Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:22 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times

Advertisements

Boston is a great place to live if one can afford it. Is the problem the cost of living or ones ability to afford it? Is this the chicken and egg argument?

I would not return there due to the weather (winter) and cost of living with the weather playing more a role. Same for Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Boston is a great place to live if one can afford it. Is the problem the cost of living or ones ability to afford it? Is this the chicken and egg argument?

I would not return there due to the weather (winter) and cost of living with the weather playing more a role. Same for Chicago.
I could be stood correct here but SC (where you live) and its jobs or lack of and rate of pay is pitiful from what I can tell even though the COL is lower.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:32 PM

560 posts, read 752,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I could be stood correct here but SC (where you live) and its jobs or lack of and rate of pay is pitiful from what I can tell even though the COL is lower.
yeah but pretty much year round golf. cant comlain about that.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
It depends what part of SC you live in. Just like we have our high priced coastal areas, so do they and the wages are roughly comparable. Sure they have their poor areas, but we do, too.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It depends what part of SC you live in. Just like we have our high priced coastal areas, so do they and the wages are roughly comparable. Sure they have their poor areas, but we do, too.
I'll take your word for it.

In my limited search the Accounting jobs aren't plentiful (from what I see or lack of listed in my expertise) nor pay well enough in my view. Trying to find a potential relocation medium these days.

Anyway, Massachusetts is not a bad state to live in - just have that decent paying job or "jaaab" lol j/k!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Quote:
I did not come to SC to make a living. I took the money I made in Chicago and Boston (from jobs and property owned) and retired with it here.

PS

The Comm. of MA also send my wife a very nice monthly retirement check and pays our health benefits. We thank the residents of MA for the high rate of taxes residents they pay which allows MA to do so for us.

We were not dummies.........LOL

Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
so besides the high COL, which is a function of the good paying jobs available to those qualified and great education (both public and private), what makes it the "worst"?

based on just COL, you would also hate NYC, SD, SF, LA, and DC.
to answer your first question, this is a huge argument of it's own - but i think the education around boston is way overrated and overpriced, same as jobs. my argument is simply my entire family's college education is about 1/10 of those around boston (we didn't go to crappy schools either) and we all make more than avg grads around boston. yes you heard me, my brother, sister, and i, all upon graduation, make more than an avg harvard/MIT grad and we paid 1/10 of the cost to go to college

to answer your second question - great point. i have friends that live in NYC/DC/SF/LA, COL is definitely really high there as well, but quality of living is a lot better. Boston you are living in a dump, NYC is the only one comparable to Boston's low life in some areas

Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,052,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i just moved out of Boston after living there for 3 years. it was horrible. i hope to never go back.
Well, goodbye, then.

As far as being one of the "worst place to live," that is subjective as it can be applied to any place of one 's choosing for a variety of reasons. It wasn't a good place for you (and some others), but it's great for others that actually enjoy living there.

Best wishes wherever you go.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The Comm. of MA also send my wife a very nice monthly retirement check and pays our health benefits. We thank the residents of MA for the high rate of taxes residents they pay which allows MA to do so for us.

We were not dummies.........LOL
Classy.

In other news, I can't really disagree with anything the OP said. This place drives me absolutely bonkers, and I can go on at length with how it aggravates me. So we've just bought a house.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Default Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I submit that if you think that Massachusetts is one of the worst places to live you haven't really looked at a lot of other places.

Massachusetts is expensive. That's definitely a mark against it. Salaries are higher than most places, which helps. There are places in the country that are more expensive relative to their salaries, but not many. Housing is particularly expensive and generally old and often just a little bit run down. The roads can be hard to follow and in disrepair. The people can be rude and aggressive and even the nicer ones can be cold at first (where at first can be decades).

It does have some finer points, however. The public transit is better than most cities in the country. The traffic, while crazy, isn't nearly as soul-crushing as somewhere like Atlanta, DC, LA, or Houston. There are four real seasons, including glorious springs, mostly bearable summers, crisp autumns, and winters that only last three months (most years). There's a host of cultural institutions in excess of what a state this size should reasonably have. Large parts of Massachusetts are walkable and almost every town has some bit of history waiting to be discovered. The state is incredibly safe, with relatively low crime (murder rate is ~1.8 / 100000 vs. somewhere like Texas where it's 4.4 or Louisiana where it's 10.8).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts