Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
OP is wise to look closer to more sought after areas/schools if simply for resale value. Hopkinton or Medfield will stay more desirable e.g. than Mattapoiset for foreseeable future. If OP is looking for big new build, new big homes in remote locations or so-so school districts depreciate faster, or can lose plenty of value with any RE downturn.
Here is a recent Boston Globe graphic showing households with $1 million AGI per thousand. Marion is a very affluent town. Mattapoisett also has their share of people earning $1 million per year.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ALP/story.html

Both Marion and Mattapoisett have a median household income of about $80K. That's not trailer trash income. If you telecommute and can live anywhere you want within reason, why wouldn't you pick walking distance from salt water with your boat floating in the harbor instead of the dreary suburbs like Hopkinton or Medfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:59 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you telecommute and can live anywhere you want within reason, why wouldn't you pick walking distance from salt water with your boat floating in the harbor instead of the dreary suburbs like Hopkinton or Medfield.
They aren't dreary.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 PM

58 posts, read 74,751 times
I grew up and spent over 45 years in the North Attleboro and Franklin area. Franklin and North Attleboro both have highly rated schools and are family centric suburban towns. The King Philip area including Plainville, Wrentham and Norfolk are similar. It is not a bad trip non rush hour into Boston.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:34 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Mattapoiset is a desirable location for affluent retirees and people looking for a summer home, always has been. Due to that property values will hold steady.
It's a second home market primarily. I'm sure you would agree with that. When the stuff hits the fan in the economy which are you going to stop paying for/upkeeping first your 2nd home or your primary residence? Historically, 2nd home markets suffer far greater in a downturn than primary home markets.

Quote:
Here is a recent Boston Globe graphic showing households with $1 million AGI per thousand. Marion is a very affluent town. Mattapoisett also has their share of people earning $1 million per year.

Both Marion and Mattapoisett have a median household income of about $80K. That's not trailer trash income. If you telecommute and can live anywhere you want within reason, why wouldn't you pick walking distance from salt water with your boat floating in the harbor instead of the dreary suburbs like Hopkinton or Medfield.
I guess it depends on what kind of person you are. Personally, I have no great love for the ocean but I know there are people out there who do. In my current stage of life, the 'burbs are ideally suited. Later in life, I might want something different.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Quote:

You are not mistaken about beauty of this area, nor that OP budget will get them more house for their money, but you sound as you do not have any kids. Boat floating in harbor is last of their issues, and is of low priority now (those refinements can come later on when they are settled for good).

As a parent Op is responsible to find the best town/schools/family oriented atmosphere so their kids can make as easy transition as possible. This is a big move. Not a summer vacation. Middle schooler hints at puberty (soon or already), so clearly not a good time to goof on schools and town.

GeoffD, you mean well, but just by virtue of having kids, OP will not have much time left for any boats floating in the harbor, with work schedule, kid's school/after-school activities, homework, social/school events, shopping etc.. It just doesn't work that way. Single people or couple with no kids, sure, their weekends or time after work are wide open. But not your modern day family. Our weekends get stuffed with all sorts of things that need to be done. It is not complaint, just fact.

Op will need to figure out wants vs. needs and budget. Maybe NH could be better option long term.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:50 AM

187 posts, read 217,368 times
Quote:

You keep putting down some nice suburban towns, I wonder why. Lots of wealthy families live in those towns and like it. Good schools, highway access, etc.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 AM

6 posts, read 5,968 times
Easton is a great community with great schools and lots of activities to do...Easy access to the major highways as well

Old 11-13-2015, 08:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody99 View Post
You keep putting down some nice suburban towns, I wonder why. Lots of wealthy families live in those towns and like it. Good schools, highway access, etc.
Because they're boring, mostly. I've lived in plenty of "nice suburban towns" around metro-Boston. I've owned in Andover, Northboro, and Winchester. The reason I lived there is because it was close to where I worked. I slept there midweek and went more interesting places on weekends.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Because they're boring, mostly. I've lived in plenty of "nice suburban towns" around metro-Boston. I've owned in Andover, Northboro, and Winchester. The reason I lived there is because it was close to where I worked. I slept there midweek and went more interesting places on weekends.
You've piqued my curiosity . . . what is it that you're doing at these "more interesting places" on the weekends that cannot be done in the 'burbs?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:18 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Suburban life is certainly not for everyone and many find it boring. That's why they live in the city. It depends on the personality type. One of my friends is a very liberal hippy type and she wouldnt be caught dead living in a place like Weston or Hingham. She's all about Somerville. And yes she's married with 2 kids.

You cant fault someone for finding the suburbs boring...just like they cant fault someone who enjoys the suburbs.

'Lots of wealthy families live in those towns and like it'

So because wealthy people live in these places it's assumed everyone should like them? A lot of these places are considered very 'stepford' and are the epitome of soccer mom, executive dad and not everyone has or wants this kind of life.

I would personally rather live in a quiet suburb than in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts