Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM

14 posts, read 25,586 times

Advertisements

Thank you to all the suggestions I received about our relocation from MO!! We narrowed down our search to MA, and thinking the North Shore area...I am very intrigued by Newburyport! It seems to have everything we are looking for!!

We will be doing some "on the ground" scouting when we take our daughter back to UMass in September! We are taking a couple of extra days after dropping her off to stay in Newburyport and take some day drives to the surrounding areas! Very excited!!

Now, for the "other issues"...will we be "accepted" as outsiders to the area? We live in an area that is VERY hard to be accepted if you are not born and raised in the area! Ironically, I have never cared for the people in this area...so when we get new people to the area, I immediate make friends with them!!

I know we will be moving to an area that people have lived in for generations, and wondered how we would be received? I will say, my daughter has been completely accepted at UMass! Her roommate is from Wellesley, and they have become the very best of friends! Most of her other close friends are from the Manchester area! They tease her relentlessly (but in a good way) about her "accent" and she had to take a class as an out of state freshman on how to "speak" Massachusetts!! She is constantly correcting me on my pronunciation of different towns!! Because you know, after 9 months MA she is an expert!!

Thanks again for all the advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 02:24 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Newburyport is a beautiful, former working seaport, that has evolved (like so many other seaport areas) into a highly desirable city for residents and visitors alike. The downtown area (with brick walkways, beautiful flower boxes in front of each window front, and surprisingly plenty of parking, except for festival days like Yankee Homecoming Weekend celebrations. That's the BIGGEST celebration of the year, but there are all sorts of arts festivals, literary fests, etc. And it's not all int he downtown area-many are held at beautiful Maudslay State Park, a former estate property that was donated as a recreational area for future generations to enjoy.

With so much going on, it's easy for new residents to find groups to join. I'll try to post a few of the pictures I've taken both in the downtown area, residential homes and on the water too.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:47 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
I've only been up to Newburyport a few times, but it's a lovely town. Really charming.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM

61 posts, read 201,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone0990 View Post
Now, for the "other issues"...will we be "accepted" as outsiders to the area?

I know we will be moving to an area that people have lived in for generations, and wondered how we would be received?
This notion is such a joke and is really only perpetuated by "outsiders" who have no idea what they're talking about, so don't worry about this, yes you will be accepted, unless you're a racist bigot or something crazy like that

Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 PM

14 posts, read 25,586 times
Thanks!!

I only ask, because like I said I live in an extremely judgemental area and very unaccepting...which is one of the main reasons I can't wait to get out of here!!

I know when we brought our daughter to school last year...everyone was so nice and helpful!

I really can't wait to start our new chapter in MA!!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster21 View Post
This notion is such a joke and is really only perpetuated by "outsiders" who have no idea what they're talking about, so don't worry about this, yes you will be accepted, unless you're a racist bigot or something crazy like that

Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM

61 posts, read 201,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone0990 View Post
Thanks!!

I only ask, because like I said I live in an extremely judgemental area and very unaccepting...which is one of the main reasons I can't wait to get out of here!!
You'll find that in little microcosms everywhere, or if you're in a place where your values/way of life is a complete mismatch when compared to those around you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts