Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

What Happened to Worcester?
A central Massachusetts city enabled the author’s ancestors to move into the good life of
the middle class. That move is more complicated now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/ma...l?recp=16&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM

344 posts, read 336,648 times
290 happened.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What Happened to Worcester?
A central Massachusetts city enabled the author’s ancestors to move into the good life of
the middle class. That move is more complicated now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/ma...l?recp=16&_r=0

That was an interesting article. So the city, like many others, was a gateway for immigrants who went from being dirt poor to a middle class lifestyle. The children of that new middle class were able to become educated. But with the loss of industry, there's little left for anyone who's not a medical professional or an educator.

The pictures do look drab and dreary, symbols of the city's deterioration. It's another large MA city that needs to make a comeback. I've only been to Worcester a few times but one visit was to a concert at Mechanics Hall--excellent acoustics and a city treasure.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The pictures do look drab and dreary, symbols of the city's deterioration. It's another large MA city that needs to make a comeback. I've only been to Worcester a few times but one visit was to a concert at Mechanics Hall--excellent acoustics and a city treasure.
Worcester certainly could use some improvement; however, articles like this portray the city in a very dreary manner ... one which isn't necessarily honest to the complexities of Worcester's wealth/industry.

Campuses such as WPI, Holy Cross, and UMass Med compare quite favorably on the national level, based on my travels throughout the midwest. Additionally, The Flagg/Salisbury St. area of Worcester is home to some of the best housing stock in all of MA and remains quite wealthy/maintained. I was driving around the area yesterday as I was in town and adore the local architecture. Within a 2 mile radius one can see prime examples of every notable style of post-colonial American architecture - victorian/shingle style, craftsman/bungalow/foursquare, federal revival, tudor, spanish revival, various stages of modernism ranging from early '40s Wright or Gropius inspired homes, west coast influenced '60's mid-century customs, and more contemporary '80's/'90s customs. This is not what decline looks like:

The yuppies slightly east (e.g., Shrewsbury, Westborough) might deride Worcester from the confines of their Toll Brother McMansion, but the dirty little secret is those in west side of Worcester are living to a higher standard. The schools are sub-standard, but RE costs what they are, private schooling isn't an unreasonable path for small well off families ... particularly when one realizes what 300-400k buys in, say, Shrewsbury vs. Worcester.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:03 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
I'm concerned my above post might be interpreted in a way which I did not intend, so let me clarify my Worcester perspective:

Worcester has real tangible issues, which can be felt by every member of Worcester's diverse population - whether it be neighborhood crime and poverty or the pothole ridden road leading a white collar worker to their manicured home. There's issues. They're not going away soon, or maybe ever.

But Worcester does not fit the decline narrative like many of the U.S.'s truly abandoned cities. We're talking about a city which has retained thousands of well maintained, well funded, and well occupied residential properties. The desirable neighborhoods are, some 100+ years later, still very desirable. It's a city which has a diverse and expanding higher ed presence. It's a city which has, at the national level, very competent healthcare offerings and a respected teaching hospital in UMass. It's a city which retains a diverse population and, more importantly, has businesses and venues which reflect this diversity.

It's a city that, if it were not for Boston, would have some pride. But Boston has better hospitals. But Boston has better universities. But Boston has better destinations. But Boston has better jobs.

Worcester has it's issues, but it's primary issue is not it's manufacturing decline, it's MA's inability to see beyond Boston. It's recovery or failure is dictated by the Boston juggernaut.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:10 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,914,913 times
I would argue that thanks to Worcester, it's suburbs are the only places on Massachusetts that a family can buy a reasonably priced home and have access to a cluster of jobs within the same industry.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:57 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Thanks for the insightful post. It does sound like Worcester has a lot going for it.

I heard that train service from Worcester to Boston started today--just one trip though. Do you think that will help Worcester?

Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks for the insightful post. It does sound like Worcester has a lot going for it.

I heard that train service from Worcester to Boston started today--just one trip though. Do you think that will help Worcester?
Well, there is commuter rail service every day already.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,810,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, there is commuter rail service every day already.
The direct Worcester to Boston train started today.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
The direct Worcester to Boston train started today.
As in non stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts