Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 PM

550 posts, read 680,716 times

Advertisements

She is moving because Andover has the highest kindergarten tuition in the state! Also before and afterschool care is not offered while other surrounding district offer afterschool care right in the schools. I met a mom who has 4 kids under the age of 5 and she's definitely buying a home elsewhere instead of paying $20k for kindergarten alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
FWIW, Lynnfield will have free all day kindergarten for the next school year, if you want to base your decision on kindergarten costs, and they have an in school before and after school program.

I'll stand my ground that no one ever desired to move from Andover to Middleton. Andover is so much more desirable it's not even worth having this discussion.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 PM

404 posts, read 526,601 times
2.5 yr old and 2nd due this summer.

Education is #1 on our priorities but i dont base it on a ridiculous oversimplified website that changes methodology every 2 secs. Comparing/debating elementary school rankings of andover vs middleton is hilarious.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
2.5 yr old and 2nd due this summer.

Education is #1 on our priorities but i dont base it on a ridiculous oversimplified website that changes methodology every 2 secs. Comparing/debating elementary school rankings of andover vs middleton is hilarious.
Lots of posters come on this site comparing schools in Newton/Lexington mind you both are excellent school districts. Yet they still want the best one. Rankings to some parents mean everything. I don't think that's the reason why she is considering Middleton. Kindergarten cost and after school care is a big factor here

Old 04-07-2016, 08:11 AM

[quote=gf2020;43626174]FWIW, Lynnfield will have free all day kindergarten for the next school year, if you want to base your decision on kindergarten costs, and they have an in school before and after school program.

I'll stand my ground that no one ever desired to move from Andover to Middleton. Andover is so much more desirable it's not even worth having this discussion.[/QUO

The only reason why Andover would be more desirable to some is because it's a bigger town and it has highway access. Some people actually like a small town feel. Look at Boxford just as small as Middleton but much more affluent than Andover.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:55 AM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
FWIW, Lynnfield will have free all day kindergarten for the next school year, if you want to base your decision on kindergarten costs, and they have an in school before and after school program.
Is this baked yet? I thought there was a vote coming?

With two kids under 5 this will be a welcome addition.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
The bottom line is the OP may not be able to afford Andover and is looking for a lower cost of living.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:45 PM

7 posts, read 10,816 times
Thanks so much, everyone. Our family has decided to move from Andover to Middleton. There are quite a few reasons for our choice. Here are some of them:
- we love the small town feel of Middleton
- we love the fact that full day kindergarten is free
- we love that there is super affordable after school care right at the school that our children will be attending
- we love the small class size and great student:teacher ratio at the elementary schools
- Middleton's elementary school is ranked higher on great schools and overall has higher MCAS scores than the elementary school in Andover our children would be attending; I know some have commented that this is not a good way to compare Andover vs. Middleton, but it is the way we did it
- we were able to get a new, updated home in Middleton; for the same price, in Andover, we would have only been able to get a small 1950s cape near the highway
- Middleton seems more down to earth and less flashy

Thank you again for all of your feedback everyone! While our choice to move to Middleton from Andover may be surprising to many for our family it makes sense.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,816 times
sal1181 -- all of your comments were right on point!

Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutoringbyprof View Post
sal1181 -- all of your comments were right on point!
Congrats on your decision! Middleton is a wonderful town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts