Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:49 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,818,891 times

Advertisements

I didn't read through the whole thread but to answer the OP's question: definitely not! I moved here from the South and have no intention of moving back. The South is nice on paper but every year you live there you realize more and more WHY it's so cheap to live there. Boston on the other hand is a very hard city to move to, but if you stick out the first few years then it gets better assuming you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Moved south 4 years ago and don't miss the snow and long winters and short spring, summer, and fall. I will add I really dislike the cold. I live in Texas and 90 is comfortable because it is nowhere near as humid as New England when it gets to the 90's. I come back to New England in the summers to visit and that works...don't need anymore than that. Fall and Spring are really nice here and we have some winter days in the 70's.

The first snowfall is nice, but I always found after Christmas in New England was over January thru April could drag. Then the nice weather would tease you with a few days and many times it would go straight to humid in late June. You barely got a spring. I didn't mind September and October, but after Halloween you knew it was downhill and there would be a long way until Summer.
That is pretty much how it was last year and will be this year.

Six months of winter, staring in November and ending in April, with nothing blooming until May.

May and June beautiful, then oppressive humidity July, August and early September. A few nice days through October. Then this season's winter already starting in November.

I remember when I moved here many years ago, the croci would appear in early February and there were many more livable days.

The weather pattern seems to be getting worse every year.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:30 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
I lived in South Florida when I was in college. I couldn't wait to get out of there by my senior year. It's just such a different place. I may go back there to retire some day, but in my opinion if you're willing to put up with some snow for a couple of months every year then there are a lot of perks to live here.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
My son has lived in Boston, Chicago, and again Boston (Andover actually). He says this is his last winter there. He knows SC from visiting me here so I expect he will end up here. We shall see.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:43 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
I actually thought this winter was fairly mild up until a couple weeks ago. It was 60 on Christmas Day. It was in the 50's a number of days in Juanuary. We had hardly any snow until we had the blizzard. We just happened to get 3 months worth of winter in 3 weeks time.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
@scratchie, glad to hear you happily relocated. If I ever follow through on this, I might need your advice some time on triangle towns.
Glad to help, shoot me a PM anytime, or just check out the Raleigh/NC forums here at CD (plenty of people who know way more about the region than I do!).

Old 02-13-2015, 06:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sorry, I finished grad school long ago. You wasted money at that mediocre over priced BU? Not too bright. And you judge success by earnings? Not too bright was being too kind. Many of the most successful people I know make half of what I make.
You people in New England are still bitter I see. Bless your heart.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I lived in South Florida when I was in college. I couldn't wait to get out of there by my senior year. It's just such a different place. I may go back there to retire some day, but in my opinion if you're willing to put up with some snow for a couple of months every year then there are a lot of perks to live here.
You moved back to Boston from South Florida LMAO.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:08 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times
To answer the O.P's question, nope.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 4,315 times
I had to laugh at a lot of the posts that are negative about Texas and living in the South with us bad conservatives! LOL.

Just an FYI YA"LL

Today we will be experiencing a brutally cold weather storm consisting of abundant sunshine and "gasp" temperatures today are expected to dip all the way down to 77 degrees. Wind-chill with nw winds of 5-10 mph will bring that down to a beer warming threatening 75 degrees!

I know I will have to prepare for this onslaught of bad weather as today I will be mowing my lawn with cutoffs and flip flops and will don extra layers of protection with my ray ban sun shades to shield my baby blues from the suns rays.

When I get finished today I plan on putting a couple of T-bones on the grill, enjoy a couple more beers outside on the back porch. I may even come inside for a minute to watch the weather up there on my FOX news!

Ya'll take care now up there ya hear!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts