Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:24 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
After giving it some thought, Seekonk actually might not be bad for both commutes. Your husband can drive to Newport via routes 195/24. The route avoids Providence and is probably about 45 minutes. Worst part of it is probably over the Braga Bridge through Fall River. You would have two somewhat close (as long as you don't live in S Seekonk) commuter rail options at S Attleboro and downtown Attleboro. Furthermore, Seekonk is very close to Providence for after work options.
Actually, the Braga Bridge is almost never a problem if you are driving towards Fall River in the morning (the other direction is another story). Even when you get a congestion near and over the Braga Bridge, it's really not that bad. I have done that drive million times. Route 24 is also a breeze in the morning so long as you are driving down towards Portsmouth.

Seekonk is not a bad town, really. There are a lot of shopping and entertainment venues nearby, and housing prices are probably the most reasonable in the area, along with East Providence. It's also pretty safe. Close to Providence. The school system could be better, but there are some good private/parochial school options nearby. I always liked Seekonk.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 04:56 AM

374 posts, read 655,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Actually, the Braga Bridge is almost never a problem if you are driving towards Fall River in the morning (the other direction is another story). Even when you get a congestion near and over the Braga Bridge, it's really not that bad. I have done that drive million times. Route 24 is also a breeze in the morning so long as you are driving down towards Portsmouth.

Seekonk is not a bad town, really. There are a lot of shopping and entertainment venues nearby, and housing prices are probably the most reasonable in the area, along with East Providence. It's also pretty safe. Close to Providence. The school system could be better, but there are some good private/parochial school options nearby. I always liked Seekonk.

Mick
Braga Bridge backs up heading in the direction of Fall River. At least Seekonk provides some options for the OP to reach Newport. The person does not have to drive through Fall River to reach 24.

Bill

Old 09-17-2015, 07:32 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
You still have to drive through Fall River to reach 24 from Seekonk. There are other options to get to Newport that don't involve 24: the long slog down 114 or 136 to the Mount Hope Bridge, or going through Providence to I-95 south, Route 4, and the Jamestown and Newport Bridges. Neither one is an improvement over 195 through Fall River to 24.

Also, Seekonk is long north to south and narrow east to west. The OP can either live near Attleboro to be closer to the train and add a lot of local roads to get to Newport, or live near 195 and not be near a commuter rail station.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 650 times
Seekonk is your best bet. Very easy to Navy base Newport (I do it every day). 35 min in off hours, 45 typical. 50 is a worse case. 195 to 24, -or- thru Bristol (generally ok off peak especially, plus a pleasant drive always). He will be always in the opposite side of any traffic.

As for South Station, Attleboro train, nuff said.

Fall River / New Bedford should never be a consideration; Mansfield way too far from Newport...

Old 06-05-2016, 08:39 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times
Seekonk works but the commute to Boston is awful and there's no way around that. The magic train from Attleboro is still going to be a looooong haul that will grow old quickly.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Personally, I'd pick a town off Route 24 that is reasonably close to commuter rail. Attleboro to Newport would be a PITA with the Providence traffic. Route 24 has no traffic for that commute to Newport. I have friends in South Easton by Stonehill college. They use the Stoughton MBTA station to get to the Financial District. Among other things, the train originates in Stoughton so it's empty. If you get on commuter rail in Attleboro, I'm sure it can be pretty full a lot of days. Near the Middleboro/Lakeville or Bridgewater stations would work, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts