Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking: 400-450K for 4 bedrooms, good schools, 45 minute commute, decent schools, nice town

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:50 PM

304 posts, read 774,434 times

Advertisements

I work in Cambridge and many people seem to live in Lexington, Belmont, Winchester, Newton, Arlington and Melrose. I think all of those places have about 1/2 hour commute. I would definitely say that Melrose is the most affordable for your price range and is a beautiful town. If I had all the money in the world, Winchester would be my first bet.

Also, any town along the Redline would work as there are 4 stops in different parts of Cambridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Take it down to $400K for a 3 bedroom and you might have a bit more luck. You are still going to be limited and probably need to buy a "fixer". I second Medford schools leaving something to be desired. Boston Magazine has one issue each year devoted to rating the individual school systems and it might be a good place to start narrowing down your search. Just be aware that some of the criteria they use to determine the best school districts might not match up with your criteria.

I think there's also an MCAS portion of the mass.gov website (or the education part of that website?). You can probably google it and find out. You can use the MCAS scores to *help* narrow down your choice as well. I wouldn't advise going only by MCAS scores either. But the more you know about each district, the more you can compare and contrast. When we moved here 11 years ago, I targeted what I perceived to be the 10 best districts in MA and then cross referenced it with our commute, housing budget, etc. That narrowed it down to about 2 towns. We've been very , very happy with our decision. Excellent schools and a great place to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts