Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 PM

16 posts, read 13,055 times

Advertisements

ECPCVC - thanks for clarifying as I looked at Lexington's elementary school and noticed that they have changed to full day for kindergarten. I'm happy to hear that maybe in the good school districts they are less likely to cut certain programs.

Salamandersmile- you bring up many good points especially about the weather. It was very insightful what you said about how MA essentially invented the test. Here in FL i sometimes feel that have welcomed being the guinea pigs of high stake testing with open arms. So many of the horror stories that the Washington Post writes about gives FL as an example. But I definitely will keep my eyes open about MA. I'm not against testing, but the way the school districts near me have implemented is frightening - that's all. I still believe in public education.

Chicagoliz - yes there are other elements but the other elements I'm not struggling with and am clear as to the pros and cons of each. It is the education part that I'm struggling with and doing my research before I visit. I actually have considered other parts of Boston but don't have any questions about that at this time.

Last edited by lenahl; 12-18-2016 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: hit submit too quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 08:13 PM

I realize the criteria for a good school is different for different people. So I'm going to go out on a limb and put together my wishlist. I'm looking for a school that is focused on fostering a joy in learning and life-long curiosity. For kids when they are little to have a little fun while learning. And when they are older for the kids to aim as high as they can. My kids don't have to go to the Ivies but would be great if they thought it was at least achievable.

I'd like the kids to have recess and other enrichment programs. For the school not to be overcrowded and for everyone to speak English at school. To have other parents who are involved and also want their kids to get into top colleges / get a job. For the teachers to teach and not just teach to the test or have the kids teach themselves on the computer.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:42 PM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
Just to be clear I don't live in Lexington anymore. To be honest, I think Lexington would be too high pressure for what you are looking for. Many public/private schools in the MA area would probably be a better fit. Why just Lexington?

Old 01-27-2017, 04:59 PM

14 posts, read 14,766 times
I would love to hear what school systems you think match the criteria listed here. We are looking at a move to MA from Los Angeles and have the same criteria - good schools that are prioritizing children's love of learning vs. just homework and testing. Realize testing will always be an important part of public schools but we had ruled out Lexington because I feel that it's too much of a pressure cooker (I grew up in MA and this was my impression.) We are looking at Brookline, Newton, Wellesley and Arlington.

Thank you!

Old 01-27-2017, 06:54 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I live in Lexington. It's a very nice town with highly rated schools, but the going price for a normal single family house is ridiculous. In another 10 years there will be no housing in town except McMansions, condos, and giant apartment complexes.

If you have a million dollars to spend on a house, it's great.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms0479 View Post
I would love to hear what school systems you think match the criteria listed here. We are looking at a move to MA from Los Angeles and have the same criteria - good schools that are prioritizing children's love of learning vs. just homework and testing. Realize testing will always be an important part of public schools but we had ruled out Lexington because I feel that it's too much of a pressure cooker (I grew up in MA and this was my impression.) We are looking at Brookline, Newton, Wellesley and Arlington.

Thank you!
I'm still asking myself the same question but I think it is hard to say / generalize that one particular school system matches the criteria listed here. Even in neighboring towns e.g. Winchester schools may be very different from Lexington school. Even within a school one teacher might be really good while others not so much.

I've heard the same thing about Lexington being a pressure cooker but that is also what I grew up with while still loving learning. Good luck. No easy or right answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts