Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick a town for us...
Hopkinton 6 33.33%
Southborough 4 22.22%
Other 2 11.11%
Heck no..stay in Boston 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM

22 posts, read 22,933 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm in a suburban pickle!
Some background I've been living in boston / ashmont line all my life. Went to Latin, went to college in Boston. Grandpa lives down the street and watches our toddler, and family lives in seaport and Quincy.
Right now we own SFH and take train to work.

However, life's throwing us a curveball.

My husband's work has transferred from downtown Boston to Southborough end of year and I may be heading to new job in Marlborough. I have been working in Cambridge.

Do we stay and commute or move to the 'Burbs?

Our wish list :
Newer home priced low 400k max
At least 2-3 BR
Good schools since we have a toddler
Close to highways or 30 mins or so to Boston since we will miss Grandpa and spend weekends with him
Not wanting like an acre of land, manageable yard for kids to play
Near parks or lake or nice playground

So far, we have looked into Hopkinton since it would be closer to Marlborough. But I'm reading Southborough has less taxes..
Are there better parts of Hopkinton if we can't find a newer home? How does the elementary school system work is it by lottery ?

Thanks.. We've been going back and forth on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 AM

649 posts, read 817,693 times
How long do you plan to be in these jobs? Most people these days change jobs every three years. What is the liklihood of both of your next jobs being in the far suburbs? I would stay in the city, you already have what everybody else wants. Maybe look for new jobs. See how the reverse commute goes when the jobs start, enjoy watching everyone else stuck in traffic going the other way- now imagine youself doing that in three or four years when you change jobs. Then decide.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:49 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Linky

I would commute to the new jobs for at least 6 months before I made a decision to relocate.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
I voted to leave the city. Boston is great when young and child-free but as you get older, the suburbs may be more appealing for some to raise a family.

I've been in Boston all my life and couldn't wait to get out.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:15 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,335,113 times
Ask yourself how much you take advantage of the city, and how much will you when you have kids? Do you drive everywhere today or do you walk/bike/T? Did you value the diversity you experienced in school?

I live in Somerville with kids, I think the kids are better off here than in the suburbs for many reasons, it would kill me to move further out because we have created a life that rarely requires driving and we walk or bike to almost everything. We live in a very close and friendly neighborhood that I think is harder to find in the bedroom communities of the suburbs.

SalamanderSmile made a good point, if you switch jobs again you are more likely to be in or closer to the city. Most people I know that moved to the suburbs have regrets, but they think they had to do it for the kids, which I couldn't disagree with more. That said, some people in my neighborhood do not take advantage of anything that the city has to offer and would probably be fine in the suburbs.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,842,491 times
My sense is this is a tradeoff between family connection and support and economic needs. It's a tough one because relocating for the convenience of jobs leaves the OP much more isolated from family but staying in the family 'nest' makes the work trips untenable.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:20 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
I voted for Hopkinton. Southborough is very spread out. I think this would be a bigger adjustment than Hopkinton, coming from the city. Hopkinton has the pretty State Forest and town center. Also if I were you I would consider splitting the distance between family and jobs and also look in Holliston, Walpole, Dedham, Natick.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:48 AM

22 posts, read 22,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
How long do you plan to be in these jobs? Most people these days change jobs every three years. What is the liklihood of both of your next jobs being in the far suburbs? I would stay in the city, you already have what everybody else wants. Maybe look for new jobs. See how the reverse commute goes when the jobs start, enjoy watching everyone else stuck in traffic going the other way- now imagine yourself doing that in three or four years when you change jobs. Then decide.
You ask great questions! The industry that I work in is pretty flexible so I could move around if I wanted to, but I definitely prefer to plant my roots somewhere for quite a while. Unfortunately I've switched jobs every 3-4 years b/c management was a bit unbearable (I know.. you see this everywhere). But, I am hopeful this new company's culture is better; the folks seems more reasonable/ have it together - it's a smaller department and I think I can move up or have that possibility.

But you are right - I will try to commute first. :-) Thanks for your input!!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,820,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I voted for Hopkinton. Southborough is very spread out. I think this would be a bigger adjustment than Hopkinton, coming from the city. Hopkinton has the pretty State Forest and town center. Also if I were you I would consider splitting the distance between family and jobs and also look in Holliston, Walpole, Dedham, Natick.
Huh? Hopkinton has twice the land area that Southborough does, with fewer major routes running through town. I get annoyed every time I have to drive through Hopkinton to drop off my kids at camp because it takes forever to get from one side of town to the other. Southborough has a Pike exit and a train station, so it feels more connected to the Boston area. Hopkinton is only convenient to 495, so if feels disconnected from everything. I think both are way out of the OP's price range anyways.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:59 PM

875 posts, read 665,492 times
Like others have said, I would absolutely commute first to see if you like the job/company, has real prospects etc before I would jump ship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts