Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

The mileage is as the crow flies. No crow with a cell in its cranium could fly from Salem to Hingham. There just isn't a good way. Being in at 7a might be a bit of a help, but the traffic reports show major traffic as early as 6a and sometimes earlier. Sorry I can't be more positive, but the drive just isn't anything to do without losing your mind, plus the wear and tear on the car.
Here's an idea- how about living in Boston on public transport, and both of you could take the train to work?
You could certainly try living up that way and see how the commute works for you. I think you'll find it unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
What about renting a room during the week? Many people rent rooms in their homes. You'd be ideal. You can be back in Salem on the weekends.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
What about renting a room during the week? Many people rent rooms in their homes. You'd be ideal. You can be back in Salem on the weekends.
= fast track to no more girlfriend!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Smile Move to Quincy

I would consider moving to Quincy, its similar to Salem and easy access into the city. It would be right next to Hingham and an easy commute via back roads...

The only way you might be able to to the commute from Salem would be to take the T into North Station....
Subway to South Station and take the new Greenbush line to Hingham. But it would take awhile.

I seriously suggest moving south shore to Quincy....or Hingham or Weymouth.

its not a bad area easy access to Boston
via T/commuter rail, near the south shore beaches, shorter drive to the Cape.
great recreation - Wompatuck State Park, Nantasket Beach/Hull, Turkey Hill Reservation, World's End, etc.
harbor islands..

There's also a commuter boat express into boston from Hingham as well.
Apartments are reasonable in Quincy Center and even along Quincy Shore Drive/Sea St. (Hough's Neck) Some beautiful areas in Quincy!
Its a true ocean town!

-Jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
= fast track to no more girlfriend!
Absence makes the heart grow fonder?
Seriously, though, how much will GF really see him after a full work day and 5 hours of commuting? He'll walk through the door and crash. My ex did it for five years. Believe me, not conducive to a good relationship. At least there are no kids involved, though.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,193 times
Sigh.....
Scratch that idea
It's looking more & more like I need to abandon the boat industry. There is just nothing out there but entrenched management with bloated salaries, and many businesses looking to pay educated employees peanuts.
I'm just at a loss of where to go. I'm not finding anything worthwhile and carreer-oriented two months of this junk. (sorry for the whining )

Old 02-09-2008, 11:08 PM

I'd suggest the Cape but THAT commute would be a flippin' nightmare! Lots of boat builders, though. How can you transfer your skills to another profession?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 48,141 times
You will be heading into Boston traffic, then you will have to travel from Boston to Quincy to Hingham. Unless the job is a super paying job, I would forget it. It can be done, tho'. I did it from Hingham to East Boston for a couple of years. Just the smell of the fumes in the 2 tunnels ( and don't forget the bridge openings on 3A in Quincy) is enough to bring back the memories of the horrific traffic, and that was 30 years ago. Maybe your GF can get something closer to your work so that you can move closer, or you should keep looking (or get a new GF)

Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 PM

85 posts, read 333,016 times
As others have indicated, it would be a nightmare! I used to commute in the opposite direction, from the South Shore to the North Shore, and hated it. The only thing that made it somewhat tolerable was that I adjusted my hours and worked 10:00 AM - 6:30 PM. The only way I would consider it again would be to have a flexible schedule (being able to work at home at least a couple of days a week, or working a compressed schedule that allowed you to have long weekends). It sounds like you have some flexibility with regard to hours, but that's probably it.

Also, the current price of gas would eat up a good chunk of your salary.

Last edited by stephen n; 05-18-2008 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I agree that distance (miles) in the Boston area are deceptive. I commute to work 2 days/week (work from home the other 3). It's 35 miles each way--from near Westwood down to Hanover. For the most part, it's a reverse commute so it's not too bad. But I still avoid the height of rush hour. I just can't imagine dealing with Salem to Hingham. Every road would be a nightmare.

I know of a family who has moved twice now because the dad got a new job and the commute just didnt' work. And they moved their 3 kids, too. Medway to Andover and now Andover to Hingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts