Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 77,645 times

Advertisements

I got my first speeding ticket going 93 in a 65 zone (not construction zone or anything). Offense was speeding chapter 90 section 17. The officer checked off the 'lidar" and "estimated" boxes. The date on the ticket is not very readable. I am 18, have been driving for 2 years with clean record. I am on my parents insurance. Is it worth fighting this ticket? Will I get any demerit points for this offense? Will it increase my/or my parents insurance costs? The fine does not worry me. What worries me is the rise in insurance prices, and the fact that this will stay on my record. I guess I should have thought of that before speeding. How many years will this ticket stay on my record? Please help as I am new to this state and country.

If this ticket is worth fighting, does anyone have any good lawyers they can recommend?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
How to fight it?

SLOW THE HELL DOWN!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,220 times
Uh, you can't. I can see you trying to fight if you were going 70 mph, max, but 93? The hell is wrong with you.

Pay the ticket.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,944 times
I disagree with the previous poster. Fight the ticket, you may be able to get it reduced, or possibly beat it. I'm not sure it works exactly as in the past, but if a cop didn't show up in court the ticket was dismissed (this happened to me in the late 80s). I think the specific officer may no longer need to appear before the magistrate, but nonetheless, in my view it's worth fighting on the chance you may beat it.

And yes, in the future, you should slow down

Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 PM

22 posts, read 77,645 times
yeah I understand it was totally idiotic of me going at those speeds but I learned my lesson. Im not allowed to drive any more until I can afford insurance or wait a couple of months. %^&* Im so mad at myself right now. I guess I can try to fight it so that they can lower the offence but then I think, maybe if it was like 85, it would be worth fighting. But when they see the 9, they are just going to think reckless driving. By the way, does this count as "reckless driving"? and how long will the points stay on my record for (3 years?)

Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM

44 posts, read 135,541 times
You should absolutely fight the initial ticket. You'll have a hearing with a magistrate and they'll probably offer to cut the fine in half or something. It will still count against your insurance, but at least it will save you a few hundred dollars in the fine. Take the deal if offered, you have no chance of appealing in front of a judge and winning if they got you on LIDAR at 93...

Oh yeah, and slow down.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 PM

278 posts, read 702,957 times
Hopefully you get a nice hefty fine and an insurance surcharge.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
You better hope the clerk working when you go to appeal is in a good mood, of he/she may laugh you out of the room. It would be one thing if you were going say 5-15 miles over, but 28 miles over? That's a bit excessive and will be very tough to argue.

Unless you get the ticket cut down significantly, it may not be worth your time to fight it.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I suppose you never broke the law, brent s? You never did 60 in a 50 zone? how about making a left turn across a double yellow line?

The OP is 18, said the lesson has been learned, parents are upset and OP accepts the punishment without crying it wasn't his/her fault. I'd give OP a 2nd chance. Doesn't mean I don't agree with the parents' punishment - must earn/save and pay own insurance, pay own fine, and no driving the family car for months - and it's SUMMER!!!

OP, I am not ready to throw you to the wolves or cut off your legs, and I agree with your parents' punishment. At least appear in court. See what options you get. Take ANYthing you are offered.

I raised 2 teen boy drivers in Rhode Island. And, surprisingly, I was a teen once. And I have done my share of speeding.

The points remain on your license for 2 years, but the record lasts for 6 years. Assuming you were charged exactly as you stated, it is still a civil offense. If, however, you were charged with reckless driving, that can be a criminal offense.

I recommend you take the MA safe driving course online even before your court date to show your remorse. - and it just might help you get that ticket reduced or dismissed.

http://www.suspendedlicensehelp.com/...-citations.asp

Quote:
Avoid the negative consequences of a Massachusetts speeding ticket by taking Massachusetts traffic school online. Sign up in moments and begin your course today.
http://www.speedingtickethq.com/mass...eeding-ticket/

Last edited by NY Annie; 07-03-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk786 View Post
By the way, does this count as "reckless driving"?)
Believe Reckless Driving is exceeding the limit by more than 30 mph, so in your case no (just barely though). Like others said you should always repeal it regardless, there is little to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts