Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:49 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times

Advertisements

Well, looks like MBTA fares are going up July 1st. I ride the T almost every day, 2x/day.

Although my link pass is subsidized by my employer, I still feel like the cost is too high already for what I use it for. Maybe I should move at the farthest end of a subway line and then I'll feel like I am getting more value. And those commuter rail costs...holy mother of mercy!

Do you think the Fare is fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:59 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
It all depends on your perspective. My wife takes the commuter rail everyday. Her pass is $222 a month but she pays less as her company subsidizes it. She spends appx. 1.5 hours a day commuting. If she were to drive into Boston everyday, parking would run at least $100 a week, spend much more on fuel, and she would spend close to 2 hours a day commuting. For her, it's a no brainer.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
I think they should have raised it more and put the money into the system. It should be at least on part with SF which has like 5 train stops in the entire city, and Chicago which has an equivalent system (though I found the MBTA buses to be a bit more reliable).

Old 06-03-2016, 11:57 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think they should have raised it more and put the money into the system. It should be at least on part with SF which has like 5 train stops in the entire city, and Chicago which has an equivalent system (though I found the MBTA buses to be a bit more reliable).
Agreed. Many will argue that the MBTA is adding further financial burden to users who are already heavily burdened, but at some point the MBTA needs to operate more like a free market business. Compared to an Uber ride or buying, registering, insuring, operating, and maintaining a vehicle ... it's a screaming deal and should command more $$$.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,702,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Agreed. Many will argue that the MBTA is adding further financial burden to users who are already heavily burdened, but at some point the MBTA needs to operate more like a free market business. Compared to an Uber ride or buying, registering, insuring, operating, and maintaining a vehicle ... it's a screaming deal and should command more $$$.
My zone 4 pass is going up to $263/month plus $4/day for parking. It's a rip off at that price.

Thankfully my employer pays half of the pass but still that's over $2,400/year to commute. At a certain point they will just bleed the ridership dry and force people to carpool.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
As I recall, it was either raise the fare or eliminate certain bus routes/commuter rail frequency. Neither are great choices, but I'll take the fare hike if they are the only options.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
As I recall, it was either raise the fare or eliminate certain bus routes/commuter rail frequency. Neither are great choices, but I'll take the fare hike if they are the only options.
Commuter rail frequency is a joke as it is. If they cut it anymore they won't have any riders left.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:38 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
My zone 4 pass is going up to $263/month plus $4/day for parking. It's a rip off at that price.

Thankfully my employer pays half of the pass but still that's over $2,400/year to commute. At a certain point they will just bleed the ridership dry and force people to carpool.
A rip off compared to what? A rip off implies you can get equal services for less elsewhere. I'm not seeing how this is possible without a ride share scenario.

I'm going to assume, based on the zone 4 comment, your commute is roughly 23 miles one way. If you assume 49 working weeks, that's ~11,300 miles a year. Assuming a generous 30mpg average and gas prices in the low $2.XX range, that's ~$900 just in gas. Add vehicle depreciation, tolls (if any), Boston parking, and time lost (for those grinding out creative contractor jobs). I'm not sure you'll come out ahead.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
A rip off compared to what? A rip off implies you can get equal services for less elsewhere. I'm not seeing how this is possible without a ride share scenario.

I'm going to assume, based on the zone 4 comment, your commute is roughly 23 miles one way. If you assume 49 working weeks, that's ~11,300 miles a year. Assuming a generous 30mpg average and gas prices in the low $2.XX range, that's ~$900 just in gas. Add vehicle depreciation, tolls (if any), Boston parking, and time lost (for those grinding out creative contractor jobs). I'm not sure you'll come out ahead.
I've done the drive (work in Cambridge). It takes about the same amount of time as the commuter rail and I wouldn't be beholden to a horrible schedule and completely random delays that happen way to frequently.

For sure driving wouldn't be a picnic and probably wouldn't save much money but driving would give me a bit more flexibility than I currently have.

My biggest issue is every fare increase results in worse service.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,730,559 times
Quote:
I don't think public transportation should be a free market business. It is a public good and it benefits even those who don't use it, as it eases the traffic burden. It's also always nice to have the public transportation system available, even as a backup. I've lived in places with no public transportation, and it is awful. We need much more public transit in this country.

I think the fare increase is fair. There is a cost to operating the system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts