Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am an native Bostonian married to a women from SC. Along the way we have lived in MA, CA, NYC, OH, IL, MA (again), and presently in SC. We have had the racism discussion many, many, many, times.

Bottom line is most people are racists as much as they say/think they are not. Sorry to say, it is inbred in most cultures and something we need to get over and move forward on. The same as gay marriage. It is what it is. Move on folks.
Both cause damage, but there is a difference between ignorance and hatred. I understand that ignorance is perhaps more difficult to overcome, because as long as there are people who are "different" from you, you will suffer from some ignorance most likely. But things like red lining, throwing rocks, the notes, burning a church...that's hatred. And I don't think fighting against hate is an unworthy cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I do have a small soft spot for Lowell, and that's because it's quickly turning itself around and continues to do so. But what would Lowell be like without UMASS? Honestly, it'd be like a smaller version of Worcester or Springfield or an extension of Lawrence. Worcester has UMASS too but it tries too hard by selling itself as a college town (with several different colleges) but it's still rough and grimy. They are all big secondary cities with bad economies.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,901 times
FCMA's observation about overt racism are consistent with what I've observed as well.

I find the COL to be lower here than most non-rural parts of FL (here being 30 mins away from the city).

Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
You can make a case for any state being the best or worst depending on what is important to you and where you are from. I grew up in NYC but have lived in upstate NY, California, Florida, Texas, and Mississippi. I've driven cross country a half dozen times through 40 states. Massachusetts isn't even close to being one of the worst states to live. But again, it's all relative. If you hate cold winters, humid summers, old houses, liberal politics and sports you won't like it here. If you like autumn and the change of seasons, beaches, the outdoors, the charm of older towns and cities, history, pro sports, and living in safe communities with good schools for the kids, you will like Massachusetts.

I never understood people who voluntarily live in New England yet complain constantly about the weather, politics, or how old everything is...it comes with the territory.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:46 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Lets say a biotech company that conducts a lot of research located in Watertown, or Cambridge moves to Pittsfield. Right off the bat there's probably a high chance a good amount of their current employees don't stay with the company. Then you have to factor in the Pittsfield area does not offer the large amount of educated workers the company needs/wants. Lets not forget being close to Logan Airport is a great asset given you can get non-stop flights to Asia, the Middle East, Europe and all of the US.

Companies do not always move, or increase operations solely on the basis of the cost of operations. There are plenty of other factors involved.
Sure being near Logan can be a great asset but at the same point if a place is easier to get to then it is also easier to leave as well. Will all employees stay? Well about half of them did because they already lived there. So they drove from Pittsfield to Cambridge each day. I personally know some that go from Springfield to Boston each day. Non stop flights to Asia only started recently I know because I flew out of Boston years ago and had to (really) fly out of JFK which is actually closer to Pittsfield.

Operations generally dictate the long and short term aspects. Debts are fixed and assets are variable. By moving work out of the country they seek to minimize the most controllable costs, labor. Yet they maximize their uncontrollable costs. Fuel costs, currency rates, foreign regulations, time differences, translation etc. Look at Quicken loans. Quicken loans was considering moving to Brazil. But once they factored these in there was only a 15% savings vs...Detroit. So that's where they moved to.

Here's another one. In the late 1970's DeLorean decided to have his plant in Belfast instead of San Juan Puerto Rico. Well what happened? The pound surged in value to the point where they had to raise the price of the car 50%. DMC-12000 was the serial number for a reason that was the original price. But when the pound surged in value they had to change it. Had it been made in San Juan it would have been much different.

Richard Florida even wrote that housing is the major component of costs of living. Boston now is roughly the same price if not more then NYC. As I mentioned before if it is easy to get to then it is easier to stay. By moving to pittsfield the employer stands out and is more likely to retain those employees. Rather then inflate salaries beyond the means that they can operate in.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:41 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Look at Quicken loans. Quicken loans was considering moving to Brazil. But once they factored these in there was only a 15% savings vs...Detroit. So that's where they moved to.
More they didn't move.
Rock Financial/Quicken Loans had always been based in metro Detroit. From 85 to 2010, they were headquartered in the suburbs. They moved downtown.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 AM

76 posts, read 106,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Operations generally dictate the long and short term aspects. Debts are fixed and assets are variable. By moving work out of the country they seek to minimize the most controllable costs, labor. Yet they maximize their uncontrollable costs. Fuel costs, currency rates, foreign regulations, time differences, translation etc.
One claim I've read is that outsourcing really increases coordination problems, so savings on labor is at least partly offset by increased management costs. But for management, increased mgt costs is probably a feature not a bug.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
So even with MA unemployment in the mid 5% range:

I just wonder how easy/quick/hard/slow is it to secure a job in the Boston metro area that doesn't require giving up "my left arm". BTW - I'm in Accounting support.

Need to see if it makes sense or will the thread title make sense. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Try NJ (other than the SW area) and you might see that Massachusetts RE isn't all that bad in comparison.
NY and NJ have some of the worst taxes over MA

Old 08-14-2014, 06:22 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
NY and NJ have some of the worst taxes over MA
Yep that's what I was saying.

It's BADDDDDDD expensive in the NYC influenced areas of NY, NJ and part of CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts