Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:37 AM

434 posts, read 512,456 times

Advertisements

Really? I don't think it's weird at all. I've lived in the greater Boston area my whole life and I came here a couple of years ago when we were deciding on our "forever" town to ask advice on some metrowest towns I was less familiar with. A website can't capture all of the stuff that's been brought up in that (insane) Hingham thread, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:56 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,669,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There's a small 3 bedroom house in Franklin for 144, 900. Needs interior cosmetic work, but it has a decent yard.

210 Plain Street, Franklin, MA For Sale | Trulia.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It's a short sale which comes with plenty of complications, not to mention all the renovations needed.

Really $200k isn't enough to buy a house in this region and even a condo is iffy once you factor in condo fees. OP would be best off renting and trying to save up for a bigger house.

That house doesn't look too bad. It wouldn't hurt to at least look at it.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:57 AM

OP might try looking in Ayer. The downtown has started to come up a bit with some new businesses.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:39 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,709,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
These are the disclosures for the house on MLS:

"Propane tank for gas range. Electric heat in FR and one of the downstairs baths. No heat in upstairs bedrooms. Water and heat are off. Pipes froze during winter. Status of furnace/plumbing unknown. Wetlands by the river. Buyers due diligence. Sold "as is". *Short sale, subject to 3rd party approval."

The house needs tons of work and there's no guarantee at all that the current owner's lender will accept an offer put on it. There's also a good chance that lenders will refuse to issue a mortgage for a house in such bad shape. This house has been the market for almost 2 years and it's easy to see why.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM

10,056 posts, read 15,728,707 times
Yes, well of course it would have to be inspected and like I said, it needs work. It's in a very safe area of Franklin and that's a good school district.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:45 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,332,135 times
I could care less if someone finds a house for 200k. I know where they are as well, could get one if I wanted but most are pretty awful imo.

Show me a nice house in a nice town near boston for 200k and I might feel jealous.

The desirable areas aren't going to see a price drop because there is no shortage of people wanting to live there

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 01-23-2016 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 01-23-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holycoke View Post
Many people don't want you to find a house for 200k within the boston metro in a decent neighborhood, because they paid so much for theirs. But, it can be done, absolutely. Not in the "desirable areas" but I wouldn't want to live in many of these boring areas, just look at who does. The desirable areas are also due for a huge price drop, and people are nervous. They don't want deals to be had, don't be discouraged mrs fluffymcbuttcakes.
There are probably some people who feel that way but I'm not really one of them (my house cost less than $350k). Realistically if someone has a budget of $200k, any house they find even remotely in that price range is going to need a lot of work or has some other major issue that's causing it to be priced that low. OP wants a house in a safe neighborhood- that's going to cost more than $200k, and in many cases, more than $300k.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Many people don't want you to find a house for 200k within the boston metro in a decent neighborhood, because they paid so much for theirs. But, it can be done, absolutely. Not in the "desirable areas" but I wouldn't want to live in many of these boring areas, just look at who does. The desirable areas are also due for a huge price drop, and people are nervous. They don't want deals to be had, don't be discouraged mrs fluffymcbuttcakes.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
These are the disclosures for the house on MLS:

"Propane tank for gas range. Electric heat in FR and one of the downstairs baths. No heat in upstairs bedrooms. Water and heat are off. Pipes froze during winter. Status of furnace/plumbing unknown. Wetlands by the river. Buyers due diligence. Sold "as is". *Short sale, subject to 3rd party approval."

The house needs tons of work and there's no guarantee at all that the current owner's lender will accept an offer put on it. There's also a good chance that lenders will refuse to issue a mortgage for a house in such bad shape. This house has been the market for almost 2 years and it's easy to see why.

For all we know, perhaps OP is very handy with contractor type projects or has friends and relatives that are.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
For all we know, perhaps OP is very handy with contractor type projects or has friends and relatives that are.
Yes, however most people don't fall into that category.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Says who? I know people who have found houses UNDER 200k in better places than you live. What they say is true, there's a sucker born every minute. Many people overpay for houses. You have to know how to negotiate. Sticker price is for suckers. Many houses sell for far above supply and demand market values. It's hard to tell for the unseasoned negotiator with a lack of intuition who is coming in blind as to the motivations of the seller, many people have been ripped off in the past and recently.
Show us a list of move in ready 3 BR houses for sale that aren't in need of serious work for less than $200k in a safe part of Massachusetts that is commutable to Boston.

What you are describing is an extremely rare find, and very much the exception rather than the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts