Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM

5,793 posts, read 5,113,361 times

Advertisements

I dont care if you are 18 or 80. Going more than 90 miles an hour could get you killed, but more importantly, you may bring some innocent family with you. If you wish to go early, that's fine, but you may not take innocent people with you. You deserve all the penalty you can get, and your parents are absolutely right that you should be forbidden to drive until you get your own insurance etc. Clearly, Drivers Ed never sunk in, so let's try it the hard way. Get an extra job, pay up the fine or never get your license renewed. One less irresponsible driver on the read is a benefit to society.

Take your consequences like a man and stop trying to slink away by "trying to fight" it. Are you a cowardly weasel?

To the "mother" who defends the "mistakes" of youth, I wonder what you would say if he took the lives of a whole innocent family with him in a horrific accident. Is it still "ok because he is 18"? Ridiculous...this is why this country is now full of irresponsible and useless leeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I dont care if you are 18 or 80. Going more than 90 miles an hour could get you killed, but more importantly, you may bring some innocent family with you. If you wish to go early, that's fine, but you may not take innocent people with you. You deserve all the penalty you can get, and your parents are absolutely right that you should be forbidden to drive until you get your own insurance etc. Clearly, Drivers Ed never sunk in, so let's try it the hard way. Get an extra job, pay up the fine or never get your license renewed. One less irresponsible driver on the read is a benefit to society.

Take your consequences like a man and stop trying to slink away by "trying to fight" it. Are you a cowardly weasel?

To the "mother" who defends the "mistakes" of youth, I wonder what you would say if he took the lives of a whole innocent family with him in a horrific accident. Is it still "ok because he is 18"? Ridiculous...this is why this country is now full of irresponsible and useless leeches.
Present company included.
When you are in the midwest, or upstate NY, or about 500 places I can name, whare are flat as a pancake, on a road that has extremely limited side-road access (and you know where they are), and there is no one as far as the eye can see in front of you (like over a mile), and it is a divided highway, who cares what someone does. The worst thing they can do is kill themselves (usually only takes about 75mph, driving into something like a bridge abutment), destroy their car, or take out a cow or two, which they would do at 65 anyways.
Even though he was breaking the law, rather than call him a 'cowardly weasel', I would call 'fiscally frugal'.

Cheese with that whine? Just my opinion.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 PM

5,793 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Default sure...

But he was driving 95 in one of the most heavily populated state in the whole union. If he was in the boonies with miles of nothing, I couldnt care less. In fact, I would root for him to go even faster to take himself out of the gene pool. But he is driving in this commonwealth, and our state government is owed the money for his stupidity.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Motion to close thread.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,789 times
Motion seconded.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM

578 posts, read 1,093,308 times
Don't stand much of a chance. But it doesnt hurt to try and fight it

Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 AM

870 posts, read 1,679,334 times
Your insurance surcharge is going to be a rough slap for a couple of years...couple hundred dollars extra per year.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 AM

74 posts, read 63,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I suppose you never broke the law, brent s? You never did 60 in a 50 zone? how about making a left turn across a double yellow line?

The OP is 18, said the lesson has been learned, parents are upset and OP accepts the punishment without crying it wasn't his/her fault. I'd give OP a 2nd chance. Doesn't mean I don't agree with the parents' punishment - must earn/save and pay own insurance, pay own fine, and no driving the family car for months - and it's SUMMER!!!

OP, I am not ready to throw you to the wolves or cut off your legs, and I agree with your parents' punishment. At least appear in court. See what options you get. Take ANYthing you are offered.

I raised 2 teen boy drivers in Rhode Island. And, surprisingly, I was a teen once. And I have done my share of speeding.

The points remain on your license for 2 years, but the record lasts for 6 years. Assuming you were charged exactly as you stated, it is still a civil offense. If, however, you were charged with reckless driving, that can be a criminal offense.

I recommend you take the MA safe driving course online even before your court date to show your remorse. - and it just might help you get that ticket reduced or dismissed.

Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, Speeding Ticket Appeals

Massachusetts Speeding Ticket | Speeding Ticket
Doing 60 in a 50 mph zone is one thing, maybe, but doing 93 in a 65 mph zone is a whole other matter. The guy should shut the hell up, take his punishment, pay his ticket, and slow the hell down next time. No sympathy from these quarters.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 AM

74 posts, read 63,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk786 View Post
I got my first speeding ticket going 93 in a 65 zone (not construction zone or anything). Offense was speeding chapter 90 section 17. The officer checked off the 'lidar" and "estimated" boxes. The date on the ticket is not very readable. I am 18, have been driving for 2 years with clean record. I am on my parents insurance. Is it worth fighting this ticket? Will I get any demerit points for this offense? Will it increase my/or my parents insurance costs? The fine does not worry me. What worries me is the rise in insurance prices, and the fact that this will stay on my record. I guess I should have thought of that before speeding. How many years will this ticket stay on my record? Please help as I am new to this state and country.

If this ticket is worth fighting, does anyone have any good lawyers they can recommend?

Thanks in advance...
You get no sympathy from me, bubba! Just take your licks, pay the ticket and learn your lesson by slowing down in the future and driving the speed limit. You're lucky that you didn't kill somebody in the process of going 30 miles over the speed limit.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
But he was driving 95 in one of the most heavily populated state in the whole union. If he was in the boonies with miles of nothing, I couldnt care less. In fact, I would root for him to go even faster to take himself out of the gene pool. But he is driving in this commonwealth, and our state government is owed the money for his stupidity.
I love this.....

Quote:"our state government is owed the money for his stupidity"

So for every stupid thing that someone does, they need to write a check to the government?
Ever walk across the street and not be in a crosswalk? Bam. $50 please. Ever go 66 mph in a 65mph zone? Bam. If you run with scissors, you owe money. If you smoke or drink alcohol in any way, you owe money. If you use a ladder, you owe money. We need some concept of reality on this thread.
Though it has been a long time, I worked and lived in MA for many a year. If you went 65 mph down Rt. 93 during rush hour, I would argue you are a menace on the road, as people would be changing lanes left and right to fly past you. I don't make the rules, I just observe behavior.
NY is also right up there in population density. Ever go through upstate NY? The only thing I worried about was (near dusk) a deer bolting out, or a cow that got loose.
The MA Pike was a free-for-all. I drove it easily over 100 times going to NY, and that was my observation.
You can be just as dead at 65 mph as you can at 93 mph, when you hit something. Do the math about deceleration.
Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts