Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:15 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. Shes a real warrior of the people...

With her new pay raise & all

Mayor Walsh Endorses Legislative Pay Raises | WGBH News

Good for her! But she may not take it, it seems, if you read it.

It's shocking that these positions haven't received increases in so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,944 times
They are way overpaid. I much prefer NH's model of a few hundred dollars.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
They are way overpaid. I much prefer NH's model of a few hundred dollars.
That's a great way to get the rich and the least qualified to aspire to do public service.

NH shows it.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's a great way to get the rich and the least qualified to aspire to do public service.

NH shows it.
I'd like to see some facts to back up your statement. Not that you and I will ever agree on anything.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:03 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
They way the AG explained it on the radio was something like 'the law had been on the books but not enforced, she sent a letter saying she intended to start enforcing it.'

The interpretation part comes from the original law which I'm guessing was not very specific so, with minor modifications , military assault style weapons were being sold.

She believes she will win the challenge because the intent of the law.

That said, I am not a supporter of military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines. I am however a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. The AG is WAAAYYYY to overboard with her depiction as guns as all things evil.
She did have my support because she is a strong environmental advocate... until yesterday. She was on the radio and acted the classic slimy, dirtbag, politician with her non answers on the 44% pay raise. She acted like she had no idea about it and doesn't even think about it. THAT is her new low.

It's excessive and she should have said so.

And just like that I have no faith in her anymore.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see some facts to back up your statement. Not that you and I will ever agree on anything.

Facts for common sense? If the positions don't pay a decent wage, it's only those that have personal wealth or those that have no other options (or are supported by others... wink wink) can afford to do it.

Duh.

If a decent wage is paid, it doesn't even need to be market rate, but close (as people will often take less pay for public service, it is rewarding), we can get a broader the better pool of candidates.

Unless you believe salary doesn't impact the pool of candidates a position gets?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Facts for common sense? If the positions don't pay a decent wage, it's only those that have personal wealth or those that have no other options (or are supported by others... wink wink) can afford to do it.

Duh.

If a decent wage is paid, it doesn't even need to be market rate, but close (as people will often take less pay for public service, it is rewarding), we can get a broader the better pool of candidates.

Unless you believe salary doesn't impact the pool of candidates a position gets?
You said they were "the least qualified"...your words, not mine. Unless you can document that, you should rescind your statement about NH legislators.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:36 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
They way the AG explained it on the radio was something like 'the law had been on the books but not enforced, she sent a letter saying she intended to start enforcing it.'

The interpretation part comes from the original law which I'm guessing was not very specific so, with minor modifications , military assault style weapons were being sold.

The law specifically bans "copies or duplicates" of specific weapons and does list the Colt AR15 and AK47. What the law doesn't do is clarify what a copy/duplicate is. The AG's "enforcement notice" simply changed the way a copy was defined from the previous method used since 1994.

The lawsuit against the AG's actions was actually filed in Federal court this part Monday.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 01-25-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM

This is going way off the OP's topic, but everyone should research the NH legislature. It's actually setup in a way the gets alot of citizen participation with 400+ members in the lower house. This is a good thing and allows the non-elite citizens to run. Part of the problem in MA is we're represented by a bunch of elites (and I'd bet most are, in fact, wealthy).

I've known a few NH legislators over the years. One was a general contractor (not a big outfit, either) and the other laid tile for a living. Definitely not elites by any definition. I see that as a big plus.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:14 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
This is going way off the OP's topic, but everyone should research the NH legislature. It's actually setup in a way the gets alot of citizen participation with 400+ members in the lower house. This is a good thing and allows the non-elite citizens to run. Part of the problem in MA is we're represented by a bunch of elites (and I'd bet most are, in fact, wealthy).

I've known a few NH legislators over the years. One was a general contractor (not a big outfit, either) and the other laid tile for a living. Definitely not elites by any definition. I see that as a big plus.
They work PT in NH, just like most city councilors and school committee members in MA do. Just like with the latter, it doesn't appear to have an adverse effect on how that state is run.

Now with these "career pols" in MA, it would be one thing if they put in FT hours...While a few of them do, way too many of them do not. They are mostly a bunch of lawyers who treat the legislature as a side gig. Look up how many votes some of them miss, it is a disgrace. How is MA any better served now than it would be with the NH model? That state seems much better run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts