Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 45,584 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just want some info on newburyport as myself and my wife are moving there in 2 weeks. What are the schools like, house prices etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 06:11 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Everybody that lives in New England loves Newburyport, trust me, in fact, it's one of the nicest communities north of Boston to live in. Just think of how convenient it will be for you. It's considered expensive there to live, so bring your check book and get used to it being out a lot!

I think if you want to read more about the town you could go to the Newburyport News online. The Daily News of Newburyport had a really good article just the other day (October 30th) written by Nick Pinto one of the staff writers. In it, he talks about the tax hike that may loom for the schools. The article was very interesting because it listed the middle schools that would be needing additions due to the over crowded situation that's at a lot of them now. One of the schools was the Bresnahan which is right in Newburyport. This problem of overcrowded schools isn't just in Newburyport, it's in quite a lot of towns and cities throughout the region, so take it with a grain of salt because it's an issue at a lot of town meetings day in and day out around here! It's a fact of life now more than ever and the towns, villages and cities just need to "get a grip" and realize that the over crowding isn't going to end tomorrow, the town or city citizens just need to plan for it with bigger schools and additions. (Again, get the checkbook ready!)

I still think you're going to love living in Newburyport regardless! If it's in two weeks, you better get packing!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 11-05-2006 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: oops...spelling

Old 11-05-2006, 10:07 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Newburyport is one of the smallest cities in Massachusetts, yet surely one of the most beautiful. With its brick sidewalks and cobblestone streets, it harkens back to the heady days of Captain Cook and other intrepid Sea Captains of a bygone age. Quaint shops, fine restaurants, and a busy waterfront ensure that there's something for everyone. Summer adds Arts Festivals, sidewalk vendors, and outside music to the pallet. Fishing Charters, Whale Watches, and Harbor Tours bring the good times outside into the fresh air on those glorious summer days. All within a 20 minute drive.
Plum Island is a 12 mile long Barrier island minutes from downtown Newburyport. It is probably best known for the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, a 4000+ acre area of protected seashore. With miles of pristine beaches and grassy dunes, the refuge makes for a perfect day trip for hiking, exploring and fishing.

Along scenic Rte. 1-A if you keep driving south you'll come to the town of Ipswich, here you'll turn for Argilla Rd. where you'll find the Crane Estate, I believe it's open from April until October, although if you check online they have the Crane Estate Holiday Festival there where they decorate all the rooms and it's all lit up over the Christmas season, it's pretty nice! In the summer you can take rides down here for Crane's Beach, it's one of the prettiest beaches on the east coast.

There's a lot of exploring to do from Newburyport, you're both going to be very very busy once you get settled. There's also NORTH of Newburyport too don't forget, driving along the NH seacoast will lead you right up to the Kittery Outlets for shopping and of course beyond here you can get to York Village and the Nubble Light House that's going to be lit up the Saturday after Thanksgiving at approximately 5PM, so remember that if you're wondering where to go and what to do that afternoon, it's a big event. Santa arrives in a red truck at sundown and it's a pretty neat tradition to see the "Nubble" get all lit up for the holiday season, try not to miss it!

Old 11-05-2006, 05:54 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Newburyport is a beautiful 'port' city. Old, historic, New England classic, with good restaurants and beautiful views. Newburyport... Portsmouth...Portland... you can't go wrong if it has the word 'port' in it.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 45,584 times
Thank you for the tips and advice. We cant wait as we have been to newburyport tons of times already as we live about 20 mins away in NH atm. It will be nice to be back in a town again after living in the middle of nowwhere in NH for the last 8 months. The irish bar in newburyport is a letdown oh well but at least it serves some well known irish alcohol.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 PM

14 posts, read 70,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman View Post
Thank you for the tips and advice. We cant wait as we have been to newburyport tons of times already as we live about 20 mins away in NH atm. It will be nice to be back in a town again after living in the middle of nowwhere in NH for the last 8 months. The irish bar in newburyport is a letdown oh well but at least it serves some well known irish alcohol.
SLANTE! I live in Newburyport! The Irish pub sometimes has some great Irish music, on the weekends. I think thier food is really good, too. There is also an Irish and a British shop on Market Street, so when you get a hankering for some old country bickies, you can find them there!

Welcome!

( I lived in Dublin for a year a long time ago...loved it! Also had a long term relationship with a sweet Irishman from Portadown. If you play soccer, there are some local men's leagues in the area, too. )

Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 AM

8 posts, read 40,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly1 View Post
SLANTE! I live in Newburyport! The Irish pub sometimes has some great Irish music, on the weekends. I think thier food is really good, too. There is also an Irish and a British shop on Market Street, so when you get a hankering for some old country bickies, you can find them there!

Welcome!

( I lived in Dublin for a year a long time ago...loved it! Also had a long term relationship with a sweet Irishman from Portadown. If you play soccer, there are some local men's leagues in the area, too. )
Sadly, the Irish bar got shut down recently(didn't pay their taxes). Id say there's a fair chance it will reopen though.

Last edited by pekinduck; 09-28-2008 at 01:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts