Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Wow, I'm surprised. I also know several students there presently and my husband coached football there for a time (not head coach) and the kids from my town that go there/have graduated from BFHS seem very well educated as well as well-mannered. My husband said the same thing about the kids when he coached there.

I guess every school has its good and bad points. Xaverian Bros is supposed to have a great reputation and I've met graduates who could barely write their names!
I guess it is just the former students that I know of. I just know they couldn't spell or write very well. I was quite shocked their parents spent quite a bit of money and they made mistakes on simple things.

I think it is probably like most places...there is more good than bad. I would agree overall it is a better school than the public schools in Attleboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 PM

104 posts, read 172,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The area you mentioned is off 152, bordering the town line with North Attleborough, is that right? If so, that's a safe area, but overall the schools are not good and the downtown is fairly run down - pretty scary at night, actually.

I grew up ON 152, it's not too bad. Depends where in Attleboro, of course. The deeper you get into it, the more rough the area becomes. Especially after you pass downtown around the T station, it gets a bit rough. Of course, when you live on the edge of North Attleboro/Attleboro, it's not bad. There's a private high school right on th eline, and EVERYTHING is nearby. I enjoyed growing up there. If you plan on sending your kids to private school, Feehan is great. NAHS.. well.. it's slowly turning into AHS from what I've heard. The middle school and elementary (if you live on 152 in N. Attleboro) is new and (supposedly) fantastic, though.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 13,236 times
Smile Attleboro is great place!

Hi,

Every city or town has it's good and bad but I can honestly say that Attleboro is pretty close to a perfect place to live. Yes are there some issues but just like any town. Attleboro is patch work of cultures that amazingly works well. I would say the stongest asset that Attleboro has its it's sense of community. We have been here for 10 years.......and attleboro offers wonderful services. Dont be fooled about other areas not having issues....because they do...frankly I'm happy that Attleboro's law enforcement is proactive to keep Attleboro safe....The cities employees also do fantastic job keeping the streets and many parks clean. The is a comprehensive goverment system....many towns don't.

Can the schools be better yes..but they are improving....can the downtown be better yes but it's getting better. The fact that the people in attleboro want to make it better is a testament to the people that live there. Honest hard working good people. Little urban and a rural....perfect!

Bottom line....Attleboro is a good place to live!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,243 times
Perhaps the biggest problem Attleboro faces is that all the immediately surrounding MA towns are nicer - meaning prettier in general, and less obvious criminal element, and more countryside.
The things Attleboro has going for it is convenience to highways, train, and North Attleboro shopping. Given a financial choice, I'd choose North Attleboro, Wrentham or Foxboro though; perhaps Mansfield.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 26,367 times
I moved from Norfolk, Ma. to Attleboro 8 years ago and love the conveniences. I'm in a very safe neighborhood and think, overall, that Attleboro is a safe city. Every city has it's run down areas and some crime - as opposed to small towns like Norfolk. Some parts of Attleboro are actually very rural and beautiful and some of the schools are better than others - it's a city. the downtown area is being revitalized and was voted Best in Massachusetts by Boston magazine. Prices on homes vary but it is a great time to buy, if possible.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411sam45 View Post
I moved from Norfolk, Ma. to Attleboro 8 years ago and love the conveniences. I'm in a very safe neighborhood and think, overall, that Attleboro is a safe city. Every city has it's run down areas and some crime - as opposed to small towns like Norfolk. Some parts of Attleboro are actually very rural and beautiful and some of the schools are better than others - it's a city. the downtown area is being revitalized and was voted Best in Massachusetts by Boston magazine. Prices on homes vary but it is a great time to buy, if possible.
Boston Magazine has Attleboro on it's list of possible recommendations for 1st time buyers, but still lists it as a "gamble", New To Market 2008 - Best Places To Live - Boston Magazine (http://www.bostonmagazine.com/real_estate/best_places/new_to_market.html - broken link).

Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 26,206 times
i am working close to shouth station and i planning to buy a house next year in attelboro or in the area .but i dont know much things about that town . how is the area ? isit save ? is it a good place to raise kids ? how is the schools ? how much are the taxes

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 26,367 times
Smile Attleboro: good or bad

I'm wondering why the posts on this subject are negative toward the city. I really enjoy living here, have no qualms about going for a walk at night, live close to all conveniences, have a quiet, attractive neighborhood and recommend Attleboro for the above reasons in addition to the lower home prices. I lived in a small, now yuppy town that is beautiful and serene for all of my adult life. However, the taxes have become way more than I can pay, you have to drive out of town to shop, you cart your own trash to the landfill and can look forward to higher and higher taxes for no additional services. there is no sewerage, much of the town has well water, few street lights, no sidewalks to speak of - whereas Attleboro has all of the above. I have found the people friendly, when I feel like being friendly and generally haven't a negative word to say about Attleboro.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 30,648 times
I think North Attleboro is better choice. North High School is pretty decent, but there's also Bishop Feehan, a catholic school that is even better.

I think it's safe enough. But things happen, of course. An 18 year old man was shot in his car in Mansfield (nearby town) recently, but these things generally do not happen all that much.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 15,539 times
You really can't compare Attleboro to the surrounding towns because Attleboro is a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts