Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:32 PM

417 posts, read 734,915 times

Advertisements

Link: http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/?id=6442455610

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 PM

I am on the Prov/Stoughton line and its a terrible change for us. For some reason they are cutting the stops at Ruggles so you can no longer commute Ruggles-Sharon during Rush Hr. The earliest one gets to Sharon at 7:05PM! The only other one gets to Sharon at 11:05AM. There used to be tons that would stop at Ruggles and Sharon. This is a huge issue for our commute- we do a whole complex pick up and drop off thing between my husband and I. I am at South Sta and he's in Longwood so he goes to Ruggles.

I hope they add a few Ruggles stops to this proposed list or I don't even know what we would have to do. It was hard enough juggling a daycare center and Kindergarten pick up in 2 different places. We thought we had it down!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
I am on the Prov/Stoughton line and its a terrible change for us. For some reason they are cutting the stops at Ruggles so you can no longer commute Ruggles-Sharon during Rush Hr. The earliest one gets to Sharon at 7:05PM! The only other one gets to Sharon at 11:05AM. There used to be tons that would stop at Ruggles and Sharon. This is a huge issue for our commute- we do a whole complex pick up and drop off thing between my husband and I. I am at South Sta and he's in Longwood so he goes to Ruggles.

I hope they add a few Ruggles stops to this proposed list or I don't even know what we would have to do. It was hard enough juggling a daycare center and Kindergarten pick up in 2 different places. We thought we had it down!
The Ruggles stop is the most annoying part of the ride for me. IMO trains should either stop at Back Bay or Ruggles, not both.

For me the new schedule is fine in the morning but the evening schedule is devastating for me. If my boss won't let me leave before 5 pm I won't get home until 7 every day.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:10 PM

161 posts, read 231,289 times
It's a win for the Fitchburg/Acton line. Finally, all the track work construction pays off for us.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,818,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The Ruggles stop is the most annoying part of the ride for me. IMO trains should either stop at Back Bay or Ruggles, not both.

For me the new schedule is fine in the morning but the evening schedule is devastating for me. If my boss won't let me leave before 5 pm I won't get home until 7 every day.
I haven't looked at the new schedules yet, but why either Ruggles or Back Bay? That's like the Framingham line stopping at either Yawkey or Back Bay. Yawkey is annoying for people who commute to South Station, but I can see how it's an important stop just like Ruggles.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I haven't looked at the new schedules yet, but why either Ruggles or Back Bay? That's like the Framingham line stopping at either Yawkey or Back Bay. Yawkey is annoying for people who commute to South Station, but I can see how it's an important stop just like Ruggles.
It takes a ridiculous amount of time to travel from South Station to Ruggles (literally 15 minutes some days). It's too many stops too close together and both Back Bay and Ruggles are on the Orange Line. I feel the same way about Yawkey. I'm not saying no trains should stop there but during rush hour some trains should skip either Ruggles or Back Bay to save time. As it is most Providence line trains don't stop at Ruggles in the morning but every single one stops there in the evening.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
It takes a ridiculous amount of time to travel from South Station to Ruggles (literally 15 minutes some days). It's too many stops too close together and both Back Bay and Ruggles are on the Orange Line. I feel the same way about Yawkey. I'm not saying no trains should stop there but during rush hour some trains should skip either Ruggles or Back Bay to save time. As it is most Providence line trains don't stop at Ruggles in the morning but every single one stops there in the evening.
I didn't realize Ruggles is also on the orange line. Yawkey and Back Bay aren't on the same T line (you'd have to walk over to Kenmore to catch the green line). In that case, get rid of it!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:53 PM

I think a big chunk of Ruggles commuters aren't really commuting directly from Ruggles but from the Longwood Hospitals, which is the green line. So they currently either walk or take a bus to Ruggles.

The time saved not stopping at Ruggles according to the schedules is a whopping 1 minute for the rest of the commuters. 27 mins to get to Sharon now with the stop and 26 with the new schedule and no stop.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
I think a big chunk of Ruggles commuters aren't really commuting directly from Ruggles but from the Longwood Hospitals, which is the green line. So they currently either walk or take a bus to Ruggles.

The time saved not stopping at Ruggles according to the schedules is a whopping 1 minute for the rest of the commuters. 27 mins to get to Sharon now with the stop and 26 with the new schedule and no stop.
Ruggles adds at least 5 minutes to every train that stops there. If they claim they're only saving 1 minute by skipping Ruggles I don't know what they're doing wrong.

Last edited by Dm84; 01-21-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I just checked out the new schedules and I don't see any major changes on the Stoughton commute. Same # of rush hour trains, all within 15 min of the old schedule.

On the Worcester line the changes kinda suck. They are taking away one of my morning rush hour trains - the one that always has 3 people sitting in the 3 seaters. I wonder how crowded the remaining trains will get. It looks like they are increasing the # of express trains to Framingham and beyond which is great for the super-commuters. I'd start taking the train from Framingham instead of Wellesley if the pass didn't cost an extra $33/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts