Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 AM

4 posts, read 11,405 times

Advertisements

Taking a job in downtown Boston.
From which surrounding suburban areas is there usually the easiest/most convenient commute to downtown?
Nothing more than a 35 minute commute to downtown.

The towns I've so far been looking into are Quincy, Framingham and Marblehead.

Sure, these towns are in different areas (i.e. North Shore, South Shore, West), but as someone who is not very familiar with the Boston area, I'd really like to get some insights from the locals so that I can get a better idea as to which areas I would seriously consider moving to.

No more than a 35 minute commute one-way is key for me.
Any and all helpful comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
Of the 3 communities you have listed, Quincy is the only that would come close to a 35 minute maximum commute.

Where, specifically is the job? Are you looking to buy or rent? What is your price range? Do you plan to drive or take public transportation?

The answers to these questions will help with responses.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,809,039 times
The answer will depend on where the job is, but you can easily rule out Marblehead and Framingham. I work in the financial district and the younger folks who live in Allston-Brighton take 30-45 min to get into work depending on traffic (bus commute). As you can see even living and working in Boston can be over a 35 min commute.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
Easy commute and Boston do not mix unless you can afford to live really close to work. Your job location, housing budget, and mode of transport will have final say in that regard. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
As others have said, there's really not enough information here to give you a helpful answer. There are plenty of places that area 35 minute commute into Boston. The question is . . . would you be happy living there? If you can answer some questions I think you'll get a better answer like:

-Are you looking for an environment that is suburban, rural, urban or something in between those?
-In what part of Boston will your office be (ideal commuting method will vary greatly for different parts of the city)?
-Are you looking to buy or rent?
-What is your housing budget?
-What type of housing are you looking for (single family home, condo, townhouse, etc.)?
-What type of lifestyle do you live (i.e. are you outdoors-y type or the type that eats out every night)?
-Do you need to commute by car or is public transportation OK?

That information should give us a pretty good start.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,508 times
And, are you single, which means you won't necessarily depend much on what the town can provide, or have you got children, which makes the local schools an important issue?

One thing I've become aware of using this forum, is that commuting by train (as opposed to subway) is a pretty expensive option. Before signing a lease, I suggest looking at the price for a monthly pass--for Framingham, it would be $252.

If you don't need to be concerned about the local schools and your mantra is "No more than a 35 minute commute one-way is key for me" then you should be looking at close-in suburbs and some of the Boston neighborhoods. Think about areas of Cambridge or Somerville or Malden where you could walk to the subway, or Allston, Brighton or Brookline, or Jamaica Plain. Sure, there are compromises needed. You won't get everything, and you will spend money.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,405 times
Thanks for the responses thus far. Sorry for not giving more details in my post.
The job will be in the financial district of downtown.
I am looking to rent (apartment) - about the $850 range. I do have a car, so that is my means of transportation.
I am single with no kids and young, so being close to the nightlife in Boston is key for me.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poofbegone View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far. Sorry for not giving more details in my post.
The job will be in the financial district of downtown.
I am looking to rent (apartment) - about the $850 range. I do have a car, so that is my means of transportation.
I am single with no kids and young, so being close to the nightlife in Boston is key for me.
My suggestion . . . sell your car and commute via public transportation. For when you actually need a car (not often if you live in an area served by the T), there's always Zipcar. Parking is EXPENSIVE in Boston and car insurance is as well. Gas is expensive everywhere in the USA. Your budget will likely allow you to only be someone's roommate, but if you ditch your car and roll that part of your budget into rent instead you'll be better able to find your own place. Many employers in Boston subsidize T passes as well.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,809,039 times
If you can only afford $850/mo on an apartment then you can't afford to drive into Boston everyday. Parking in the financial district is about $400/mo plus $50/mo in tolls. My brain is coming up short on neighborhoods within 35 minutes of the financial district where you can find a 1 bedroom for $850/mo unless you want to hear gunfire every other night. One option, as Mike pointed out, is to share a 2 bedroom with someone. You should be able to find a 2 bedroom apartment in East Boston for under $2k/mo. Maverick Square has many bars/restaurants, is relatively safe and is very close to the financial district. From there you can take the blue line to State Street and walk to your office within 10 minutes. That's the most cost-efficient neighborhood I can think of which would meet your criteria.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Quincy is very workable with a 35 minute train ride in mind. I don't think you'll find an apartment for $850 anywhere but if willing to share a two-bedroom apt with someone you'll have many possibilities, and not just in Quincy. If being close to the nightlife in Boston is key, then why even think about Framingham and Marblehead? Old Marblehead is extremely quaint (if that's your motive) but then so is Charlestown and from there you can walk/bike/take a short cross-harbor ferry to work. Framingham has lots of apartment complexes but no nightlife, and it's 20 miles or more out of town. You would do much better, as Amontillado says, in Quincy, Boston's various districts, Cambridge, Malden, etc., where you're a short subway ride from the Financial District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts