Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times

Advertisements

As someone from the metro west, I'd go Hingham over Norwell or Duxbury by a wide margin.

Follow the trending prices near the city, follow waterfront development, and follow public transportation. Education rankings, housing appreciation, and overall convenience will continue to follow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:47 AM

55 posts, read 87,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As someone from the metro west, I'd go Hingham over Norwell or Duxbury by a wide margin.

Follow the trending prices near the city, follow waterfront development, and follow public transportation. Education rankings, housing appreciation, and overall convenience will continue to follow.
The commuting time from Hingham to Boston is no different than it would be from Norwell. Neither is a cakewalk. Keep in mind that Hingham is easily the most expensive housing-wise of the three towns. All three towns are really solid when it comes to schools but Hingham easily wins in terms of commercial development.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:05 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsox15 View Post
The commuting time from Hingham to Boston is no different than it would be from Norwell. Neither is a cakewalk. Keep in mind that Hingham is easily the most expensive housing-wise of the three towns. All three towns are really solid when it comes to schools but Hingham easily wins in terms of commercial development.
The difference also is hingham has the boat rather than rail or bus. Some of the commercial development in hingham is ok. Walburgers is way overrated. Go to the beer works across it's much better. I remember Derby shops back in the 80's much different now but now there's a Whole Foods in Weymouth. Hingham looks nice but to be frank the "magic" died out.

I used to work with a woman who was living there and grew up there. Pretty stubborn and sheltered. She moved out to South Boston, matured quite a bit and never looked back.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:40 AM

10 posts, read 21,524 times
I am reading and following all these responses. I must say that all of these perspectives are really insightful and helpful. Choosing between Duxbury, Norwell (and Hingham) is a tough call. I am encouraged that residents in all three towns seem to have very positive experiences. My husband and I love all three towns, so the deciding factor will definitely be the schools and the town's sense of community. My concern is the Norwell middle and elementary schools seem to be struggling, while the high school ranks very highly. This doesn't make sense to me. However, Norwell has a terrific extracurricular program for kids (and even adults). Homes in Norwell are spread out, which we like, but does that mean people keep to themselves? The schools in Hingham are terrific, but what is the parent culture like? Is it inclusive or competitive? The schools in Duxbury are also terrific. But there doesn't seem to be too much offered outside of sports. Also important, as kids turn into teenagers (I have a 12-year old), which town has enough to keep them occupied?

Thank you again for everyone's perspectives. It is most helpful to hear from residents when you are making a move from out of state. Even driving through a town can't give you the proper insight.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 AM

779 posts, read 876,898 times
I will try to keep this to-the-point as I tend to ramble! I can't speak to every question, but am happy to share my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForLabs View Post
My concern is the Norwell middle and elementary schools seem to be struggling, while the high school ranks very highly.
I shared the same concern when moving to Norwell (we had rented homes in Duxbury and Hingham among other town before buying in Norwell, but that was prior to having kids--we just wanted a sense of the culture). Our realtor lived in Norwell and put three of her children through Norwell schools starting in Kindergarten and loved the school system. Since buying, I have several coworkers who grew up in Norwell and whose kids are in the Norwell school district and are happy. I also have many friends/coworkers in Hingham who love the schools there. Others may have better insight as to why the elementary/middle schools rank lower in Norwell, I really don't know. I've also talked with people extensively about the two elementary schools in Norwell because we are zoned for one, but are on the bus line for the other, so we can technically choose either school (our neighbor did this). All of my friends who have kids in both elementary schools love them both, so we're just sticking with the one for which we are zoned.

Quote:
Homes in Norwell are spread out, which we like, but does that mean people keep to themselves?
If I'm being honest, one of the selling factors of Norwell for me was the large, private lots. I grew up in a very rural area and I like my privacy. If I was out in my back yard gardening and looking a mess in a bikini, I didn't want my neighbors to see. Or if my family was eating dinner outside during the summer (we do this a lot), I didn't want to be awkwardly staring at my neighbor watering his flowers or have to deal with lawn mower noise right next to our house. I still value all of those things, but now that I have school-aged kids, having a more tight-knit neighborhood where there are kids close by to play with/catch the bus with/etc. sounds nice. There are definitely areas of Norwell like that, I wish I had been more thoughtful of that and not wanted something so secluded when house hunting. That being said, I think you really feel that sense of community once your kids start school and you really get to know the other parents. Or even when kids are old enough to start doing more activities/classes that are offered around town (that's how i got to know other parents). Plus, there are definitely groups in town. My friend is part of a town running club. I know there is a womens club where you meet at somebody's house once a month. People really tend to rally around the businesses and it does feel very communal. Until everybody goes home to their private lots

Quote:
The schools in Hingham are terrific, but what is the parent culture like? Is it inclusive or competitive?
I'm not an expert on this, but both of my kids went/are going to preschool in Hingham and I have many friends with kids who live there, so I talk quite a bit with them about it. The truth is that I nearly ALL the parents I have met in Hingham have been very down-to-earth and have the same concerns I do (want great schools without it being a pressure-cooker culture). Most of my friends bought in Hingham because of the schools. There are definitely some "showy" people in Hingham--you can pick them out pretty quickly at school events. But the vast majority are completely normal and just trying to give their kids the best opportunity they can. I do think it can get competitive at the high school level--my coworkers whose kids are at Hingham High often talk about the multiple hours of homework every night coupled with sports commitments. I think there was some talk about shifting the start time of the high school to try to help with this. Anyway, I don't think this is something unique to Hingham, but I do understand how it can be tough for students in the upper grades.

I wish you tons of luck with your hunt--I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these towns.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,639 times
Yikes all tough towns for kids to deal with the school and culture. Hingham is definitely going to be tough for a newcomer. If you are not distinguished in that area already I’m not thinking it is highly likely that your child would be accepted easily although everything is possible and wishing for the best. Fiercely aggressive competing parents and pressure cooker. Duxbury is the same way although they have less money than people think they believe that they are incredibly important and shun outsiders. Norwell still has the good school systems and seems to be the least threatening choice out of these three particularly towards the children and how they will assimilate. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts