Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 01:13 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbqtim View Post
Kids simply get more here with more programs, more community building activities, etc. because it's better funded.
Come on now. Arlington and Belmont have below average funding per pupil at around 13k (bottom third in state), they ride on demographics. Somerville spends 18k per pupil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Come on now. Arlington and Belmont have below average funding per pupil at around 13k (bottom third in state), they ride on demographics. Somerville spends 18k per pupil.

And Boston spends more than Somerville. That doesn't tell you what they get, that just tells you how much is spent. Different thing entirely.

I mean, I grew up in Belmont and our bands, sports, arts, etc were indeed "better funded" than many districts that spend much more per pupil. Where that money goes makes a huge deal.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And Boston spends more than Somerville. That doesn't tell you what they get, that just tells you how much is spent. Different thing entirely.
Perhaps, but I was specifically rebutting the "better funded" point.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but I was specifically rebutting the "better funded" point.
Funding also comes in the form of private donations, booster clubs and fundraisers. So that is hard to determine. My old schools music department would blow Somerville's out of the water. That's of course if you are willing to believe it.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:35 PM

42 posts, read 39,792 times
Quote:
That is interesting insight, thanks. I have heard it before but usually from families that have been out of the system for at least 4 years. It has changes alot especially in several of the schools. My kids are thriving and very happy. In our class alone two of the parents are teachers at elite private schools and they are very happy too. Two new teachers have masters degrees from Ivy league schools. This year the 3rd graders at one of the Somerville elementary schools had the highest percentage of kids scoring advanced across English and Math WITHOUT controlling for income (98%). That is the highest percentage among all 300+schools in the state. Nothing even remotely close to that was happening just a few years ago.

We also know families that have left in the last 2 years for "better" schools including Arlington and actually missed the schools here, so I guess it depends on personal experience and what you value. Some of them are happy they left but to be honest they are usually the neurotic types that say they value diversity but then freak out at the slightest minor incident in the classroom. One family went to Arlington, had a similar experience, now goes private. They are better off elsewhere.

The improvement isn't a question of when, its real and measurable with score data and reflected by increasing enrollments. That said, the only schools I would really want my kids in is the one they are in, so you need to be more selective here. I wouldn't put my kids in the one with no gym either, which I think was the one you were in. MCAS isn't perfect by any means, but when these kids are actually outperforming those other districts its pretty compelling.

I've heard great things about some of the Arlington elementary schools, but the middle school seems to be where the concerns are. There is also a high attrition rate going into 9th grade.

Arlington Center is walkable, yes.
My kids have experienced multiple schools in the west Somerville/Porter area. We've lived it. While I appreciate your experience of knowing a few families who've moved, your views seems limited given that you haven't lived and breathed other communities. I don't think it should be surprising, for example, that 2 teachers have masters from Ivy schools. In any case I'm glad the schools seem to be improving.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Does that include pta funding, school fundraisers and other school initiatives? The perks for kids are outstanding.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Funding also comes in the form of private donations, booster clubs and fundraisers. So that is hard to determine. My old schools music department would blow Somerville's out of the water. That's of course if you are willing to believe it.
Exactly. The overall parent and community involvement- private donations etc makes such a big, big difference. Had I not witnessed it myself, it would be hard to grasp the difference that makes.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Wow, what school? Are you familiar with the El Sistema program that was implemented? Big commitment to music, after all it is a community with many artists.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/201...w3M/story.html

Btw you may want to open up your rental unit via AirBNB to the Lonely Planet toting tourists that will be flooding in soon! The "most unexpectedly exciting places" of 2016 http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/travel...tes-2016-feat/

What a weird list

Old 02-11-2016, 01:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Wow, what school? Are you familiar with the El Sistema program that was implemented? Big commitment to music, after all it is a community with many artists.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/201...w3M/story.html
Lincoln Sudbury. That is a great program, but I'm referring to my highschool. If you want more info you can PM me, as yet another thread has once again been derailed by feel-good articles and "irrefutable" facts about the superiority of Somerville.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Also to OP.. Very bike friendly. Tons of commuters to Cambridge, Boston etc. even in this weather. Bike path cuts through towns and kids bike to school, fields etc in nicer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts