Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times

Advertisements

I would second Maynard for your budget and proximity to Waltham. The downside is that it is not really a 'hip' area and the downtown isn't terribly cultural. The upside, however, is that you can drive to, say, Waltham for that feeling.

Salem is a nice city for that downtown feel and lots to do, but to be honest, the commute to and from Waltham will be quite difficult. 128 N/S is probably the most congested highway for rush hour traffic in the state, perhaps outside the immediate Expressway in and south of Boston. An hour commute will likely be the average, meaning that you are looking at days with much longer ones, especially with bad weather.

If you don't mind going south, then Providence, East Providence, and Attleboro should be on your list. Rents are cheaper down there also. If you are interested in the Providence area in particular, PM me. I grew up in East Providence, and I can alert you to neighborhoods to avoid. The downside is that the commute might be longer, but if you can arrange the schedule to go on off-peak hours, it is quite easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I second Maynard. There is no real town that is centered as OP hopes that is convenient to Waltham and that isn't Lowell or Salem (city). The culture is scattered. There are very good restaurants, here and there, not in a walkable downtown but in different towns. There's the Bull Run in Shirley for both music and great dinners. Acton Jazz Cafe. Indian Hill Music School for classical in Littleton with special concerts in Groton.
There are some good restaurants in Maynard and a little movie house, too. No hip vibe, just a decent smallish town. I would also prefer Concord or West Concord for the walkable quaint feel, but also would never be able to afford it.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM

30 posts, read 67,197 times
Thank you for your suggestion. We used to live in Boxboro and felt really isolated but probably Maynard is different so that's an option.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:37 PM

What about Andover,MA?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
I'm not sure on the price point, but Maynard may be a good alternative for you. It is quite small and doesn't have a ton of culture, but it is emerging as an interesting sort of alternative for city folks looking to spread out a bit. The downtown was redeveloped when Digital Equipment Company was there and has continued to attract eateries and amenities that make it more fun than you might expect for a small town 20+ miles west of Boston. There is a small arts community in Maynard, a community orchestra and chorus next door in Stow, and lots more in nearby Concord. I wouldn't say that you'd have everything you'd want culturally-speaking, but there's a lot nearby. Your commute would be relatively manageable via route 117 and you'd save quite a bit compared to immediate Boston-area prices. You would also probably end up saving a lot on commuting costs. Most importantly, you'd have some of that small-town feeling you crave. I know a young family that moved out to Maynard from Jamaica Plain for more space and reasonable costs, and they are very happy and have never looked back.

Good luck!
I second Maynard. If you like Salem and West Concord you would probably love it. It has something of a young, alternative artsy vibe, a good wifi café, farmer's markets and some decent little pubs and eating places.

And as other posters have said, if you like Salem, I would look at nearby towns like Beverly. People don't have to stay in the town they sleep in for all their fun.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica View Post
What about Andover,MA?
Andover is a vibrant town similar to Lexington. Like Lexington, more family focused and more high end than the towns you have been looking at.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 PM

I like what you're saying about both Maynard and Andover, thank you. We love Lexington! We definitly have to check them out.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion. We used to live in Boxboro and felt really isolated but probably Maynard is different so that's an option.
Yes, Maynard is entirely different from Boxborough.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM

We went to check out Maynard and even if it does seem to have what we're looking for, we were not amazed or had the "that's it" feeling. It seems like Andover is the last option, or doing a complete job change which would take forever.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Quote:
Hi all,

We are a couple living in the Greater Boston area and we would like to move out to have a (way) more affordable rent ($900 tops but preferably in the 800s for a 1-bedroom apartment) and a more relaxed way of life. My husband works in Waltham,MA (just off 95) and we're looking for a town within a 1 hour or so commute from his job. We're looking for suggestions for a town with a nice downtown, cultural stuff, restaurants, yoga and gym available within a walkable distance, either in Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Rhode Island. Can you think of any place that fit this description? We absolutely love Portsmouth, NH but unfortunately can't afford it but we're looking for a place with the same vibe (relaxed, diverse, vibrant). Also, we are in our late 20's-early 30's and would like a place where we can meet new people like us.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!
/amesbury, Newburyport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts