Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:23 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times

Advertisements

Really! I wonder why all these animal people are against it. I didn't realize how compassionate hunters really are. Hold on while I shoot my animals--some are ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 33,279 times
I know I currently reside in AZ and doghead does not consider my input/statements vaild...

Despite this, I am compelled to once again post a reply:

I disagree with doghead when, in response to as whether or not their question had been answered, doghead stated, "Actually, not really! Right, the original question was how much hunting there is in Mass. and how much a part is it of the daily culture, the way it seems to be in Vermont and Maine. ..."

In reading doghead's initial post, the final sentence refers to moving to MA...specifically, moving to a place in MA where hunting is not "commonplace". ("...I'd like to move to MA but don't want an area where hunting is so commonplace....") Therefore, doghead was ultimately asking about a location (to move to/reside) in MA where they would not be subjected to "hunting".

I answered that question...long ago...

...I was not being facetious or sarcastic...even though it may have come across that way...I was serious...hunting/shooting of firearms in not allowed within a quarter mile of occupied buildings. Therefore, if doghead's true wish/desire is to move to MA in an area where hunting is not commonplace, I refer to my original suggestion: doghead should move to a city with at least a quarter mile radius...purchase/rent a home within the core of that quarter mile and not venture more than a quarter mile outside of the city limits. Other posters/responders (forgive me, I am not sure of the appropriate "lingo") have suggested Boston...and another post offers areas doghead can visit/hike/enjoy where hunting is not allowed...Therefore, doghead's initial inquiry has been addressed...

All this other "anger" and irrelevant posting is ....silly....and simply shows gross ignorance and intolerance of some members...

As other post indicate, doghead simply has no clue as to what they are talking about (when it comes to hunting/hunters, animal management/conservation and the ecosystem)...and is speaking strictly from an emotional standpoint - not a factual or intellectual standpoint...

In addition, people who go out and shoot game without properly caring for their game (cleaning, butchering, eating, etc) are not "hunters"...they are "killers" commonly referred to as trophy hunters (a misuse of the term "hunter")...people who kill game simply for a trophy to hang on their walls...these people typically do not follow the rules and regulations of HUNTING...and hunters despise them (At least, this hunter - and all the hunters I know, despise people who kill game strictly for trophies...leaving the meat, etc to rot).

...I hunt...I own guns...I believe any person who believes in a free America should own a gun in order to protect their freedom...I understand some people do not like guns, do not own guns, do not believe in protecting themselves or the people they love/care about...However, I also believe, that in a time of crisis, the people without guns will rely heavily upon those who have (and know how to use) their guns...

I am an educated (BS Env Sci and CHM, minor Pol Sci) and compassionate individual. I am an "animal person" but not an animal fanatic...I am an environmentalist but not a radical (although some people would disagree with that statement).

I understand and accept that doghead does not understand or accept the concept of "hunting".

I understand and accept many people deny their natural biological instincts to consume meat and/or any animal product...we do have canines for a reason...

I also know and understand that "mass produce"/"marketed" meat/animal products are provided at the expense of the animal...and humans....

Wild game...is the healthest consumable meat product...for those of you who do eat meat...if you know a hunter or fisherperson...I would get to be friends with them...

In closing, doghead, I hope you find the "hunter-free" environment you seek...better yet, I hope - some day - your mind and spirit expands to allow you to accept ideas/concepts/people who are different from you...

...maybe you should try going out with a hunter...it is hard work...my last elk hunt...I was out the entire season, up before dawn, hiked all day...and did not take an elk...but, I enjoyed the experience none the less!...like I said, hunting isn't purely about "killing animals"...it is the entire outdoor experience...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Fat hunters...and "The Hunt"...

...oh....and by the way....

...I am not fat.......

...I don't know where those "fat" hunters are....they certainly are not out in the woods HUNTING....hunting which usually follows months, weeks or days of scouting (as another post indicates) for the game before you can hunt....(duration of scouting - and hunt - is typically directly related to the ability to afford to take time off of work..."afford" in every sense of the word...)

...and, forgive me...the above post is a tad sarcastic...

... before I get blasted for talking about my last elk hunt...I did not take an elk because I did not see an elk I wanted...although I saw plenty of elk. At one point, I lay in the grass behind a log with the wind blowing towards me. The elk came down the mountain...grazing as they walked. Some stopped and grazed 10 - 20 feet in front of me...others went further down the slope to the water. I could hear the elk chomping the grass and slurping the water. My father urged me to take a young bull....but, it was only the second day of the season...I wanted to wait (for a different bull). When I would not fire, my father indicated he was going to take my shot....to shorten the story, I made it clear to my father that he was NOT going to take my shot....after watching the elk for awhile, my father and I backed out of the area - on our bellies, in our camo...the elk never aware that we were there....(Have any of the non/anti-hunters ever experienced this...this closeness/this interaction with "nature"? I doubt it.)

I did not see any bulls for the rest of the hunt...My father was more than a little angry with me for not taking a bull that second day of the season. But, he had a nice bull from the first day...that would give us plenty of meat...However, with elk, it's not possible to have too much meat....I put in for bull elk every season. I have not been drawn since that hunt...1998...and I will never forget it. It was a great time...a special time spent at camp and through the woods with my father...beautiful views...fresh, crisp air...The first day, we saw a Bald Eagle. I told my father, the Indians (Native Americans) believe the Bald Eagle...seeing a Bald Eagle...is good luck....and it was....

Old 10-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Arizona Heidi, I don't have time to get into this again, but I will say your hunting stories are heartwarming...you and your father laying there on your stomachs watching the elk. Geez.....I'm going to cry. The reason I can't get into this now, is that I had to euthanize an otherwise healthy dog I was fostering for aggression problems after 4 mos. and I am absolutely sick over it. So, no matter what you say, I cannot relate to you and your love for shooting animals on any level whatsoever, whether in the most beautiful forests. Isn't it possible to see these eagles and other wildlife while hiking? That's what I do. I don't have to kill them to appreciate them. CAll me strange. I'm not coming back to this thread. Good bye.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:57 PM

215 posts, read 583,981 times
Heidi,
You explained the hunt very well. It is not about killing the animal,its about the outdoors,the camp life,and the camraderie. I have hunted with the same people since I was just a boy. My father took me with his friends,who also brought their sons. I have friends from deer camp for over 50 years. We know each others families their loves and losses. Thanks Heidi, for saying it so much better than I could ever.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:04 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Doghead, I am sorry about your dog :-(. That must have been very hard.
A big hug to you!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Thank you Katzenfreund. I'm devastated over it. He was a beautiful dog, but undersocialized I guess. Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I'm also sorry too. I didn't post earlier because I didn't think that you were returning to this thread. I posted what happened to update your thread about biting dogs in the Pet section. I hope you don't mind as many people in that thread cared about your situation.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 AM

...doghead...you truly are hopeless...

And, although you apparently believe hunters are heartless killers...I have lost dogs (from old age) and I have had to put a dog down due to illness...My last German Shepard died from old age in 1999...I still have not been able to look for another companion...I still have dreams where this companion visits me...
it is difficult to lose any pet/animal, under any circumstances...and, I am sorry for your loss...

Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Thank you Miu and Arizona Heidi. I have never had to euthanize a healthy animal. I am really devastated over it. He was a dog (chow mix) that the shelter was going to euthanize in June of this year because he had been there for 8 mos. and did have a bite history prior to entering the shelter. In the 4 mos. I had him, he bit my neighbor and then me, and he was lunging at people. However, he had a beautiful, sweet side to him indoors when he did not get stressed out. Arizona Heidi, I just don't see why you think a deer or an elk, who have done nothing to hurt you, are different from your german shephard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts