Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:40 AM

16 posts, read 20,051 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the South Shore from Boston because we're looking for a little more land/someplace we can raise small livestock (definitely chickens, maybe goats?). We have basically zero familiarity with the South Shore, but have focused on it because their commuter rails stop at JFK/UMass.

But what worries me (yes, I understand the irony coming from a Boston Public Schools parent) are the schools. We have three sons (only one is old enough for school right now) and I'm really worried about them fitting in. My oldest, the only one who is old enough to speculate about right now, is not all that athletic and, if he follows in his parents' footsteps, will be a sort of nerdy liberal. My very small high school was extremely conservative and I stuck out like a sore thumb. I would love to avoid that for my sons.

So far, I've seen that the South Shore has among the most conservative voting records in Massachusetts, and that Marshfield/Duxbury have some kind of fierce football rivalry. If people don't fit that mold, are there any places where we would fit in? Any place on the coast? What about slightly inland? Bonus if there is any sort of diversity...

We drove through Scituate last weekend and thought the "downtown" was lovely, but it's so hard to really get to know a town just in an afternoon.

I would really love any insight! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 AM

Oh, and one more point on the schools: I would love for them to not be hyper-competitive. A "good" school district is great, but I'd prefer someplace ranked lower if it meant less competition, so long as there are adequate opportunities to succeed. (I.e., if the high school has no AP classes or arts program, that's a problem. But if the high school has those things and they just aren't as "good" as those in neighboring towns, that's fine. Does that make any sense?)

Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
You didn't mention a budget, but I would look at the towns of the Silver Lake Regional School District: Halifax, Kingston, Plympton. Not sure about their political leanings but these towns are definitely more laid back than Cohasset, Deluxebury, Norwell and others.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 AM

Oh right, budget. We would like to spend less than $500k.

Thanks for your insight!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 AM

728 posts, read 975,928 times
As someone else noted, Kingston and Plympton wouldn't be the worst choice for your criteria. How do you feel about somewhere in Plymouth? It's a fairly large town and it's not stuffy.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 AM

I don't know much (anything) about Plymouth. I know this probabl sounds crazy, but I do have some concerns about living in the same town as a nuclear power plant. Misguided???

Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 AM

728 posts, read 975,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybelly03 View Post
I don't know much (anything) about Plymouth. I know this probabl sounds crazy, but I do have some concerns about living in the same town as a nuclear power plant. Misguided???

Not misguided at all. It would definitely be on my "con" list!!!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybelly03 View Post
Yes, IMO.

On the outrageously rare chance that something did happen, living in that town, vs the next town, won't make much of any difference.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

Fair enough. I guess I would like to be outside the 10 mile evacuation radius, tho... (As I said, I know this is sort of crazy.)

Old 03-12-2015, 11:06 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Yes the south shore leans to the right but I don't think that's exactly reflected with the schools. Having said that communities can be quite supportive. Marshfield made a new high school where quite a number of strings were pulled with donations. Supposedly one parent works for NECN and donated the tv studio!

I grew up in the south shore and recently moved. I can tell you that where I left there are going to be some cuts to the school. I would blame that also on the fact that no one is writing grants for the town and we already put on three school roofs.

The commuter rail works but please keep in mind it is not nearly as constant as the redline. Usually you get one trip an hour. It took quite a bit to expand weekend service although the recent snowfall certainly delayed things.

A fair amount of towns in the area have their own boards on facebook. It can be a bit intense sometimes but cooperative at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts