Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
A lot of people are stretched very thin and would be unable to survive if they lost their job. People are just reluctant to discuss the negative aspects of their finances with friends.
yeah, i obviously dont ask details and i of course know people who have high salaries or have parents help them out. But there are a lot of people who i wonder, how do you afford your life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:21 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,145,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
yeah, i obviously dont ask details and i of course know people who have high salaries or have parents help them out. But there are a lot of people who i wonder, how do you afford your life...
Could be a social bubble as well. My social network has plenty of couples pulling 160-190K gross who bemoan the cost of housing and cannot afford to buy inside the 128 belt despite it being a want. Few, if any, are making it 'look easy'.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:42 PM

193 posts, read 279,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
A lot of people are stretched very thin and would be unable to survive if they lost their job. People are just reluctant to discuss the negative aspects of their finances with friends.
And currently the economy in MA is good, so you don't have a lot of people losing their jobs. People aren't talking about having to move now, but the tune may change if a recession hits and job loss begins.

People do questionable things to appear to be keeping up - one friend took out a 401K loan to go on vacation; another is pinned to an ARM that resets in two years. Credit cards are offering me 18 months no interest no payments on the daily. Right now, there are a lot of ways to hide/defer debt.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:37 AM

344 posts, read 336,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
And currently the economy in MA is good, so you don't have a lot of people losing their jobs. People aren't talking about having to move now, but the tune may change if a recession hits and job loss begins.

People do questionable things to appear to be keeping up - one friend took out a 401K loan to go on vacation; another is pinned to an ARM that resets in two years. Credit cards are offering me 18 months no interest no payments on the daily. Right now, there are a lot of ways to hide/defer debt.
Yup.

For every person (like the majority of folks on this board) who manages their CC debt to keep it cleared off, there are 2 or 3 out in the real world who are maxed out making minimum payments in an effort to keep up. For every person here who contributes a decent amount to retirement there are 3 or 4 who will" worry about it later." For everyone one of us who tries to keep their car costs as low as reasonably possible, there are 6 or 7 in the real world who buy cars they can't afford and stretch the loans out to 6 or 7 years.

Just because someone looks like they are doing well doesn't actually mean that they are.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
Yup.

For every person (like the majority of folks on this board) who manages their CC debt to keep it cleared off, there are 2 or 3 out in the real world who are maxed out making minimum payments in an effort to keep up. For every person here who contributes a decent amount to retirement there are 3 or 4 who will" worry about it later." For everyone one of us who tries to keep their car costs as low as reasonably possible, there are 6 or 7 in the real world who buy cars they can't afford and stretch the loans out to 6 or 7 years.

Just because someone looks like they are doing well doesn't actually mean that they are.

So true. Have a couple we know that we always wondered where the money came from. Now they are getting divorced and finding out it a major reason for the divorce is "keeping up with the joneses". $800K house, new cars, fancy vacations, and less than $1k in savings and no retirement.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 AM

126 posts, read 123,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I don't understand why somerville is so expensive. East Somerville basically looks the same as somewhere like Everett. Yet it costs twice as much. I don't get the allure.
neither do I

Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
neither do I
The allure is it's close to Cambridge and boston. Dorchester is also becoming alluring given people getting prices out of South end/southie
The city is expanding because the population has grown
People have no choice but to move into other areas.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So true. Have a couple we know that we always wondered where the money came from. Now they are getting divorced and finding out it a major reason for the divorce is "keeping up with the joneses". $800K house, new cars, fancy vacations, and less than $1k in savings and no retirement.
If someone can get a mortgage on an 800K house and has sufficient credit to blow on cars and vacations, then he/she is doing just fine. There's no shortage of high-paying middle-management jobs to keep those people in their McMansions and E550s/LX570s indefinitely.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
If someone can get a mortgage on an 800K house and has sufficient credit to blow on cars and vacations, then he/she is doing just fine. There's no shortage of high-paying middle-management jobs to keep those people in their McMansions and E550s/LX570s indefinitely.
Depends.

To me, "doing fine" with a 6 figure income means you're accumulating wealth. There are still tons of people using housing appreciation and home equity loans to fund an unsustainable lifestyle. If you're maxing out your 401(k) and on a trajectory to zero out the mortgage on that $800K house, sure. You're accumulating wealth. I don't think behavior has changed much from the Great Recession where millions of people who were spending everything they made and lived on credit found themselves out on the street when they had a job glitch.

Census bureau data says that 70th percentile household net worth for the 55 to 64 age bracket is about $350K. Most of the Boomers aren't accumulating wealth to be able to retire comfortably since they don't have pensions. There just aren't all that many people out there with a million dollar household net worth.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:24 AM

466 posts, read 644,455 times
We are going to have a retirement crisis in this country and it's gonna be ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts