. Based on rankings, Duxbury, Hingham, and Norwell schools are all rated higher.

Hull was definitely on the seedier side, but I've heard and read about many attempts to clean up, and I believe they're making good strides in that regard. A definitely knock on the towns are that it takes a long time to get to the highway. I know that can drive some people crazy. The Greenbush line is just about completed so that could ease any commute into Boston rather than fighting traffic on Route 3.

Scituate doesn't have as much new development as some towns like Norwell so that may have some bearing on the prices, but I'm not certain of this. All in all, Scituate is a beautiful town that served me well growing up.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM

130 posts, read 832,481 times
Hi, everyone!

Thanks for the insight. I guess we'd fit right in in the "Irish Riviera" since my husband's I think 4th generation in from stepping off the boat. :-)

Good point about flooding! Yikes!

As far as AP classes go, I think it's up to the parents to ask to have their kids tested? I was an "A-B" student, and I didn't even get tested to join in the AP stuff. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but looking back, I'm rather irritated!

Anyway, thanks for the scoop, everyone!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Irish riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Scituate is known as "The Irish Riveria". The downtown area is very cute. Not sure about the schools but our school plays them in football though they're in a different league.

I've always thought that Hull was not a great area. I've not spent any time there but have heard the jokes that the gardeners, maids, etc. for the people in Hingham, live in Hull.

Hull got wiped out in the Blizzard of '78.
Actually the whole south shore is the Irish Riviera.
South Shore (Massachusetts) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 AM

104 posts, read 490,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Actually the whole south shore is the Irish Riviera.
South Shore (Massachusetts) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Baystater: I could not disagree with you more on your posts. I live on the south shore and not only is it not "cliquey" but definately not the "Irish Reviera" - where do you live????

Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Marshfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlady58 View Post
Baystater: I could not disagree with you more on your posts. I live on the south shore and not only is it not "cliquey" but definately not the "Irish Reviera" - where do you live????
up until 2 years ago lived in Marshfield for 22 years. Will hopefully return very soon.

One other thing. I didn't give the south shore the Irish Rivera name. It just been called that for as long as I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts