Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 04:03 PM

842 posts, read 551,351 times

Advertisements

I recall I have been to the one in Burlington several times.

It was awkward because I was always the only customer in the restaurant, which looks like a Swedish/Norwegian flat.
I don't even remember what they have. I probably ate some cold sandwich.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/11/06...chapter-eleven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 05:09 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
I do like meat alternatives sometimes but this place never appealed to me. Their food options are strange and not necessarily healthy. Very "bready" and sweet and I felt like they were always trying to imitate regular food like pizza and burgers with veggie alternatives that are overpriced and not great tasting. When I want veggies, I order salads or steamed veggie dishes, not veggie sandwiches, double chocolate pancakes, or pizza. Eh, I guess it worked for some people but it didn't appeal to me.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:06 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Another case of the risk showing up when one has too much debt.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:43 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Too much expansion since the original store? I believe it first opened in Central Square Cambridge maybe 20 years ago?

Pre-pandemic, that store was 24/7, I think. Even bathroom access.

But to me it has a weird, sterile vibe. Lots of white surfaces (?) and I think fluorescent lighting? Maybe the new stores have a different ambiance?

I think they had cookbooks on display for sale in the original store. Fresh jars of peanut butter if I recall....not sure if ground on premises.

I think they serve falafel wraps?

I am vegetarian but was never excited by going in there, though I tried a few times over the years.

Does this mean they'll close all stores...maybe just a few?

I think I'd prefer Figs, b. Good, Honeygrow, Sweetgreen, LiveAlive Organic, etc. -- which I don't think existed when Clover Food lab first opened? Too much competition now?

I don't want to see them leave; maybe I should give them another try.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:50 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I feel like they had a pretty good run. They were interesting and different when they first opened. There weren't many places or food trucks for that matter that you could go to to get a chick pea fritter or a vegan bacon BLT. These days there are so many places in the city that offer similar or even more unique options. Didn't they have to close down once over health issues?

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...ella-concerns/

The writing has kind of been on the wall:

https://www.cloverfoodlab.com/sad-news-about-cloverbby/

Old 11-08-2023, 08:02 AM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
I'm not a vegetarian but I like Clover sometimes. Genuinely tasty food, they mastered some of the savory tastes you generally only get from meat, so I think it has broader appeal than a lot of vegan joints. Their takeout app was solid too.

It's nice to experience new types of food rather than having a soup/sandwich every damn day.

It is kinda pricy and I think they overexpanded too fast. Pandemic and WFH probably were the nail in the coffin. Hope somebody keeps at least one branch going.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
I'm not a vegetarian but I like Clover sometimes. Genuinely tasty food, they mastered some of the savory tastes you generally only get from meat, so I think it has broader appeal than a lot of vegan joints. Their takeout app was solid too.

It's nice to experience new types of food rather than having a soup/sandwich every damn day.

It is kinda pricy and I think they overexpanded too fast. Pandemic and WFH probably were the nail in the coffin. Hope somebody keeps at least one branch going.
Yes, hopefully they keep some sort of presence. Like b.Good had a few spots left, at least for now.

Now Boloco (BOston LOcal COmpany) will shut down most or all of their burrito shops very soon. Clover is local. I assume, like Clover. Sad. I think they admitted the pandemic and competition did them in?

At least one local spot is expanding, as Blue Ribbon BBQ just opened a small spot in TimeOut Market!

Old 11-08-2023, 04:40 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I never went to any of their standalone restaurants, but their setup in Whole Foods was really smart. The Sudbury store used to be on my way home, so if I stopped for afterwork groceries but didn't feel like cooking after I got home, I could grab a sandwich. Their fresh hummus is good, and pita even better.

On one of my last stops, I looked up the menu (because it always rotated seasonally) and was surprised to see how many stores had opened. It definitely feels like they moved too big too soon.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:01 PM

Ooops. *Boloco* is local I think, like Clover.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I never went to any of their standalone restaurants, but their setup in Whole Foods was really smart. The Sudbury store used to be on my way home, so if I stopped for afterwork groceries but didn't feel like cooking after I got home, I could grab a sandwich. Their fresh hummus is good, and pita even better.

On one of my last stops, I looked up the menu (because it always rotated seasonally) and was surprised to see how many stores had opened. It definitely feels like they moved too big too soon.
Hmmm...I like store-bought hummus...I'll have to try Clover's. I like tabouille also so maybe they offer that also.

Have never seen their presence at Whole Foods Market near or in the city.

And I think they *maybe* dabbled in ice cream? Still do? At least years ago but maybe just the original shop? Not sure if it would be vegan or just traditional but local and all-natural ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts