Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 AM

63 posts, read 119,655 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for 10 months now, 3 offers later, 1 inspection, 1 appraisal and still no home. Our last home fell through because it appraised for 15k less than our offer and they were not willing to budge.

My wife works in Boston, MA while I work in the Worcester Area so close proximity to a train station is a must for her. Our agent recommended this townhouse that is located in Ayer, MA within 5 minutes drive from the train station and affordable. But we've never considered Ayer, our search was mostly focused on the boroughs (Northborough, Southborough, Westborough).

It seems the commute by train is acceptable (1hr) and my commute by car wouldn't be too bad (45 minutes). But I cannot find anything about the town, we are lost. We drove around and while it have some nice areas, seems a bit rough around the edges. We moved to MA last year and plan on being here another 5-10 years.

Thank you in advance. Anything you can tell me about the location would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Ayer has a mix of blue collar and white collar people. The downtown offers its own train station, a pub with live bands, chocolate place, vegetarian restaurant, some other eating places and the rail trail for walking or cycling that goes to the New Hampshire border.

If you are looking at Ayer, I recommend you look at some of the town houses in Acton such as Nagog Woods and in Maynard at DeerPath and Apple Ridge. You may be able to afford a single family home in Maynard for the same price as a townhome in some of these other towns. Stow and Hudson are other towns worth checking out.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawiau View Post
We have been looking for 10 months now, 3 offers later, 1 inspection, 1 appraisal and still no home. Our last home fell through because it appraised for 15k less than our offer and they were not willing to budge.

My wife works in Boston, MA while I work in the Worcester Area so close proximity to a train station is a must for her. Our agent recommended this townhouse that is located in Ayer, MA within 5 minutes drive from the train station and affordable. But we've never considered Ayer, our search was mostly focused on the boroughs (Northborough, Southborough, Westborough).

It seems the commute by train is acceptable (1hr) and my commute by car wouldn't be too bad (45 minutes). But I cannot find anything about the town, we are lost. We drove around and while it have some nice areas, seems a bit rough around the edges. We moved to MA last year and plan on being here another 5-10 years.

Thank you in advance. Anything you can tell me about the location would be appreciated.
The train line going through the boroughs goes into South Station whereas the line going through Ayer goes into North Station. If your wife works closer to South Station, she is still looking at a 1.5 hour commute (5 min drive, 5 min wait/buffer, 1 hour train, 20 min walk) and that's only if she catches the express train. Add about 10 minutes for a local train.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM

229 posts, read 384,884 times
I work in north Cambridge near the Alewife train station. I've been in MA for a few years and I've been to Ayer once... there's a great Korean restaurant there. Anyway, the drive back to Boston area is very long and tiring.

Why are you considering Ayer? Is it because of affordability? Acton does have some great selections, even at around $450K price point, and it is closer to Boston. Schools are great as well.

You have to seriously consider your commute time. 1 hr one way might sound OK now, to get a better house. But 2+ hrs in total every day...

Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Ayer has a mix of blue collar and white collar people. The downtown offers its own train station, a pub with live bands, chocolate place, vegetarian restaurant, some other eating places and the rail trail for walking or cycling that goes to the New Hampshire border.

If you are looking at Ayer, I recommend you look at some of the town houses in Acton such as Nagog Woods and in Maynard at DeerPath and Apple Ridge. You may be able to afford a single family home in Maynard for the same price as a townhome in some of these other towns. Stow and Hudson are other towns worth checking out.

Thank you. We looked at Acton but the HOA fees on some of those condos are insane... might as well buy a house.

Our price range is up to 250k but we would rather stay in the 200's... we make slightly over 100k combined.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
The train line going through the boroughs goes into South Station whereas the line going through Ayer goes into North Station. If your wife works closer to South Station, she is still looking at a 1.5 hour commute (5 min drive, 5 min wait/buffer, 1 hour train, 20 min walk) and that's only if she catches the express train. Add about 10 minutes for a local train.
Still better than her commute now and would be about the same as if we moved in the boroughs.

We live in Clinton now and we were looking to move in the boroughs to reduce her commute time by 2 hours a day. She tested it out, her commute in the boroughs vs Ayer is similar time wise. She walks 15 minute from the Back Bay to her office, from the North Station she would take the subway that is 3 stops away from her office and would drop her right in front of her office.

Basically Ayer or the Boroughs... commute in her case would be about the same which is why we were strongly considering Ayer as a possibility:
-> affordable
-> overall commute

Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
I work in north Cambridge near the Alewife train station. I've been in MA for a few years and I've been to Ayer once... there's a great Korean restaurant there. Anyway, the drive back to Boston area is very long and tiring.

Why are you considering Ayer? Is it because of affordability? Acton does have some great selections, even at around $450K price point, and it is closer to Boston. Schools are great as well.

You have to seriously consider your commute time. 1 hr one way might sound OK now, to get a better house. But 2+ hrs in total every day...

We are considering Ayer because of Affordability and also proximity to a MBTA line. 450K... NO WAY!
We make 105k combined... no way can we afford a 450k house.

My commute is about that right now and it is hasn't been an issue. Anything within an hour, put my music on and I am good; I've had that commute my whole career...

Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
I don't suppose you'd want to share which complex(s) you are looking at in Ayer? I am familiar with a few of them.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Ayer is and odd place.

Most other areas with a train stop in the downtown thrive. Ayer on the other hand has its struggles. If I were to bet I would say its on the way up due to its location. But there is a lot of grit to overcome. The improvements to the Fitchburg line will help as well.

I know this is pushing the commuter rail commute longer but if you look at Leominster which had many condos. Your driving commute, aka the more expensive one, will be shorter. While time wise the commuter rail trip will be longer, it will be the same price as they are in the same zone.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 PM

9,099 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Ayer is and odd place.

Most other areas with a train stop in the downtown thrive. Ayer on the other hand has its struggles. If I were to bet I would say its on the way up due to its location. But there is a lot of grit to overcome. The improvements to the Fitchburg line will help as well.
I wonder if it is the courthouse. Courts attract an odd mix of clientele due to what goes on inside those walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I know this is pushing the commuter rail commute longer but if you look at Leominster which had many condos. Your driving commute, aka the more expensive one, will be shorter. While time wise the commuter rail trip will be longer, it will be the same price as they are in the same zone.
Good suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts