Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM

72 posts, read 151,553 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Boston with my family in about 12 months (if all goes as planned!). We have 2 kids. One will be entering 2nd grade at that time. The younger one will just be starting Kindergarten.

It seems like alot of the talk about schools and good schools also points to those districts being very intense and "pressure-cookers". I dont want that for my kids. My older one (girl) is very bright and loves learning. My 4 year old has yet to master letters and numbers, but he is also a boy and more interested in other things (like running and playing cars). It seems like all of the areas I think that sounds good on paper (Newton, Lexington, Concord, Belmont) have comments somewhere about people saying that the schools are stressful for kids. I especially dont want that for my son when he starts kindergarten. The towns I am thinking of (just preliminary) are Needham, Newton, Belmont, Lexington, Concord, Arlington, maybe Brookline. Some of those towns could be a budget stretch. My husband will be commuting to Post Office Sq in Boston. He can drive and has parking there but would rather take the T I think. I will probably be finding work too, unless we find a place with a 4 bed 2.5ba house thats under $750k. (maybe Acton?) If I work (and I do now) we'd be looking at a place definitely under a mill, probably in the $800 - $900k range. Maybe slightly closer to $1mill if its the perfect place.

What towns have good schools that are good but not crazy competitive? For what its worth, I went to Boston Latin and I didnt feel like it was a pressure cooker (unless you felt like you had to be the best). So I almost think that schools are only a pressure-cooker environment if you push your kids to be the best. I want my kids to be smart and do well in school but not be stressed out because they feel they arent good enough.

Last edited by VTLiving; 07-11-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Interesting that you mentioned Acton near the end of your post, because that was a town that came to mind even before I had read that far. Definitely worth a look if you like or don't mind an exurban locale.

Of the other towns you asked about, based strictly on reputation you may want to strike Lexington from your list, or move it to the bottom. By reputation at least, Lexington's schools are said to be excellent in terms of the usual school quality criteria but also very high-pressure. I think I may have heard something similar about Newton, but I'm not sure about that one. High quality combined with high pressure rings a bell in my head about Newton, but I'm not vividly recalling that I've heard that over and over about Newton the way I have with Lex. I don't know a lot about the reputations of the other towns you ask about with regard to how much pressure the kids feel, so I can't make any recommendations there.

Depending on where and in what type of setting you'd prefer to live, you might take a look at Wayland. Wayland may push the limits of your housing budget, but could be good for what you're looking for with the schools if you find some options that fit your budget and you like the town. If you're okay with schools that are good though not ultra-top-tier, you might look one town south of Wayland in Natick.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Arlington might be a good fit. The schools are very good, but not as high-end as Lexington, Newton & Belmont. And you can get a great home there for what you are looking to spend. Though I should warn you that Arlington has somewhat high property taxes.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Arlington might be a good fit. The schools are very good, but not as high-end as Lexington, Newton & Belmont. And you can get a great home there for what you are looking to spend. Though I should warn you that Arlington has somewhat high property taxes.
I am used to high property taxes so moving to Mass will make them feel like I am getting a deal. I have a $370k house now in Vermont and I pay over $8000/year.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLiving View Post
I am used to high property taxes so moving to Mass will make them feel like I am getting a deal. I have a $370k house now in Vermont and I pay over $8000/year.
Does VT have state income tax? I know NH doesn't and their property taxes are outrageous to make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Depending on where and in what type of setting you'd prefer to live, you might take a look at Wayland. Wayland may push the limits of your housing budget, but could be good for what you're looking for with the schools if you find some options that fit your budget and you like the town. If you're okay with schools that are good though not ultra-top-tier, you might look one town south of Wayland in Natick.
Personally, I find Wayland a little sleepy for my taste. It's a lovely town but personally I like to live in a town that has a town center and Wayland doesn't really have that. Although, the Coach Grill is yummy. The schools are very good though and it's a nice place.

I would second the suggestion of Natick and I like the idea of Needham as well. These are two really great towns to live in. Your budget will go much further in Natick and I actually thought a lot about Natick the last time I moved, but I really like Needham better for several reasons.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Does VT have state income tax? I know NH doesn't and their property taxes are outrageous to make up for it.

Personally, I find Wayland a little sleepy for my taste. It's a lovely town but personally I like to live in a town that has a town center and Wayland doesn't really have that. Although, the Coach Grill is yummy. The schools are very good though and it's a nice place.

I would second the suggestion of Natick and I like the idea of Needham as well. These are two really great towns to live in. Your budget will go much further in Natick and I actually thought a lot about Natick the last time I moved, but I really like Needham better for several reasons.
I grew up in West Rox and I am having a hard time picturing myself in Natick for some reason. It just seems so far away.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 AM

404 posts, read 905,113 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Boston Latin one of the most competitive schools in the state

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Boston Latin one of the most competitive schools in the state

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes, in that you have to take a test to get in and there are limited spots available. But thats what I'm saying. Is that I didnt feel like I had high pressure there. But I also didnt try my best. I was happy coasting along with B's. Thats why I am asking if the "pressure" schools are really high pressure or is it just high pressure for the kids whose parents expect nothing but the best?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM

940 posts, read 1,937,296 times
They might still feel inadequate next to their competitive peers and it would rub off on them. Wouldn't you want to be near like-minded kids and parents?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,454,059 times
It's a generalization, but I think there's some merit to the idea that schools that stress math and science tend to be the most competitive. For this reason, I would be wary of Acton if you are hesitant about Lexington. Honestly, we suck at math and science as a country. There's a reason why you walk past labs in Harvard and they're filled with postgraduates from eastern Europe and Asia. You wouldn't believe the competition to get into the top tech institutes in India. Many of these incredibly bright and tested graduates then bring their talents to places like Boston and SF bay area and settle down in Lexington, Acton, Palo Alto, etc. I would have no problems sending my kids to Acton since I could tutor them in math and the sciences, but it was still one of the reasons why we settled down in Concord. The sciences are more than good enough if our kids want to head in that direction, but there's an underlying reverence for the liberal arts that tends to blunt the ridiculous "my toddler is gifted so I need to prepare him for the Ivies" mentality among too many of the dime-a-dozen gilded yuppies populating the nicer towns of MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts