Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,613 times

Advertisements

I have been asking around about people's thoughts on Sudbury and what is it like living there, is it a friendly place to live. I have been deciding to either move our family to Hopkinton or Sudbury and responses that I am getting is that Sudbury is snobby and that people there are not friendly and we wouldn't be happy living in that town. Last thing I need is to be stuck in a town where I don't feel excepted because we don't fall into the category of living in a million dollar+ home ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 08:30 PM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
Ok.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:09 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,601 times
This board should only be one small part of your decision to move to a new town. While there are definitely snobby people in Sudbury, the majority are normal and down to earth. The big million dollar homes are only a fraction of the housing stock, there are many ranches from the 50's, historic homes etc. Go there and check it out yourself, I think you will find most people have impressions rather than experience.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:58 AM

513 posts, read 647,510 times
I have never gotten that impression of Sudbury from posts on this board or from personal experience. In any town in Eastern Mass., you may experience a snob factor. Usually it is just a few individuals that you can choose to avoid.
I think Wolfgang's advice is spot on.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 AM

154 posts, read 257,172 times
I have not encountered that at all living in Sudbury. The people I know here are friendly and down-to-earth.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:18 AM

317 posts, read 431,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshurls View Post
I have been asking around about people's thoughts on Sudbury and what is it like living there, is it a friendly place to live. I have been deciding to either move our family to Hopkinton or Sudbury and responses that I am getting is that Sudbury is snobby and that people there are not friendly and we wouldn't be happy living in that town. Last thing I need is to be stuck in a town where I don't feel excepted because we don't fall into the category of living in a million dollar+ home ect.
What would be more sensible in my limited experience with Sudbury is that it is harder to meet people because the town is more spread out / relatively rural than some other areas, so you may not be in frequent view or contact of your neighbors, making it more difficult to meet people and possibly giving off the vibe of 'snobby', but it's really a density thing.

Plus, it depends who you ask.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:50 AM

38 posts, read 51,208 times
I live in Sudbury and do not consider it snobby. Sure there are some but that is not the majority of people. I coach multiple youth sports and the parents that I interact with of elementary school kids are not snobby at all.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:31 AM

154 posts, read 257,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
What would be more sensible in my limited experience with Sudbury is that it is harder to meet people because the town is more spread out / relatively rural than some other areas, so you may not be in frequent view or contact of your neighbors, making it more difficult to meet people and possibly giving off the vibe of 'snobby', but it's really a density thing.

Plus, it depends who you ask.

I suppose that's possible, although I've lived in high-density areas and can't say I found that made my neighbors friendlier.

OP, if you have kids who are involved in any sports or activities that will help you meet people in town. There are non-stop volunteer opportunities in the elementary schools (I often wish there weren't quite so many calls for volunteers...), and that is another good way to meet and connect with other parents in the community.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:18 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,750 times
It is New England the people are naturally stand offish I know I am one of them. Also, Sudbury is a rich town, compared to many in MA.

I am assuming you have been there? if Not then you need to see for yourself. Also it depends on where you are from and what you are used too.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 PM

96 posts, read 116,642 times
I'm new to Sudbury and haven't found it snobby. My neighbors are very friendly; I see people walking their dogs while I'm waiting for the school bus, and everyone says hello. I haven't had a chance to meet many other parents yet (haven't volunteered at school or signed up for sports), but I hope to start this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts