Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGr View Post
Not really, I make use of my mountain bike (in the winter with studded tires ) and my road bike (in the summer)--my route involved a 10 mile ride to downtown from the suburbs.

There were some close calls riding in Montreal over the years but I made it through. FYI, in Montreal we had two cycling fatalities this year AFAIK. How many cycling fatalities were in Boston, would you happen to know?

Cheers,
George
If you are not a knucklehead college student and are someone who is accustomed to riding and riding on roads I personally think you’ll be fine. I am less of a commuter than I used to be due to family responsibilities but I used to commute almost year round (never got studded tires and stop when it gets to 15F or thereabouts). I still commute a good amount, just not as much as I used to. I can get to work in 4 miles but usually take the longer route and stretch it to 10 miles. I also ride a good amount on nice country roads on the weekends – either solo or with a group.

I don’t find it nearly as bad as others are saying. Sure I’ve come across rude motorists here and there (who hasn’t!) but for the most part, it’s been perfectly symbiotic. I don’t expect motorists to see me and I’m not an arrogant jerk when I ride. I take the lane when I need to, move over when I don’t, etc. All the regular old rules. To me, the other cyclists on the road are more dangerous than the cars. Depending on where you are riding, there can be a large amount of commuters. When in the city vicinity I am often moving as fast as the cars. I don’t know, I’m not going to write a whole novel here but the point is that I am surprised at the doom sounding warnings. NO! Don’t throw that leg over your top tube...the neighborhood men will come beat you with hammers!!! It’s not terrible at all. It’s a city, ride in it like any other. I’m predictable, try to be courteous, etc. Like I said, there have been instances but I don’t think motorists are any more rude than other places.

Charles River Wheelmen in one of the oldest clubs in the USA. It’s big, over 2k members. They do group rides all over the place. Offer discounts at many shops (as most clubs do), have many different distance options on rides, many different types of rides from fitness to leisure (they aren’t a racing club), go from beginner to advanced, and bunches of other things. But it’s a big club. I’m a member and go on many of their rides but I prefer smaller clubs – much more personal. You don’t really feel like a member of a club with them because they are so big. But there are good things about them too. Because of their size, they offer many varied rides and information. Anywhoo, check out their website. And if you care to, take a look at the RoadBikeReview.com Boston forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 11,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
If you are not a knucklehead college student and are someone who is accustomed to riding and riding on roads I personally think you’ll be fine. I am less of a commuter than I used to be due to family responsibilities but I used to commute almost year round (never got studded tires and stop when it gets to 15F or thereabouts). I still commute a good amount, just not as much as I used to. I can get to work in 4 miles but usually take the longer route and stretch it to 10 miles. I also ride a good amount on nice country roads on the weekends – either solo or with a group.[/font][/color]
Nope not a college student but I do like riding "fast" ; often enough I keep up with the traffic and move in the middle of the lane. I have been riding on roads for the better part of two decades in cities such as Montreal, Los Angeles, San Fransisco with no issues. I have also toured a good chunk of North America and parts of Europe with my bicycle as part of multi-day holiday trips. So I am not that concerned, but I have never been in Boston so I try to keep an open mind and listen to the warnings George is raising.

Quote:

I don’t find it nearly as bad as others are saying. Sure I’ve come across rude motorists here and there (who hasn’t!) but for the most part, it’s been perfectly symbiotic. I don’t expect motorists to see me and I’m not an arrogant jerk when I ride. I take the lane when I need to, move over when I don’t, etc. All the regular old rules. To me, the other cyclists on the road are more dangerous than the cars. Depending on where you are riding, there can be a large amount of commuters. When in the city vicinity I am often moving as fast as the cars. I don’t know, I’m not going to write a whole novel here but the point is that I am surprised at the doom sounding warnings. NO! Don’t throw that leg over your top tube...the neighborhood men will come beat you with hammers!!! It’s not terrible at all. It’s a city, ride in it like any other. I’m predictable, try to be courteous, etc. Like I said, there have been instances but I don’t think motorists are any more rude than other places.
My experience exactly G. I do not think it will feel that much different than the experience I have had in Montreal TBH, but I will have to see for myself and I will tell . Anyhow, I was always planning to reply back on this thread with the location I rented and my cycling experience in Boston.

Quote:
Charles River Wheelmen in one of the oldest clubs in the USA. It’s big, over 2k members. They do group rides all over the place. Offer discounts at many shops (as most clubs do), have many different distance options on rides, many different types of rides from fitness to leisure (they aren’t a racing club), go from beginner to advanced, and bunches of other things. But it’s a big club. I’m a member and go on many of their rides but I prefer smaller clubs – much more personal. You don’t really feel like a member of a club with them because they are so big. But there are good things about them too. Because of their size, they offer many varied rides and information. Anywhoo, check out their website. And if you care to, take a look at the RoadBikeReview.com Boston forum.
Hm, yes that is one large club indeed! I do like going to planned rides but I also enjoy going solo at times. Are there any hills, mountains with fairly long (5+ miles, 10''+ gradient) climbs? I do enjoy climbing quite a bit and I do it when I can. FYI, I am predominantly a road cyclist and I only use my mountain bike for those winter snow-covered roads.

Thanks again for your help!
George

Old 12-22-2014, 02:10 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGr View Post
Hm, yes that is one large club indeed! I do like going to planned rides but I also enjoy going solo at times. Are there any hills, mountains with fairly long (5+ miles, 10''+ gradient) climbs? I do enjoy climbing quite a bit and I do it when I can. FYI, I am predominantly a road cyclist and I only use my mountain bike for those winter snow-covered roads.
I was a MTBer in the old days but crossed over to the dark side about 5 yrs ago when I moved to Boston. So I’ve been a roadie for that long. I’m also a skinny little runt but I climb like a mofo.

Unfortunately, there are no great climbs here. It’s not all flat though. There are some very fun rollers around. The town of Harvard has some ok hills. One of the CRW (Charles River Wheelmen) groups does a hill ride out there. There are the Blue Hills but the best climb there is maybe 1.5 miles of around 9% avg. Which is nothing to sneeze at but you know, not a great climb. Around the city environ we’re talking mainly some hills at maybe ¼ to ½ of a mile at maybe 8%ish - good for a repeat workout but not a climb. Belmont has some OK hills but isn’t a great place to ride IMO. For my money, I would choose the area in and around concord MA. Rolling hills, nice scenery, many cyclists so motorists are aware, well marked routes, etc. There are lots of great places to ride actually, from wooded to coastline – too many to go over. But no, no good climbing. Mt Wachusett is probably up there as a good place to climb in MA but even that is sub 5 miles. I think it’s around 4 miles at an avg of 5%. CRW has a nice century ride with that climb thrown in.

The best climbing ‘round here is in NH. Lots of variety from long steady grades to crazy sharp and short...approaching a painful lactic acid explosion surpassing grades of 20% (yes, I’m serious and yes, I know what a 20% grade looks like. Believe me, it’s an accurate estimation). The long steady climbs they have in NH are pretty great though. There’s a big cycling community out here, and at all levels. I don’t think you’ll have too many problems finding out about good rides and nice climbs that’ll satiate you. But for the kind of climbing you speak of, you’ll have to drive there.

This may help too just to give you an idea: http://www.northeastcycling.com/Mtn_Climbs.html

And don’t get me wrong with CRW. It’s big but that means it has much variety for group rides. I have my regular group rides that I go on with some of their groups but also go on some that aren’t regular. I’m always welcomed. So it’s like I go on those regular rides and know those people and it’s nice and all but I don’t feel like I’m going on a group ride with the CRW, just that I’m going on a ride with these people...who happen to belong to the same club. It’s not that it’s bad, just that it’s not an intimate club. But the amount of ride options is good and they ride all year round. Check out their site, and check out that boston section of the roadbikereview forum and do some searches, they should have some info on climbing.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:46 AM

264 posts, read 389,350 times
Just wanted to say good luck and welcome to Boston! Coming from Montreal I believe you will like it here.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Thank you all for your input guys!
Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 AM

Thank you all for your input guys!
Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Merry Christmas to you, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts