Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times

Advertisements

Dilligaf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 07:07 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
based on just COL, you would also hate NYC, SD, SF, LA, and DC.
It's not just SD/SF/LA in California that is expensive, it's 75% of the whole state! The entire coast is expensive. Most of the middle is expensive. Even undesirable parts of California - Bakersfield, Fresno, etc - are quite expensive. You can buy a few houses in Lawrence or Lowell or Worcester for the price of one house in Bakersfield (at least ones that aren't meth labs). And in Mass, sure you've got expensive oil heat, but it's not hot. Bakersfield has 2300 cooling degree days a year - i.e. annually, you'd have to use the AC to remove 2300 degrees of heat from your house to be comfortable. In Worcester, that total is 370...

For comparison sake: Bakersfield has another 2200 heating degree days. Worcester has almost 7000!
At least produce is cheap in central CA.

Then there is Hawaii...

Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I'll take your word for it.

In my limited search the Accounting jobs aren't plentiful (from what I see or lack of listed in my expertise) nor pay well enough in my view. Trying to find a potential relocation medium these days.
The unemployment rate isn't bad, though. Looks slightly better than Mass.

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
I agree that not just Massachusetts but all of southern New England sucks now.

It is only a matter of time before southern New England is fully subsumed into New York City culture and turned into the hell that is the mid-Atlantic. That is why I "escaped" to New Hampshire. New Hampshire and Maine will survive a little longer than the rest of New England. Don't get me wrong though, New Hampshire and Maine will eventually lose the highly valued New England culture too but they should outlast me.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I agree that not just Massachusetts but all of southern New England sucks now.

It is only a matter of time before southern New England is fully subsumed into New York City culture and turned into the hell that is the mid-Atlantic. That is why I "escaped" to New Hampshire. New Hampshire and Maine will survive a little longer than the rest of New England. Don't get me wrong though, New Hampshire and Maine will eventually lose the highly valued New England culture too but they should outlast me.
Sorry, but I would have to agree. Much of S NH and ME is almost "lost" now.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:34 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
This is such an uplifting thread.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:23 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I submit that if you think that Massachusetts is one of the worst places to live you haven't really looked at a lot of other places.

Massachusetts is expensive. That's definitely a mark against it. Salaries are higher than most places, which helps. There are places in the country that are more expensive relative to their salaries, but not many. Housing is particularly expensive and generally old and often just a little bit run down. The roads can be hard to follow and in disrepair. The people can be rude and aggressive and even the nicer ones can be cold at first (where at first can be decades).

It does have some finer points, however. The public transit is better than most cities in the country. The traffic, while crazy, isn't nearly as soul-crushing as somewhere like Atlanta, DC, LA, or Houston. There are four real seasons, including glorious springs, mostly bearable summers, crisp autumns, and winters that only last three months (most years). There's a host of cultural institutions in excess of what a state this size should reasonably have. Large parts of Massachusetts are walkable and almost every town has some bit of history waiting to be discovered. The state is incredibly safe, with relatively low crime (murder rate is ~1.8 / 100000 vs. somewhere like Texas where it's 4.4 or Louisiana where it's 10.8).
i would have to disagree that salaries are higher

the finer points are very true. the T is great, one of the best in the country. the seasons are definitely real as well. i never had an issue with crime while i was there. still doesn't change any issues with cost...

Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i would have to disagree that salaries are higher
Well then you would be wrong.

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 San Francisco–Oakland–San Jose, California CMSA 7,239,362 $63,024
2 New York–Northern New Jersey–Long Island, New York–New Jersey–Connecticut–Pennsylvania CMSA 21,199,865 $57,799
3 Washington–Baltimore, District of Columbia–Maryland–Virginia–West Virginia CMSA 7,608,070 $57,291
4 Anchorage, Alaska MSA 260,283 $56,787
5 Minneapolis–St. Paul, Minnesota–Wisconsin CMSA 3,615,902 $54,304
6 Boston–Worcester–Lawrence, Massachusetts–New Hampshire–Maine–Connecticut CMSA 5,819,101 $52,792
7 Hartford, Connecticut MSA 1,183,110 $52,188
8 Atlanta, Georgia MSA 4,112,198 $51,948
9 Honolulu, Hawaii MSA 876,156 $51,914
10 Rochester, Minnesota MSA 124,277 $51,316

Or if you prefer average income

Highest-Paid Cities by Average Income

1. San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City CA Metropolitan Div $63,792
2. New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ Metropolitan Divi $62,759
3. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont $62,625
4. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara $62,182
5. Oakland-Fremont-Hayward CA Metropolitan Divi $61,792
6. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-N $61,637
7. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA NECTA Divi $61,162
8. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan $60,887
9. Trenton-Ewing $60,421

Now maybe your salary isn't higher here, but that's just a good indication that you are much better off leaving.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:11 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
There are so many factors behind those "average" figures that they don't really mean much, though. The only relevant figures for salary would be an apples-to-apples comparison — the salaries for advertising account execs through the different markets, for example.

The numbers may be higher or lower, but they also have to be plugged into a cost/reward scenario for them to mean anything. I do really think Boston metro is one of the worst regions on paper when you crunch the numbers. Even if you make 25% more than if you held the same position elsewhere, should you really be happy about that when your housing expenses are 100% more?

Based on the average of $62,182 mentioned above, and applying the standard tax rate for a single person with no dependents, and then applying the 25%-of-income-toward-housing-expense rule, that puts you at a budget of under $1,000/month for housing, which in Boston gets you a roommate.

But even this is meaningless, as only the individual can decide what's worth it for them. New England as a region offers so much that many people are willing to pay a premium, and comparing salaries and housing costs is just the tip of the iceberg of the evaluation.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
entire state. i live pretty much in the city by Boston, but most of my friends lived out of the city, out to the point they were closer to another state than downtown. cost of living is still ridiculously high

Highly desirable places are expensive. SF was pricier, why? Also super desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts