Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,778 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband's in the Navy and is working at Newport RI. I found a job in Boston near South Station. I was planning on taking the commuter rail into the city. We want to live close to one of the commuter stations but still have an hour or less commute for my husband going into Newport RI. I'm looking at the Providence or Middleborough line. Any suggestions on towns/cities we should consider? We have a son but he'll be going into daycare so we don't need to worry about schools just yet.

Cities that we're considering just looking at Google and the commute:
Easton
Mansfield
Raynham
Taunton
Berkley
Lakeville
Bridegwater
Seekonk

I've heard that Taunton has a lot of crime. Is it as bad as it sounds? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 AM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Some parts of Taunton seem okay, but overall I'd prefer to live elsewhere.

Mansfield would be good but I'd worry about that commute to Newport. I would think it would be over an hour.

This is tough because you want to be a reasonable distance to your son's daycare from work.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:08 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Is the job in south station really worth it? That sounds like a heck of a situation. The commuter rail can be a pain in arse especially in the winter, it's not always reliable. Having a child in daycare I'd want to be close to the daycare and not have to take my child on the train, etc.

I think sometimes people think in planning commutes that it'll be fine and not be a big deal, but it can get really daunting and cant add hours onto your day. I dont even live that far away from my job (live in southie work in cambridge) and sometimes I want to find a different job because my commute can be horrendous.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 08-07-2015 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: re:

Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
You're in a tough spot. I would focus on the Middleboro line. Even then at least one of you will have a commute of over an hour each way. Newport is not easy to get to quickly from much of MA.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 PM

23,598 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Seekonk is probably the easiest commute to Newport (by just a little), and from there you can catch the train from South Attleboro. I'd give the edge to the Providence line for speed and frequency.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Seekonk is probably the easiest commute to Newport (by just a little), and from there you can catch the train from South Attleboro. I'd give the edge to the Providence line for speed and frequency.
Under ideal circumstances the ride to South Station from South Attleboro is 1 hour from the time you board the train. Driving from Seekonk to the station, parking etc will add at least 20 minutes.

Also, the Providence line is very prone to delays and they are more frequent the further down the line you go. Whatever schedule is posted on mbta.com should only be used as a rough guideline. In real life each ride is at least 10 minutes longer than they advertise.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM

23,598 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Under ideal circumstances the ride to South Station from South Attleboro is 1 hour from the time you board the train. Driving from Seekonk to the station, parking etc will add at least 20 minutes.

Also, the Providence line is very prone to delays and they are more frequent the further down the line you go. Whatever schedule is posted on mbta.com should only be used as a rough guideline. In real life each ride is at least 10 minutes longer than they advertise.
I thought it was more like 55 minutes. I thought the Middleboro Line was slow with lots of issues as well?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I thought it was more like 55 minutes. I thought the Middleboro Line was slow with lots of issues as well?
It depends on the individual train you are riding on. Some Providence line trains skip stops depending on the time of day. One that is making every single stop could take almost 1 hour 20 minutes from South Attleboro to South Station, assuming no delays.

Yes, the Middleboro line is slow but on the Providence line commuter rail trains are frequently delayed to give priority to Amtrak trains, which isn't an issue on the Middleboro line.

The Middleboro line is also directly on Route 24 which gives a somewhat less congested ride to Newport, although the last few miles are on a local road with traffic lights.

Again, this isn't an ideal situation to be facing because Newport is in a difficult part of RI to reach.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:06 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,498 times
Which job is more critical to your household? If you husband I would lean to being closer there if yours I would lean to closer to boston. That is a difficult space difference.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:26 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
It's quicker to get to Newport from Mansfield than Middleboro. I've done both drives 100's of times over the years.

So Mansfield would be my first choice. Easier parking at the train station too.

Taunton..............yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts