Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:33 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Pawtucket is all locals who have never moved out of the area.
Completely untrue! I'm a local who did move away, then moved back . But in all seriousness, there a lot of young people from elsewhere settling in Pawtucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 10:51 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Quoted again to reiterate the point. Providence is, if located in the right neighborhood, an excellent city and a relative bargain. Attleboro is, in contrast, a cultural wasteland. Whatever you do, avoid Taunton ... which is, in my opinion, one of the most depressing places in the entire state.
That's going overboard a bit. Attleboro is no more a cultural wasteland than most of the rest of MA outside the main cities. Many from all backgrounds reside there and do just fine. I see no problem resting your head there (or in the surrounding towns) at night if you also work there, while relying on Providence for your weekend entertainment. That being said, finding the "right neighborhood" in Providence can pose a challenge.

Taunton I would agree though, it's like a black hole of despair.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
But in all seriousness, there a lot of young people from elsewhere settling in Pawtucket.
Most of whom aren't exactly enhancing the quality of life there...

Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 PM

Since I actually live in Pawtucket and not three states away, I beg to differ.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Attleboro is no more a cultural wasteland than most of the rest of MA outside the main cities.
Attleboro is even less of a wasteland than other towns, with its own art museum, two commuter rail stations, LaSalette, and a couple of things happening downtown, but I think studio apartments are going to be in seedier areas.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Attleboro is even less of a wasteland than other towns, with its own art museum, two commuter rail stations, LaSalette, and a couple of things happening downtown,
And a zoo, Industrial Museum, ....

Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Attleboro is even less of a wasteland than other towns, with its own art museum, two commuter rail stations, LaSalette, and a couple of things happening downtown, but I think studio apartments are going to be in seedier areas.
Posters are failing to see where I wrote "in contrast". One can certainly do worse than Attletboro, but if we were to craft a list of compelling NE urban areas for a 20-something professional, Attleboro does not necessarily come to mind (despite the massive revitalization, which IMO, is impressive). Comparatively, Providence would likely be vying for a 3 spot behind Boston/Cambridge with worthy notables such as Portland. Ivy league posh with some real grit and "spirit" - it's one of NE's better cities, hampered only buy RIs consistently dismal economy.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Posters are failing to see where I wrote "in contrast". One can certainly do worse than Attletboro, but if we were to craft a list of compelling NE urban areas for a 20-something professional, Attleboro does not necessarily come to mind (despite the massive revitalization, which IMO, is impressive). Comparatively, Providence would likely be vying for a 3 spot behind Boston/Cambridge with worthy notables such as Portland. Ivy league posh with some real grit and "spirit" - it's one of NE's better cities, hampered only buy RIs consistently dismal economy.

This. Just this.
People in their 20s (and generally 30s) aren't just going out on weekends, and when they do, they're drinking so it isn't ideal to have to drive to the social events. Just live in freaking Providence. It's a great little city.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:18 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Neat drone video over Providence:

Best if viewed in HD fullscreen mode.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,969 times
Thanks a lot folks ! I really appreciate all the replies. Right now I am inclined towards Providence. Does anyone have experience with ' University Heights apartments' . It is located very close to Brown University. Is that area generally safe ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts