Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 06:42 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Right, let's get back to hand-wringing about a memo that someone's friend told him about. We still don't know what it actually said and neither does the OP, but let's get outraged anyway, like the OP seems to want us to.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,745 times
I have a friend who works at Hanover High and she said there was a memo that says that teachers should require students to pledge their allegiance to Trump, not the flag. You don't believe me? Fascists!

You see how easy that is?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I'm no fan of the left myself, but without seeing the memo myself I really can't form an opinion here. Just Hearsay really.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
I don't agree with the school's decision, but I understand where they're coming from and why this is a very sensitive topic for schools in particular.

Something that really confused me over the course of the 2016 campaign, confused me far more when Trump won, and honestly continues to confuse me even though I've given it a lot of serious thought, is how Trump could have won when the values he represents are so much in conflict with the values I was raised with. I'm not talking about liberal values or conservative values -- I'm talking about what I thought were just plain old American values. I was raised in the Northeast, but I've asked a lot of people who were raised in more socially conservative areas in middle America, and they all say they got the same messages growing up.

I'm talking about really simple, elementary ideas, like, "Bullying is always bad, and bullies must ultimately be defeated." Like, "You can disagree with others, but you should always be respectful." Like, "People should not be judged on their physical appearance." Like, "You can't just say whatever you want and have it be true." Like, "Our leaders must always conform to American political traditions." Like, "You shouldn't insult people who have sacrificed in war." Like, "It's wrong to mock the disabled." And so on and so forth.

Now, people grow up and they forget some of these messages -- after all, these messages are imparted to children largely because they go against certain baser aspects of human nature -- but schools probably see Trump in general, and in particular his victory, as a direct contradiction of everything they've been teaching their students. "Bullies ultimately lose." Well, here's a case where the bully won, and he won in large part precisely because he was a bully. So I can see why they'd want to avoid the subject altogether, though I definitely agree that it's reality and they should be confronting it instead.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Well, here's a case where the bully won, and he won in large part precisely because he was a bully.
If you truly believe that, then you really don't understand the issues surrounding this past election.

You also disregard who Trump was running against, and her own electability.

As far is this "story goes"; I agree that if it is accurate, then it is nothing short of outrageous. It is tough to believe, but then again stranger things have happened in the schools recently...But as of now, it is nothing more than hearsay and should be treated as such.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If you truly believe that, then you really don't understand the issues surrounding this past election.

You also disregard who Trump was running against, and her own electability.
I actually think I understand the issues surrounding the election very well; I've certainly spent many, many hours reading about them and reflecting on them. But what I was raised to believe, and I think most other people were raised to believe as well, is that it doesn't matter what the issues raised are -- if someone is clearly a bad person, we don't reward them by electing them president, and bullies are bad people.

I have somewhat complex opinions of Hillary that would be highly off topic to share here, but I'll just say this: Insofar as she was a poor candidate, she was a poor candidate in a conventional way, with some of the same accusations against her that have dogged many candidates at all levels of office. Trump was a poor candidate in entirely new ways that I think contravened these basic value systems that we're all raised with.

I'll just give you one example, which I alluded to in my previous post: His statement that John McCain wasn't a war hero "because he was captured." I've racked my brain for hours -- I'm not exaggerating on this -- trying to imagine a scenario where that statement wouldn't have ended anyone else's campaign instantly, even if followed up by a profuse and sincere apology, and I can't come up with one.

Schools are trying to teach children that you can't say things like that and get away with it.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:09 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Not the OP's fault he doesn't have a copy.
But it is OPs fault for deciding to post about it on a public forum without anything to substantiate his claims. He deserves to be scrutinized, particularly with so many willing to perpetuate "alternative facts" ... and especially given his post history.

There's a tolerance for this type of stuff on the NH board and does, in my opinion, the forum and state a disservice.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:23 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
This is a Forum. A place for discussion. This is not a courtroom where we all have to present hard evidence to back-up our opinions and beliefs. Doesn't matter anyway, anyone can photoshop a document in 5 minutes these days.

We all have our divergent opinions. I know I won't change a libs mind anymore than they will change mine. Ain't happening. It is what it is.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:23 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I actually think I understand the issues surrounding the election very well; I've certainly spent many, many hours reading about them and reflecting on them. But what I was raised to believe, and I think most other people were raised to believe as well, is that it doesn't matter what the issues raised are -- if someone is clearly a bad person, we don't reward them by electing them president, and bullies are bad people.

I have somewhat complex opinions of Hillary that would be highly off topic to share here, but I'll just say this: Insofar as she was a poor candidate, she was a poor candidate in a conventional way, with some of the same accusations against her that have dogged many candidates at all levels of office. Trump was a poor candidate in entirely new ways that I think contravened these basic value systems that we're all raised with.

I'll just give you one example, which I alluded to in my previous post: His statement that John McCain wasn't a war hero "because he was captured." I've racked my brain for hours -- I'm not exaggerating on this -- trying to imagine a scenario where that statement wouldn't have ended anyone else's campaign instantly, even if followed up by a profuse and sincere apology, and I can't come up with one.

Schools are trying to teach children that you can't say things like that and get away with it.
I disagree on Hillary as far as the seriousness (or lack thereof) of her transgressions, but we'll just leave it at that...

Either way, both candidates were seriously flawed in entirely different ways. As far as I was concerned, they both lacked the traits required of any leader and therefore unfit for office. So while I think some good (and needed) change will come from the Trump administration in some areas at least, I just couldn't vote for him nor could I vote for Hillary. Unfortunately, most voters believe that a 3rd Party/Write-in/blank ballot is a wasted vote which I strongly disagree with.

But where I disagree with you most perhaps, is the role of the schools. I believe the best solution for the declining sense of "right and wrong" (which I happen to agree with myself) is the encouragement of open, (and while always a demand for respect and civility) uncensored dialogue.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But where I disagree with you most perhaps, is the role of the schools. I believe the best solution for the declining sense of "right and wrong" (which I happen to agree with myself) is the encouragement of open, (and while always a demand for respect and civility) uncensored dialogue.
Actually, I agree with you there, and I disagree with the school -- I mentioned that a couple of times in my posts but kind of glossed over it. I was just saying that I understand where the school is coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts