Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
To be fair you are the one who was surprised at the way things were done differently than what you were used to. You are the one who suggested that it was backwards, with your snarky comment about not believing this was still done in 2015 and calling it ridiculous. Why wouldn't people get defensive about that? Instead of 'getting' that you go on and insult them further, implying they must all be rubes who have no clue that things might be done differently elsewhere. I hope you are more discreet in rl than you are in this thread.
It IS backwards. Sorry. It's not that I lived in one place my whole life and was shocked to find that anyplace did anything different. I've lived in many places and have not seen this anywhere else. So, while it may not be strictly limited to MA, it is not the norm.

Anyone who gets *this* upset over someone's opinion on trash removal obviously has some kind of deeper issue. It may be that they know nothing else and find other ideas scary. Of course, it might also be something else. There have been plenty of posters in this thread who are not threatened by the idea of trash removal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:16 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
It's not about trash at this point, it's about the fact that you think the people not agreeing with you are scared of different ideas and ways of doing things. Do you realize how condescending that is? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black when you are the one who was shocked to hear about something new to you. You may not think it's the norm, but it is not that unusual, you only think so because you haven't experienced it. Do you even see the irony?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
I was shocked to find out my town charged a separate "trash fee."

This is the kind of thing that should be baked into property taxes.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
This thread has turned into trash.

Nobody cares about what you scored at the put-n-take or how many neighbors you waved to at the dump. It sounds like many people are probably already excited to load up the suburban next Saturday, maybe the smell got to their heads?

I think municipal trash pickup is a huge time saver, and I would pay a service if I didn't have it because it just isn't worth my time. If you get some strange enjoyment out of tossing your detritus then I can understand the overreaction.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not about trash at this point, it's about the fact that you think the people not agreeing with you are scared of different ideas and ways of doing things. Do you realize how condescending that is? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black when you are the one who was shocked to hear about something new to you. You may not think it's the norm, but it is not that unusual, you only think so because you haven't experienced it. Do you even see the irony?
I wasn't even the one who originally pointed out that that was a likely underlying reason for the extreme levels of upset. And it is not the typical method of trash disposal, no matter how much you wish it were. It's not about them agreeing with me as to whether they like the dump. I don't care if they like it or not. I'm just glad to learn that in many places private removal is an option for a reasonable fee, and that it is not likely that I'll be forced to haul my garbage myself and add to our weekly errands. If you like it, go for it -- do it every day if it makes you happy.

If I had some long-standing strange practice that I never wanted to change, and someone asked me about it, I'd say, "Yeah, that's the way we do it, and you might think it's strange, but we love it!!" I wouldn't get all up in arms over it.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'll be forced to haul my garbage myself and add to our weekly errands.

You wouldn't be forced to do this anyway. Most people I know that have to transport their own garbage have learned to greatly reduce the amount of garbage they generate, so weekly garbage disposal isn't necessary. It's one of the good benefits of such a system.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You wouldn't be forced to do this anyway. Most people I know that have to transport their own garbage have learned to greatly reduce the amount of garbage they generate, so weekly garbage disposal isn't necessary. It's one of the good benefits of such a system.
I can certainly see that that is a positive result of this system, and I know it was noted also by another poster earlier in the thread. I was under the impression that recyclables were handled in largely the same way, though.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
You are funny. People aren't upset over the trash, but over the insults. Like this comment- "And it is not the typical method of trash disposal, no matter how much you wish it were." Seriously? I don't care about how people deal with their trash. That comment is absurd. It's strange to me that you are so very insistant that it's not normal simply because you aren't familiar with it, yet you call out others when it's obvious you are the one with limited exposure to different ways of doing things. I've lived in MI, IN, TN, FL, AL, and TX and many small towns and rural areras have private trash pick up and/ or town dumps, it's not the bizarre thing you seem to think it is.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:11 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I wasn't even the one who originally pointed out that that was a likely underlying reason for the extreme levels of upset. And it is not the typical method of trash disposal, no matter how much you wish it were. It's not about them agreeing with me as to whether they like the dump. I don't care if they like it or not. I'm just glad to learn that in many places private removal is an option for a reasonable fee, and that it is not likely that I'll be forced to haul my garbage myself and add to our weekly errands. If you like it, go for it -- do it every day if it makes you happy.

If I had some long-standing strange practice that I never wanted to change, and someone asked me about it, I'd say, "Yeah, that's the way we do it, and you might think it's strange, but we love it!!" I wouldn't get all up in arms over it.
At this point, I have to wonder if you're being intentionally obtuse. As pointed out numerous times, your posts are offensive because of the indignant tone -- not because you're challenging some cherished practice. Twice now, you've tried to dismiss the backlash by suggesting that everyone calling you out must love trash.

Surely, you can appreciate the tonal distinction between: (1) simply pointing out that self-hauling is "not the typical method of trash disposal"; and (2) "seriously?"; "it doesn't seem like this is possible"; "do I really have to put my trash in a car and drive it somewhere?"; "I'm just shocked to find something so ridiculous still exists in 2015; and "I have to laugh and shake my head at how much love people seem to have for hauling garbage to the dump."

The first option is a perfectly respectful and reasonable way of pointing out that a local practice is different and soliciting feedback. The second option makes you sound like a snob.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:50 PM

I don't happen to agree that "seriously?" and "It doesn't seem like this is possible" are offensive. I would not be offended if someone said that to me about something I did. I would say, "yeah, seriously." Then a few folks went on about how I must think garbage collectors are beneath me or that I must think myself too good to touch garbage, which are simply asinine allegations, and in no way stem from surprise that I have to haul my garbage to the dump. Having been thusly insulted and accused, I didn't feel it necessary to wear kid gloves to insure against further offense, as it would have been hopeless.

I don't really care whether you think I'm a snob. When I originally posted, I wanted to find out whether my understanding of what I had read was correct. My husband actually wanted to know even more than I, because he did not think it could be. It has become abundantly clear that our original interpretation was, in fact, correct.

Frankly, I would find the response of "Really? You know, hauling trash to the dump is not the typical method of trash disposal" to be much more snobby than what I wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts