Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 11,506 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a 53 year old widow and I am looking to move to Massachusetts to live closer to my daughter, who has just rented an apartment in Beverly. I currently live in England, but I have a total of $800,000 to secure myself a place to live. However, I do not want to spend all of this on a home - perhaps only around $450,000 - $500,000.

I am also perhaps considering moving to New Hampshire, because I heard that it is a lot cheaper than Massachusetts and there is no sales or income tax.

I would like to know what are nice areas around the Beverly area to live - like Gloucester, Salem, Rockport. And also I would like to know what are the costs of living minus mortgage and food. For instance, how much do things like electricity, cable/phone, and heating run per year. I am planning a trip to the area in about 3 weeks.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 AM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
If you have 800k- you could buy a nice condo/townhouse within 30 miles of Boston for 325K 0r less. Heating on a budget would be $75 a month, electricity about the same, cable TV-average about $45-50 depending on what you want.
The towns of Gloucester, Salem, Rockport, may be a bit more for real estate.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:02 PM

180 posts, read 733,811 times
Glos,salem,Rockport are very nice towns but near the ocean on the coolish side, especially around springtime, takes forever to warm up. Inland much warmer in spring and summer, even 20 miles from the coast. NH is much cheaper real estate wise and most places in New England are the same food wise, utilities wise. I would agree though get the condo and have no worries of upkeep.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Up in that area the price varies depending on how close you want to be near the water and the condition of the place. Condo is a good choice. However, it also means maintenance/condo fee between $100-500 depending of what amenities the condo offers. The other thing to consider before buying a condo is resale. The price for condo do not go up as fast and not as easy to sell (depending on competition.) On a real estate down turn, you could be sitting on a property for a couple of years.

Since your daughter is currently renting and could move to other areas. I suggest you rent for a few months. This will give you some time to check out the areas you like. A one bedroom condo/apartment should be reasonable.

Last of all, NH is an option. However, I am not sure how comfortable you are with driving and what is reasonable distance from your daughter. Also, do you prefer city (urban) versus suburban? Do you like to go into Boston often? Renting initially would give you time to sort things out without major commitment.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:30 AM

180 posts, read 733,811 times
Yea, but what if she doesn't want to move all her stuff twice? Don't forget she's a 53 year old widow with no help except her daughter.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:11 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
Smile Where to live around here!

Last week I went to an Open House in Hampton Falls, New Hampshire to "The Village at Pelton Farm". They were without a doubt, absolutely STUNNING. I don't know who the builder is, but I can tell you the quality work on them is just incredible, they really did an amazing job on this project. We knew the farmer for years and years that owned the land, he sold it to this developer and he still has part of his farm left on the property, Mr. Pelton's vegetables and farm stand is missed already around here, but he had to do what he had to do, that's life. He's 90 years old and still going strong. These condos that were built on his property are going in the low
400's. Just go to Pelton Farm on the internet to see what I mean about them. Good luck, if you can't find them, then email me, I'll look for it here on Private Messages above.

Depot Square is another possibility right in Beverly, MA. Those look ideal as well. It would be up to where you wanted to live. Would you mind the drive down from New Hampshire to the Beverly area? I myself don't mind it one bit, you'd only be about 30 minutes or so away, if you do choose the Seacoast of New Hampshire area to live in. You would have I-95 not even a mile away from the Hampton Falls, NH townhouses I spoke of. It's up to you and where you want to live of course. You'd have to take your time when you get over here and check all these places out good. I don't think I'd rent at first myself. It's the moving twice that would be a royal pain for me. If you could try to get a townhouse or condo it would be ideal. You are the same age as me and I'm going this same route myself eventually! Why worry about the heater, the roof and who's going to mow the lawn and plow the snow in the driveway in the winter months? It's not worth it. What you spend on condo fees? You'd be spending that if not more if you owned your house because you'd still have to hire all these people to help you get things done.

Beverly & Salem are nice, I have friends that live in both places and they're happy there and they probably wouldn't live any where else. There kids all went to school there. I'm used to the seacoast of NH myself. I go down that way and it's just too congested for me! It's not just the Beverly or Salem area? It's ANY where south of NH that I go now, it's WAY too built up and WAY too many people everywhere now! Even when I go down to Cape Cod, it's JUST SO SO crowded and WAY too much to deal with when it comes to traffic. But that's just how you get from living in NH. I never thought it would happen to me, but it definitely does! It's amazing how used to a place you get, especially living around here, in this part of New England.

You might have read on this thread all the negativity of living south of Concord, NH as opposed to north of Concord, NH? Well they're right about the people that live south of Concord, NH, because we're all transplants from either MASS or New York or another state in New England! A LOT of transplants live in southern NH, a LOT. BUT you know? That's life now in a nutshell for a lot of people no matter where they live in the USA. It's just a fact of life and it's not going away any time soon. The younger generation is moving all over the country and they SHOULD because that's what makes our country so great to live in. One thing about living in New England in this region? You're going to love the attitude and the flair of it all. You're going to love the politics, the lifestyle and the charm. It'll be wrapped up in one package and you're going to end up really enjoying the people, the quality of life and the ambiance of it all. The mountains are a hop, skip and a jump away, the ocean will be right out the back door if you want. The city of Boston for dinner in the North End or a play in the theater district is only a train ride from Beverly or Newburyport OR even Exeter, NH. OR you could drive down I-95 and be there in no time IF you don't mind paying for the parking down there of course, it's up to you.

Good luck wherever you decide to live, I know you'll be VERY happy living in New England, especially where your daughter will be living here as well. It will seem like you're in England because New England is the closest to England that you can get! As you know, we share a lot of many town names. Newmarket, England? We have Newmarket, NH. Exeter, England? We have Exeter, NH.

If you end up moving to Beverly, MA? You have Beverley, England....

Essex county, northeastern Massachusetts, U.S. It is situated on Beverly Harbor, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean, just north of Salem. Settled about 1626, it was named for Beverley, England, when incorporated as a town (township) in 1668. It early developed as a shipping centre, and the schooner Hannah, claimed to be the first ship of the U.S. Navy, was commissioned (September 5, 1775) at Glover's…

MUCH HAPPINESS and GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 11-05-2006 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: spelling again...sorry!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
BTW, you might want to check on immigration laws. You can't do this on a tourist visa.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Yea, but what if she doesn't want to move all her stuff twice? Don't forget she's a 53 year old widow with no help except her daughter.
Yes. She is 53 year young. She just reach middle age. (Middle of 100 is 50.) She has NO baggage either. Her daughter is grown and easy to move.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
BTW, you might want to check on immigration laws. You can't do this on a tourist visa.
There are plenty of guys here that can help her change the status. Especially a pretty person with a $400K house.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
MovingtoMassachusetts you take care of YOURSELF when you get over here! Don't get stuck with some guy over here that is on a mission and wants what you have, ya hear me, you can spot them a mile away, it's written all over there faces around here! Forrgettabouttit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts