Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 20,935 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to Boston for my husband's job. We are not at all familiar with the Boston suburbs. Can anyone recommend suburbs which are within an hour door-to-door commute by train into Boston (near Downtown Crossing)? We have two little kids, and things that are important to us include a good school district, cute main street area, nice parks, good sense of community, preferably within half hour drive to a beach. Tia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 PM

18,704 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Am I the first to ask about budget? OK. Budget, please.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:48 PM

our max is 900K, but preferably lower.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:08 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
You've got a tough list of requests to fulfill. The first town that comes to mind is Hingham. Hingham should be a reasonable commute via public transportation (and taking the commuter boat in the summer is AWESOME). However, commuting by car is a nightmare from there. You either have to leave unreasonably early or be willing to endure a lot of traffic. It gets even worse during the summer months because Rt 3 (the main artery in the Hingham area) is a commonly used road to get to Cape Cod. So traffic is even heavier in the summer months.

With a $900K budget, you could find yourself in some of Boston's most sought after suburbs like Newton, Needham, Natick, Wellesley, etc, etc, etc. However, they're more like an hour drive to the beach.

$900K is a big budget in many parts of the country. However, in some of the towns I've just listed it's either an average or below average budget. So that makes me ask . . . what kind of house are you expecting/looking for?

Old 08-16-2015, 04:03 AM

Thank! We will definitely look into hingham. For our budget we would like to find a 4 bedroom, which is fairly updated. Out of all our requirements, proximity to the beach is lowest.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Girl View Post
Thank! We will definitely look into hingham. For our budget we would like to find a 4 bedroom, which is fairly updated. Out of all our requirements, proximity to the beach is lowest.
If that's the case then I would start with the other towns I mentioned first.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 PM

550 posts, read 680,070 times
How about Andover?? You can take the commuter rail in to Boston. Your budget of $900K will definitely get you a new construction or very updated home

Old 08-16-2015, 06:59 PM

35 posts, read 71,849 times
I live in Hopedale and it sounds like what you are describing with the exception that our most expensive homes are well below your budget and the ocean is about 1hr away in any direction though we do have beach front lakes and state parks within about 20mins or so. To get an idea of housing, go to and check out Hopedale, Hopkinton, Holliston, Natick, Medfield, Westwood, Dover for a start. Westwood and Dover are closer to your max budget. Hopedale is a very small, family oriented town of just over 6,000 people. We moved here 7yrs ago as a "temporary" stay and have raised 3 more children here. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-17-2015 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: realtor site

Old 08-16-2015, 07:50 PM

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if any of these towns would potentially have houses within our budget within walking distance to the train?

Old 08-16-2015, 08:46 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Girl View Post
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if any of these towns would potentially have houses within our budget within walking distance to the train?
Hingham would meet all of your requirements, but I suspect the number of houses that are in your budget, have four bedrooms, and are within walking distance of the commuter rail is small enough that there may be very few options. It's probably worth checking out, though.

You're more likely to find a house within walking distance to the commuter rail in Needham. That would meet all of your requirements except the beach. I don't know if you'll get four bedrooms and updated in your budget. If Needham is too pricey Natick might work. Newton and Wellesley would work, with a larger budget or a more modest house. Newton has the added benefit of Green Line access.

Westwood is cheaper than Needham and has everything but the beach and the cute Main Street (although nearby Norwood has a nice town center). The part of town within walking distance of the train station is called Islington and could work. Your budget might even be a bit high for the part of town that's a short walk to the station. Dover/Medfield/Holliston/Hopkinton don't have commuter rail stations. I don't think Sharon or Canton have been mentioned yet. Those are worth considering.

Walking to the commuter rail is a more specific requirement than just a town. When we were first looking we wanted to walk to the commuter rail and so ended up looking in a bunch of different towns. We ended up in Islington in large part because that's where we found a house we liked within walking distance of the commuter rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts