Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 AM

37 posts, read 122,050 times

Advertisements

I've been posting quit a bit lately as my family and I work towards finding a town to settle down in. We're renting in Newton but it's just not the right feel for us. We like Needham a lot and if we can find a house in the particular section of Broadmedow (close to the school and the Hersey train) then we would strongly consider settling there....however....I'm always on the lookout for other areas for us! My latest find....Lexington. Fell in love with the charm and history right away. I also know their schools are excellent and that there are wonderful kids programs via parks and rec, etc. that we could take advantage of (we have a 5 and 2.5 year old). And I love all the everyday conveniences.....Stop and Shop, drug stores, dry cleaners, liquor stores, Starbucks, D&D, etc....all right in town!! Not to mention all the adorable shopping in the downtown area....and the mall is super closeby as well!
So now I ask.....what's it like actually living there? The house prices actually seem a bit higher than Needham, however you seem to get a bit more property and privacy which we love. Although taxes do seem higher as well. What is the actual community of people like there?
What do people dislike about living there? Also, just HOW competitive are the schools? I'm a bit nervous after several people mentioning that its a "pressure cooker" for kids. I want our kids to excel but I also want them to feel like they can be kids.....they have their entire adult lives to be stressed out!
As usual, any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
I really like Lexington and I would agree with your assessment that it's definitely more expensive than Needham. Average lot sizes tend to be a bit larger as well. I also think Lexington is a little more charming as it does have more historic value. My biggest complaint about Lexington are the commuting options. There's no train service in town and the major route into Boston is Rt 2 which is not a fun drive. I've had clients who have bought in Lexington who don't commute into Boston and they love it there. The town center is really nice.

The area of Needham you're focusing on is lovely. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but there's an interesting new listing on Tudor Rd. At $650K, that's a pretty low price point for the area and it looks like the kitchen has had some updating done. Plus, they just ran a natural gas line up Tudor Rd last year so you could convert if you wanted to.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,230,410 times
Expensive.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I really like Lexington and I would agree with your assessment that it's definitely more expensive than Needham. Average lot sizes tend to be a bit larger as well. I also think Lexington is a little more charming as it does have more historic value. My biggest complaint about Lexington are the commuting options. There's no train service in town and the major route into Boston is Rt 2 which is not a fun drive. I've had clients who have bought in Lexington who don't commute into Boston and they love it there. The town center is really nice.

The area of Needham you're focusing on is lovely. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but there's an interesting new listing on Tudor Rd. At $650K, that's a pretty low price point for the area and it looks like the kitchen has had some updating done. Plus, they just ran a natural gas line up Tudor Rd last year so you could convert if you wanted to.
Mike you are ALWAYS SO HELPFUL!! Can't thank you enough for always responding to my posts!
The top of our range is $1.2M ....although that is def stretching us a bit thin which we'd rather not do. Just saw the house on Tudor you're speaking of.......def needs a ton of work, but for that area I'm wondering if there would be a way to extend and renovate. Thanks again!

I agree with what you're saying - no train from Lexington is hard and w/ traffic I'm sure the drive will be 45mins at best and closer to 50mins to 1 hour.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM

134 posts, read 219,535 times
I live in Lexington for only 1 year but so far I really like the town. As others mentioned, Lexington is expensive, and the property tax is higher than some of the surrounding towns. What you get in return however, is a well-run town with good services. The town finance is solid, broad tax base, excellent town services including the school, town shuttle buses and recreational service, but also show up in other details. Roads actually got repaved, street tree got planted, phone calls to town office actually got returned, there are continual improvements to town facilities, etc. My kids are 4 and 2 so they have not experienced the school system yet. The comments I heard however has all been good.

Commuting option to Boston, as MikePRU said, is not good. I commute to downtown Boston daily for work (MBTA bus then redline), I grew up with daily long commute anyway so it's do-able for me but certainly a negative.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
I live in Lexington for only 1 year but so far I really like the town. As others mentioned, Lexington is expensive, and the property tax is higher than some of the surrounding towns. What you get in return however, is a well-run town with good services. The town finance is solid, broad tax base, excellent town services including the school, town shuttle buses and recreational service, but also show up in other details. Roads actually got repaved, street tree got planted, phone calls to town office actually got returned, there are continual improvements to town facilities, etc. My kids are 4 and 2 so they have not experienced the school system yet. The comments I heard however has all been good.

Commuting option to Boston, as MikePRU said, is not good. I commute to downtown Boston daily for work (MBTA bus then redline), I grew up with daily long commute anyway so it's do-able for me but certainly a negative.
Very curious to know how long that commute is for you. My husband works in the Back Bay area.
Thanks for responding to my post. The town seems just so lovely....guess now it's a matter of being able to afford it as well as being willing to deal with the commute.

thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM

134 posts, read 219,535 times
I commute relatively early (7am in, 4pm out) so traffic is not an issue. Still it takes 1 hour because of bus route is long. If you drive to Alewife+park+Red Line to South Station is around 45 mins all inclusive with no traffic. I assume the traffic (especially driving to/from alewife with parking) can be pretty bad during rush hour though. I don't like driving since in a bus at least I can read.

As for housing, anyway good under $1 million has insance competition. From $1-1.2 million though probably has a lot less compeition. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,661,626 times
I sometimes drive to the Alewife red line from Acton. On an average day, I cannot believe how fast it is to get down route 2, once past 128. It's only a 5 miles drive, mostly 4 lanes. This would include nearly all of the Lexington exits. I would say typical commute from Lexington to Boston, using Alewife would be 35 to 45 minutes.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
As for housing, anyway good under $1 million has insance competition. From $1-1.2 million though probably has a lot less compeition. Good luck!
I put in an offer today in Lexington for a client that was WELL over asking and someone apparently offered more. This is happening in a lot of towns right now though.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I put in an offer today in Lexington for a client that was WELL over asking and someone apparently offered more. This is happening in a lot of towns right now though.
the market is so extremely hot right now! it's def also happening in needham. mike, that place you brought to my attention in needham...already under contract! houses are flying like hot cakes it seems!

any thoughts on the "pressure cooker" lexington schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts