Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 AM

51 posts, read 126,440 times

Advertisements

Just curious how the traffic and crowdedness is in mass? I am looking to move out of ny and looking into mass or maine.

As a lot of people I'm sure know, Long Island is so overly crowded and the traffic is absolutely horrible!

How is it around cohasset/hingham area?! With a possible job at a hospital in boston, what would my commute be like?

What do you like most about the cohasset and hingham area? Looking for that smaller New England town feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
I was just down in the Cohasset/Hingham area yesterday and I have to go back today. The traffic around town is fine, but the traffic getting in/out of the area on RT 3 & RT 3A made me insane. Luckily, I wasn't going to Boston so I didn't have to get on I93 north because that's probably one of the worst stretches of highway in the state for traffic. I recently had to drive from Quincy to the Longwood medical area and it took me over an hour.

If you're working in Boston, there are far better commuting locations than Hingham/Cohasset unless you're willing to 100% commit yourself to using public transportation. These are not the only places with "small town" feels.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
128 and 93 (Southeast Expressway) can be absolute horror shows, to name two of the worst roads in my experience. The Mass Pike and 93 from Boston towards the north can also be gridlock. If you have an opportunity in Maine, I'd go there.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaab21 View Post
Just curious how the traffic and crowdedness is in mass? I am looking to move out of ny and looking into mass or maine.

As a lot of people I'm sure know, Long Island is so overly crowded and the traffic is absolutely horrible!

How is it around cohasset/hingham area?! With a possible job at a hospital in boston, what would my commute be like?

What do you like most about the cohasset and hingham area? Looking for that smaller New England town feel
It depends on where you live in MA. Some areas are rural and have hardly any traffic. If you're talking about the Boston area, there are plenty of people who never even go there because of the traffic (myself included). Maine sounds like a good idea to me though if you can find a job there.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Hingham and Cohasset are both beautiful towns. Depending on your work hours, you may be able to use the train or commuter ferry to get to Boston.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Agreed about the beauty of Hingham and Cohasset. Casey makes a good point about train or commuter ferry. The other consideration, is if you work off peak hours, it is a relatively easy commute. Many professionals live in those communities and travel to Boston every day.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaab21 View Post

Where would you be working in Boston, and do you know what your hours will be?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Where would you be working in Boston, and do you know what your hours will be?
The last three posts are on the nose. If your hospital/job would be near south station, it's only about a 30 minute train ride from West Hingham station. Pretty manageable.

If the job were elsewhere in the city/metro, other locations may be preferable. Likewise, off-peak work schedules make a big difference.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 PM

278 posts, read 703,436 times
Traffic in/around Boston will be similar to what you would experience heading in towards NYC from LI. The difference is, in MA when you get 15-20 miles or so outside of Boston, the traffic eases up quite a bit. On LI, you are still sitting bumper to bumper 30-40 miles outside of NYC.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Just learn the back roads drive back roads on a sunday and use GPS...and you'll be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts